Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2021 9:09:17 PM EDT
A-7246A, Requires persons possessing any firearm to hold a firearms safety certificate, has been amended and resubmitted to Codes.  Companion S-1192A on 3rd Reading.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Requires persons possessing any firearm to hold a firearms safety certificate.
View Quote

Will this be a add on charge to every unlicensed person that gets caught with a pistol doing their drug deals, drive by shootings or robbing a store?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Ugh the Senate bill has a ton of sponosors...I'm going to be busy on the phone tomorrow.

What about people who have owned guns for their whole lives? They now need take a 2 day class every 2 years? Or they come and confiscate your guns?

What if I can't afford the class?

What if there are no ranges anywhere near my home? I'm going to drive 4 hours every 2 years to pay for a class and a hotel room?

How is this not akin to a poll tax?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I just read the whole thing.
Are they going to dispose of the section of PL that prohibits non licensees from possessing a gun? Because there is no way as the proposed law is worded, you need to have the certificate to possess a gun, but you also cannot touch a gun unless you have a permit.

Instructor runs the course, provides an affidavit to the participant, who then goes to the sheriff for a written test?

Retired cops are exempt? THOSE are the mother***ers who need a class and then a remedial class more than anyone else.

PURPOSE:

The purpose of this act is: (1) to reduce the number of unintentional
shootings by ensuring that gun owners know how to safely use and store
firearms; and (2) to increase compliance with existing firearms laws by
requiring gun owners to demonstrate knowledge of those laws.

What statistics back up their expressed need for this? Where are the slew of unintentional shootings by lawful gun owners?

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...you need to have the certificate to possess a gun, but you also cannot touch a gun unless you have a permit.
View Quote
IIRC, that was actually a problem in the past. If you took a class before you were licensed, you could not technically even touch a handgun in the class. It was a rule that was honored more in the breach than the observation. I believe PL 265 was amended to allow for unlicensed persons to use a handgun in training. Now they are simply walking it back through their own stupidity.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#5]
This bill is physically impossible to comply with.
I'm no mathematician, but I've been crunching some numbers.
Assuming 1.2m permit holders in NYS ( found in article )

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I called all the sponsors. Left messages and spoke to some of the usual legislative directors. Told them this was a terribly ridiculous and pointless bill, and really actually an impossible bill to comply with.

I mean I've owned guns and had a carry permit for almost 20 years. I'm not going to start paying hundreds of dollars for a 2 day bullshit safety class every 2 god damn years.

Let them try and confiscate my guns for not taking the class.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#7]
S-1192B, Requires persons possessing any firearm to hold a firearms safety certificate, has been amended on 3rd Reading.

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#8]
So what's this going to cost?  5 hour classroom course, $100.00?  2 hours, instructed live fire at range, $100.00? Ammo $40? Fee from Sheriff's office to take test $45-$50?  
±$300.00 every two years, over and over again, just to keep your second amendment rights?  

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So what's this going to cost?  5 hour classroom course, $100.00?  2 hours, instructed live fire at range, $100.00? Ammo $40? Fee from Sheriff's office to take test $45-$50?  
±$300.00 every two years, over and over again, just to keep your second amendment rights?  

View Quote

Maybe a bit more, especially for the range rental and live fire.

Also, what if there are no ranges anywhere near me? Or any that are willing to rent their private range out for this course? Is the state going to force them? Or just tell people they have to travel hours and hours to find a course

And think about NYC handgun owners. I used to be one.

Almost $500 to apply for the handgun license...another $300 for the long gun loncesne...now add this safety class for another what? $500 for NYC prices?

So $1000 just to apply to own a handgun...1300 if you want a long gun too...then $500 every 2 years for the safety class...and $300 every 3 years to renew.

Fucking crazy assholes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#10]
This part is encouraging

LEGISLATIVE HISTORY:

2020: Died in Codes

2019: Died in Codes

2018: Died in Codes

2017: Died in Codes

2016: Died in Codes

2015: Died in Codes

2014: Senate Bill 573a (Gianaris) - Died in Senate Codes Committee

2013: Senate Bill 573( Gianaris) - Died in Senate Codes Committee

2013: Assembly Bill 3321 (Kavanagh) - Died in Assembly Codes Committee

2012: Senate Bill 7844 (Gianaris)- Died in Senate Rules Committee
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This part is encouraging

LEGISLATIVE HISTORY:

2020: Died in Codes

2019: Died in Codes

2018: Died in Codes

2017: Died in Codes

2016: Died in Codes

2015: Died in Codes

2014: Senate Bill 573a (Gianaris) - Died in Senate Codes Committee

2013: Senate Bill 573( Gianaris) - Died in Senate Codes Committee

2013: Assembly Bill 3321 (Kavanagh) - Died in Assembly Codes Committee

2012: Senate Bill 7844 (Gianaris)- Died in Senate Rules Committee
View Quote

Yeah but we're in clown world now. The inmates are running the asylum.

And - Orange man bad. So we must punish all who followed him.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#12]
We have an out.  "He or She" is all over the bill.  Just identify as something else.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top