Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2021 1:04:47 AM EDT
Mods - feel free to nuke if you see fit but I have read all the stickies regarding the safe act, and can't get an answer to my question.

If I'm traveling to NY state, and will be in the state for ~5 days, can I bring rifle with me that doesn't have any (or only one) of the banned features? For example, would I be okay brining an M1 Garand or a Winchester model 94 in 30-30?

Most everything I've read focuses on pistols and "assault weapons" but I can't find anything on fudd-type guns.

I will likely be traveling to and then through the state and the thought of being unarmed is unnerving. I'd rather have a fudd gun than nothing.

I've got to think this is legal given that people hunt in NY from out of state but I'm coming up empty handed.

Alternatively, would a Remington TAC 14 be legal in NY? I have to think not due to the short length but it doesn't have any banned features.

Thanks in advance for any information or links to definitive info on long arms transport and possession in NY by non-residents.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:07:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Garand is fine, Win '94 is fine.

TAC14 is also fine but I wouldn't bring it if it has a brace on it.  Raptor grip only.  

Just don't bring a handgun or an 'assault weapon'.

Enjoy your visit.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#2]
You did not mention where in New York State. Outside of New York City you are basically GTG with the advice above. NYC is a whole different country. You are generally allowed only 24 hours in NYC with an unregistered weapon (yes, long arms and shotguns are registered).
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#3]
As mentioned above, the Garand and 1894 are good to go, and despite the Federal Legality, the position of the State Police in the case of the Tac-14 is to confiscate it and let the Judge decide.
Unloaded, out of reach, stored in a case out of sight will usually suffice. Not drawing attention by speeding, lights out, etc. and you're going to be fine: this isn't East Texas where a new York Plate is probable cause for a road-side shakedown. NYC sux donkey balls and should be avoided at all costs, the rest of the State is pretty well sane.
Where are you going? From where? not being nosy, just trying to help.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As mentioned above, the Garand and 1894 are good to go, and despite the Federal Legality, the position of the State Police in the case of the Tac-14 is to confiscate it and let the Judge decide.
Unloaded, out of reach, stored in a case out of sight will usually suffice. Not drawing attention by speeding, lights out, etc. and you're going to be fine: this isn't East Texas where a new York Plate is probable cause for a road-side shakedown. NYC sux donkey balls and should be avoided at all costs, the rest of the State is pretty well sane.
Where are you going? From where? not being nosy, just trying to help.  
View Quote

Thanks for the quick replies.

Potentially driving to NY, eventually, by way of PA, then I-90 across to the Catskills, and Albany as well.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I-90 (NYS Thruway) is a Toll Road. Travels well, Troopers aren't too bad and won't bother at 74 or less.
Tolls are collected by reading your Plates and sending you an invoice.
Catskills are nice, lots to see and do, bit touristy though....unless everything goes to Hell, you're not likely to have any issues.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:12:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#7]
So, if a rifle has a detachable magazine and is semi auto then you can't have:  pistol grip, telescopic stock, threaded barrel, muzzle "break", flash suppressor, bayonet lug.  Keep mags to <=10 rounds.  If it's not semi auto, you can have all the things.  If it's semi auto and does not have a detachable magazine, you can have all the things.

Shotguns... Pump, anything is ok.  Semi-auto can't have detachable mag of any type, or pistol grip, ... I'd just keep it strictly fudd-looking.

If you're in a hurry, yea, take I90 and pay the tolls, if you have EZPass, it'll be cheaper.  Routes 5 and 20 are another way to go if you wanna see the small towns and whatnot along the way.  Even though I can see the thruway from our house, I rarely take it.

The AR pictured below is "probably" legal... or at least legal enough to have some local deputies make fun of me.
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top