Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2021 12:24:25 AM EDT
I know you guys in New York are probably tired of hearing this question, but....

Are there any circumstances where it is legal for a person outside of the state of New York to ship high capacity magazines to someone who live in the State of New York?

I had someone contact me from NY regarding the purchase of some Lanchester 50 round mags (Original).

I didn't think there were any circumstances where this was legal, or even grandfathered in the entire state.

Any help?

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#2]
OK, got it straightened out.

Guy is moving out of state. New address is legal.

Still interested in the original question, but got  the issue figured out.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know you guys in New York are probably tired of hearing this question, but....

View Quote

You're right, we are.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#4]
The original draft of unSAFE allowed for “import” of guns and standard capacity magazines 50+ years old.  For the mags one had 30 days to register them.  That said, unSAFE has been changed, provisions struck down, some reinstated, that I have no idea what stands now.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Certain high capacity magazines over 50 years old can be still be purchased and  registered as antique magazines.

Penal law 265

. A feeding device that is a curio or relic is defined as a device that (i) was manufactured at least fifty years prior to the current date, (ii) is only capable of being used exclusively in a firearm, rifle, or shotgun that was manufactured at least fifty years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof, (iii) is possessed by an individual who is not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm and (iv) is registered with the division of state police pursuant to subdivision sixteen-a of section 400.00 of this chapter, except such feeding devices transferred into the state may be registered at any time, provided they are registered within thirty days of their transfer into the state.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Certain high capacity magazines over 50 years old can be still be purchased and  registered as antique magazines.

Penal law 265

. A feeding device that is a curio or relic is defined as a device that (i) was manufactured at least fifty years prior to the current date, (ii) is only capable of being used exclusively in a firearm, rifle, or shotgun that was manufactured at least fifty years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof, (iii) is possessed by an individual who is not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm and (iv) is registered with the division of state police pursuant to subdivision sixteen-a of section 400.00 of this chapter, except such feeding devices transferred into the state may be registered at any time, provided they are registered within thirty days of their transfer into the state.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply. Interesting about the 50 year clause. Didn't know about that.

I wonder if this means that something like a Lanchester mag that was manufactured in the 40s could be OK, but I'd question whether the firearm part and replicas.

Would that mean that if a new gun could use the magazine, it would NOT be legal?

Honestly, glad I don't have to deal with it daily!

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#7]
M16 magazines from 1967 are C&R eligible!
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#8]
And if the buyer is a LEO, they can posses full cap mags in NY.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
M16 magazines from 1967 are C&R eligible!
View Quote

No  "is only capable of being used exclusively..."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top