Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2021 8:13:22 PM EDT
I'm looking for any information you're willing to share.

We usually go up to Quebec every Memorial Day weekend to camp and fish. We couldn't last year and we won't be able to this year.

We are heading up to Ogdensburg in mid May on the advice of a friend of a friend. We didn't get many details from him so we're open to a lot.

We would like to target walleye. We're open to targeting other fish but we know we'll be early for muskies. There aren't a lot of places to stay in the area but there are a couple motels on the river. We tent camp in Quebec, we're not interested in camping between RV's. Any leads on good launches, good places to eat etc. are welcome.

What's the deal with the border while fishing?  

A couple of us also fly fish, so we're thinking we may bounce over into the Adirondacks for a day.

We have our NY licenses and we have fished Thousand Islands later in the year.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#2]
While I don't do a lot of open water fishing I would recommend reading NYs new trout fishing laws. They just changed a bunch of regs and made some crazy new stream changes as well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#3]
We spend 3-4 weekends in the summer up at Fishers landing. I spend most of the time in Mullet creek or fishing from the docks. There are some big fish in that river. I wish I could be of more help, good luck
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I don't do a lot of open water fishing I would recommend reading NYs new trout fishing laws. They just changed a bunch of regs and made some crazy new stream changes as well.
View Quote

I have been up a couple times for steelhead so I read up on the rules for those rivers.

I used to fish the west branch but it's been a decade since I have gone into NY.
I will read up. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We spend 3-4 weekends in the summer up at Fishers landing. I spend most of the time in Mullet creek or fishing from the docks. There are some big fish in that river. I wish I could be of more help, good luck
View Quote

We always gas up at the 1000 Island Bait Shop before we cross into Canada, and usually on the way back as well We try to leave Canada on fumes.

A few years ago we had to cancel Quebec on short notice and ended up camping on one of the islands on the Canadian side for a shortened trip. We didn't catch much but we had a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
As you travel up Rte. 37 there are a few Mom & Pop places up thru Ogdensburg, and there are Launches along the way.
Clayton (5 miles W. of I-81) has places, Watertown is a couple hours from the 'berg but there's excellent fishing and lots of access... Chaumont Bay has killer fishing.
There's a super nice little Newspaper "Outdoor News" (New York) that has tons of information. outdoornews.com well worth the subscription.
As for Canada: Once in a while there's a little snit between Fishermen and Canadian Authorities for getting too close or over the line, but unless dick size starts mattering, it's usually a Licenses check and have a nice day.,,,Fishing that section of the River, unless you've got a 17' + Boat, you're not too likely to even get near their Waters....maybe by the time you come up, the Border will be re-opened.
I'm not much of a Fisherman, but I have lived here 33 years.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I actually hadn't heard anything about Chaumont bay. One of my buddies has fished Henderson a couple times, he hasn't caught much and he's been blown out a few times.
I will survey the guys about Chaumont.

Our boats are 17', wide and deep (PrinceCrafts). We fish some pretty big water in Quebec and it gets windy up north.

The fellow who recommended Ogdensburg has a smaller boat than ours and he said we wouldn't have any trouble.

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#8]
As long as you're good with big water you would be fine....the Laker's  churn a pretty good wake, and the current can be treacherous around the shoals.
Few miles West of Watertown is Dexter, from there you can launch into the Black River, fish the Dexter Marsh or travel right into Ontario.
http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html?title=CHAUMONT+HENDERSON+AND+BLACK+RIVER+BAYS+NEW+YORK+boating+app#11/43.9181/-76.4984

If you're fishing for Lake Trout, or Salmon there's a area called "the Cut" or maybe "the Trench"  its a long, narrow area of 100'+ deep water and that's where you'll see all the Charters and guys running Down Rigger's. look for the depths on the chart just a few miles off the coast line and you'll figure it pretty quick.

If you want a NICE Place to stay, Hilton Garden Inn is managed by one of the members here, and the same Man owns the Holiday Inn Express next door. Food at the Garden is excellent, and the prices are very good. Right off of I-81 at exit 45 (Arsenal St. is the main drag through town. Next exit is Coffeen St. (exit 46) and you turn Left there to go to Dexter (~6 miles) There's a Cracker Barrel at that exit and "Shorty's Diner" The Diner is very good and very reasonable; If you leave hungry its you own damn fault.

Clayton is a very nice town, and there are places for Fishermen to stay, couple big marina's it's a bit "Touristy" in the Summer Months, we used to have a Gun Show there, but between covid and Rotary International's anti-gun stance it was killed off. Farther West along the Shore is Cape Vincent: another small, but nice village with Marina's, Launches, and accommodations. Past that it's really just Summer cottages and Farms until you hit Dexter/Brownville.

Not a lot of crime or bullshit like punks f'ng with stuff on the Public Launches....shit happens everywhere, but for the most part there are Village Cops that know the area and people and won't put up with it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I talked with the guys - they still want to go up by Ogdensburg.

That Map is fantastic. I wish there was something similar for our local waters.

I have talked to the Lakeview motel in Massena and the Riverview. I think they're about our level of class. .

I wouldn't mind getting a cabin or air BNB but most of those seem to be west of Ogdensburg. The St Lawrence Experience looked interesting but it appears to be shut down.

I'm not optimistic that the border will open - if I was I would still be planning for Quebec. That's a pity for that part of the river - a lot more lodging options on the Canadian side.

I downloaded the Regulations - no kidding on complex. I thought that PA had confusing rules. It's good to know that the local police keep an eye on the launches - we always worry about our trucks.

Thanks Guys!

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#10]
One of my Best Friends lives in Massena (half hour farther NE)  I'll check with him for suggestions.

I had a Ram Truck in front of me yesterday with Ontario Plates....first one I've seen in a long time (other than Tractor-Trailer) so maybe they're letting up?

Around the Dams the Fishing is supposed to be good.

Lots of Summer Tournaments: https://www.fishmassenany.com/
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#11]
The guy who suggested it to us fishes around the dams.

I have heard that there are still a lot of Canadians in Florida for the winter. Maybe they are heading back.

I can say that I don't see nearly as many Canadian license plates on I 81 as usual.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I live about 5 minutes from Fishers Landing, Clayton, etc.  If you want Walleye, you can't beat the river, Chaumont bay, and the lake.  Check out the area of Carleton Island.  We've caught some monster walleye there.  I can't say for farther up towards Oburg although I know of a few charters that target musky specifically in that area.  

Not as big, but there are some good opportunities for walleye in the larger inland lakes, too.  Perch fishing is big on Chaumont bay, as well.  If you can get on a school, you will have a blast trying to keep your lines in the water.  We normally run 3 hooks per line, 2 or 3 poles per man and regularly pull up triples.

@fp1201 There is a local organization actively trying to get that gun show back up and running.  Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There is a local organization actively trying to get that gun show back up and running.  Fingers crossed.
View Quote

Are you guys talking about the one at the school? I used to plan our last trip to camp around that shows weekend so I could attend.
Edit. Any gun shops local beside the angry guy? TIA.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Are you guys talking about the one at the school? I used to plan our last trip to camp around that shows weekend so I could attend.
View Quote

Rotary used to host a gun show at the Cerow arena/park.  Next to the school.  

Angry guy is on his way out last I heard, he still has his open sign on most days but friends tell me he will only sell his existing stock and is then closing down.  Caliber Plus in Mannsville was good, although a hefty drive for me.  Bowmans in Gouverneur has gotten good reviews, although I haven't been there yet myself but he is pretty active on facebook.  VanTassel's outside of Evans Mills is popular, although Mary can be prickly sometimes.  Pete's Guns in Carthage was nice last time I was there, although that was a few years ago.  He is active on Facebook as well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Ogdensburg is a hot spot for Walleye as they stock them in the Oswegatchie River.  Opening weekend it's pretty busy but the fishing is good from what I have heard.  I've never fished there for Walleye just Bass as a kid (grew up there).  There is a guy on youtube that does ATV videos but years ago used to do hunting, fishing, trapping videos.  https://www.youtube.com/c/AULTimateOUTDOORS/search?query=walleye  Bunch of videos on walleye fishing Ogdensburg opening weekend.   I fish Chaumont Bay now because I live there.  We catch Walleye all summer so in May we target big pike.  They are a ton of fun in the shallows that time of year.  Chaumont will also be crazy busy opening weekend.  You'll see 100's of boats circling around trolling the first day.  I see your from PA, its the most common plate seen opening weekend.  

I also went to Quebec one year to the Gouin.   Long trip (11 hours) and got sick of catching 15" walleye.  Ate them every day for a week.  We don't catch as many in Chaumont but they are much bigger and you catch small mouth while you wait for another walleye.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
 Yea, that guy is a f'ng tool.
I still associate with VanTassel's Gunsmithing 30412 NYS Rte. 37 Evans Mills
Helped open and operate:  Caliber Plus Shop 13697 Co. Rte 90 Mannsville. (1 mile West of I-81 exit 39)
There's supposed to be at least one new Shop, around Ft. Drum but haven't made contact, a few Kitchen-Table FFL's in the Area.
Thousand Island Bait: Haven't been up there in a decade, so I've no idea what if anything they have.
Bowman's is said to be a great little Shop; 337 County Rte 11, Gouverneur, NY 13642
I do know there are little and even not so little Shops dotted along Rte 37 and Rte 11 that Google will find for you.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@fp1201 There is a local organization actively trying to get that gun show back up and running.  Fingers crossed.
View Quote

It's crazy that 3,000 people will attend the DU Gun Bash in one day, but half that over the weekend for a Show.  

If someone picks up the reins and runs with it, chances are Dealers will show up.  Clayton Rotary did a good job and were super accommodating, but it was on the "STP" (same ten people) and after a while you just get tired....can't fault them for that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ogdensburg is a hot spot for Walleye as they stock them in the Oswegatchie River.  Opening weekend it's pretty busy but the fishing is good from what I have heard.  I've never fished there for Walleye just Bass as a kid (grew up there).  There is a guy on youtube that does ATV videos but years ago used to do hunting, fishing, trapping videos.  https://www.youtube.com/c/AULTimateOUTDOORS/search?query=walleye  Bunch of videos on walleye fishing Ogdensburg opening weekend.   I fish Chaumont Bay now because I live there.  We catch Walleye all summer so in May we target big pike.  They are a ton of fun in the shallows that time of year.  Chaumont will also be crazy busy opening weekend.  You'll see 100's of boats circling around trolling the first day.  I see your from PA, its the most common plate seen opening weekend.  

I also went to Quebec one year to the Gouin.   Long trip (11 hours) and got sick of catching 15" walleye.  Ate them every day for a week.  We don't catch as many in Chaumont but they are much bigger and you catch small mouth while you wait for another walleye.
View Quote

You may just be the guy to talk me into Chaumont / the upper river. So walleye are still in the bay mid May? We are big fans of shallow water pike - When I was a kid we went pike fishing and considered any walleye a bonus.

I will watch those videos.

We'd be really happy to find an Air BNB where we could dock or pull up the boats. We'll be up the 22nd - 29th - a bit late for the opener but one son has AT earlier.

We used to go to the Gouin, until about the late 80's. We would either go through Mont Laurier and Parent or through the La Verendre Park and Clova. The roads were really bad - like 8 hours on dirt each way and we would break springs and shocks. The new road through Mont Laurier is supposed to be pretty good but we haven't been up that.

Now we go above the Park and take the logging roads back to various lakes to camp on Crown Land. The fishing is often very good - we prefer not to keep walleye under 3# and we often have 100 fish days. It's mostly good to just get completely away from people for the week.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Walleye are still in the bay all year long.  Most people go out deep on the open lake to troll.  Try casting weed beds on the shoal's in 12-18 feet.  You need some chop, they never seem to bite when it's calm.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#20]
"The Walleye Chop". I learned that reading Al Lindner's books as a kid.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:15:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I too am more familiar with the western end- cape Vincent and Clayton. Smallmouth are inconsistent, when they are hot they are hot, when they are not they are not.  But they are there. We were swimming featherbed shoal and monster smallmouth came right up to us to see what we were doing.  Lots of early morning bass fishermen around Alex Bay too.

I’d expect ogdesnburg to be productive for smallmouth, walleye, and pike, but can’t speak for it personally

Make sure you know where the water border is. Canadian fish cops and OPP are assholes for the sake of bureaucracy.  Stay in US waters. Sometimes the border gets a bit hazy, so if you see a Canadian police vessel approaching skeedaddle back to confirmed US water- don’t entertain talking to them even if you think you’re in US waters.   And Canada has an open container law, so don’t get caught in Canadian water with an open beer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I rented a cottage with a dock on the river in Hammond

Our usual go-to is jigging - I like home-tied bucktails, my buddy likes powerbait tubes. Either one of us will switch if something else is working better.

If we are searching for fish or it's slow we usually troll bottom bouncers with worm rigs or rapalas. We cast plugs when fish are shallow but we don't see that much.

Any other techniques up there on the river?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Any other techniques up there on the river?

View Quote

I am a big fan of casting blade baits.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#24]
That's interesting. About the only way I have had success with blade baits is jigging them.

When the fish aren't to deep I have done OK with crankbaits - wally divers and such.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#25]
We are heading out in a little more than a week!

Can you guys recommend any casual places to eat? We aren't fancy but we like good food and cold beer.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We are heading out in a little more than a week!

Can you guys recommend any casual places to eat? We aren't fancy but we like good food and cold beer.
View Quote

I'm headed up that way this weekend; I'll scout the area.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I've lived 20 years within 20 miles of Ogdensburg...

Little Italy pizza joint is decent.   Also a little place on Ford St called The Place.  Parm crusted chicked quesadilla there is a fave.

No experience with hotels.  Not sure what to tell you..

The bad:  Ogdensburg section of the river is good fishing.  Walleye and nice bass.  Smathmouth can run big.  But Oburg is a shit hole with a BIG meth problem.  Keep everything locked down tight!!!  Its not violent, but property crime is higg.  Meth heads will rifle thru your truck in broad daylight ..

If you want to mix it up, try Black Lake about 10 miles SW of the 'burg.   Bass n crappie.

The river:  not normally a big issue with the border but both US and CDN border patrol types are bored out of their gourds and Canada is locked down tight due to covid!  Do NOT cross opwn water into CDN waters.   Expect major hassles if you do.  

If you use your cellphone, change settings to limit roaming or you may get charged for making calls from CAN even though you are in US due to phone picking up a CDN tower

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I've lived 20 years within 20 miles of Ogdensburg...

Little Italy pizza joint is decent.   Also a little place on Ford St called The Place.  Parm crusted chicked quesadilla there is a fave.

No experience with hotels.  Not sure what to tell you..

The bad:  Ogdensburg section of the river is good fishing.  Walleye and nice bass.  Smathmouth can run big.  But Oburg is a shit hole with a BIG meth problem.  Keep everything locked down tight!!!  Its not violent, but property crime is higg.  Meth heads will rifle thru your truck in broad daylight ..

If you want to mix it up, try Black Lake about 10 miles SW of the 'burg.   Bass n crappie.

The river:  not normally a big issue with the border but both US and CDN border patrol types are bored out of their gourds and Canada is locked down tight due to covid!  Do NOT cross opwn water into CDN waters.   Expect major hassles if you do.  

If you use your cellphone, change settings to limit roaming or you may get charged for making calls from CAN even though you are in US due to phone picking up a CDN tower

I have a cheap andriod.phone.  google maps shows the.border and the mapping feature and current location will keep you on the US side.  The border often ISNT middle of the river!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:26:44 AM EDT
[#29]
If you’re in Clayton, stop at 1000 Islands River Rat cheese. Also have a pizza and beer at the Wood Boat Brewery. If you want to tent camp, I suggest Eel Weir on the Oswagatchie River, near Ogdensburg. Small campground, not crowded. All depends on what part of the St. Lawrence you end up fishing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Eating spots added to our list.

We have an Air BNB on the river, with a dock, in Hammond.

We're planning to go to Chaumont the first day, I see boat launches at the town and at three mile bay, is one better than the other?

Thanks for all the info!
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:58:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Stick with Chaumont.  Water is pretty low in Three Mile Bay
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Great, Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Clayton was breaking ground on a new river front hotel when I left.   There were a couple great pizza shops right on the main street there that parallels the river,  

I will second the recommendation to check out black lake.  Bass and crappie were the mainstays but you can pick  up nice walleye at night where the lake passes under the Edwardsville bridge.  There is some current at that choke as the Yellow River transits the lake to later merge with the Oswegatchie river that empties at Ogdensburg into the STL R.  There was another deep trough on black lake on the east side not far above the inlet of the yellow r.

The river above Alex bay is much easier for smaller boats and a lot less confusion in navigation if you don’t have a gps chart.  A lot less islands and jogs in the international border.

As far as Canadian waters,....no guns or even a flare pistol.  To them and their laws its a pistol lastI knew.   I haven’t worked those waters in 8 years or so now.

If you stay in Clayton, A bay or even Cape Vincent there is plenty of food and motels.

Black Lake is full of cabins if you want to go that route.  It is only about six miles iirc to the St. Lawrence launch at the state park in Morristown, Jacques Cartier.  About the same or less depending on your cabin choice to Chippewa Bay launch.

If you are pulling boats at the end of each day then it is an insignificant difference if you stay on the black lake and gain by being away from the Ogdensburg cess pool.

I have been out of the area but I still get the news from up there.

Muskies, fish at night tight to the shore south of Morristown.  
Fall walleye fishing in Cape can be outstanding if you want to make a second trip. Summer best bet is on the lake side of Carlton island.  You will see the Cape Vincent fleet at the buoys.

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Stick with Chaumont.  Water is pretty low in Three Mile Bay
View Quote

I have clunked a few rocks in a 14’ in 3MB.  

I strongly recommend an up to date gps chart plotter in the area.  Anything you hit is more than 86% chance of being solid rock and the other 13% is loose BF rock stone shoals.  Just being away from shore is not enough.  Use the channels, be careful taking short cuts.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Clayton was breaking ground on a new river front hotel when I left.   There were a couple great pizza shops right on the main street there that parallels the river,  

I will second the recommendation to check out black lake.  Bass and crappie were the mainstays but you can pick  up nice walleye at night where the lake passes under the Edwardsville bridge.  There is some current at that choke as the Yellow River transits the lake to later merge with the Oswegatchie river that empties at Ogdensburg into the STL R.  There was another deep trough on black lake on the east side not far above the inlet of the yellow r.

The river above Alex bay is much easier for smaller boats and a lot less confusion in navigation if you don’t have a gps chart.  A lot less islands and jogs in the international border.

As far as Canadian waters,....no guns or even a flare pistol.  To them and their laws its a pistol lastI knew.   I haven’t worked those waters in 8 years or so now.

If you stay in Clayton, A bay or even Cape Vincent there is plenty of food and motels.

Black Lake is full of cabins if you want to go that route.  It is only about six miles iirc to the St. Lawrence launch at the state park in Morristown, Jacques Cartier.  About the same or less depending on your cabin choice to Chippewa Bay launch.

If you are pulling boats at the end of each day then it is an insignificant difference if you stay on the black lake and gain by being away from the Ogdensburg cess pool.

Fall walleye fishing in Cape can be outstanding if you want to make a second trip. Summer best bet is on the lake side of Carlton island.  You will see the Cape Vincent fleet at the buoys.

View Quote

You will find no more sound advise than given by SoS!  
If you happen down to Clayton for a Motel, Don Lingenfelter owns https://ksmotelcottages.com/ and is super cool!  Not an afrcommer, but a damn fine shooter and MOPAR nut.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you happen down to Clayton for a Motel, Don Lingenfelter owns https://ksmotelcottages.com/ and is super cool!  Not an afrcommer, but a damn fine shooter and MOPAR nut.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I did know were to eat good and cheep at the time.   Even in your kitchen.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I live about 5 minutes from Fishers Landing, Clayton, etc.  If you want Walleye, you can't beat the river, Chaumont bay, and the lake.  Check out the area of Carleton Island.  We've caught some monster walleye there.  I can't say for farther up towards Oburg although I know of a few charters that target musky specifically in that area.  

Not as big, but there are some good opportunities for walleye in the larger inland lakes, too.  Perch fishing is big on Chaumont bay, as well.  If you can get on a school, you will have a blast trying to keep your lines in the water.  We normally run 3 hooks per line, 2 or 3 poles per man and regularly pull up triples.

View Quote

Where around Carlton?  I’ve trolled the cut between Carleton and Featherbed, and caught nothing.  Featherbed is loaded with smallmouth, but I’ve never seen walleye.

On the CV dock our kids were hand feeding gobies to a mink.  Never would have believed it if I didn’t see it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Where around Carlton?  I’ve trolled the cut between Carleton and Featherbed, and caught nothing.  Featherbed is loaded with smallmouth, but I’ve never seen walleye.

On the CV dock our kids were hand feeding gobies to a mink.  Never would have believed it if I didn’t see it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes you can catch them there in front of the dilapidated mansion but it was always better by the buoy by the main shipping channel.  .fish up by the light house too and around toward Wilson bay.   trolling.

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, we enjoyed dour trip

First day we went to Chaumont Bay. Both of the other boats had motor troubles, which kept us close to the launch. We caught some perch and incidental bass.

The next two days we were in the St. Lawrence above Chippewa Bay. A couple of us ran for motor parts and fixed two motors, one motor needed parts ordered so we gave up on it. That part of the river had plenty of likely looking structure but we only caught smallies. By the end of that day my companions boats were reduced to running on their kicker motors - one 25 (Mercury) had no spark and ignition components weren't in stock, the other 25 (Johnson) had torn up the linkages under the flywheel twice - root cause so far unknown.

The fourth day we went to Black Lake. It was rough and there were lots of boats. We had more smallies and lots of perch. My boat had a lot of follows from pike but only landed one little one.

The fifth day we went to Ogdensburg. Caught a few smallies, not much structure and we weren't impressed.

The next day we went to Cranberry Lake. Didn't find trout, had fun with pike and caught a few bass. We hoped to find feeder streams we could hike up and fish, we only found trickles.

The last day we were on Chippewa. We probably should have been there earlier - great structure and OK fishing. Pike and bass again.

I can see how night fishing could be good if we knew the water better. I had the Lakemaster chip for my Hummingbird Helix which was a huge help - my friends didn't have that.

All in all - we had fun, but it's not the remote experience we are used to. I will say - we had the worst motor problems I can recall - I'm glad that didn't happen out in the boonies.

Thanks Guys!
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Glad to hear you made it around!

Yea, I forgot to mention. Black Lake is like a paint roller pan oriented into the prevailing wind.  

Cranberry is surrounded by small ponds within a couple miles of the lake.  One boats across the lake and take trails or bush wack to them.  You can catch nice 12-15” trout in them.   In Cranberry itself you can catch some 21ish  trout up some of the flows.  They are not a dime a dozen but they are there.

Better luck on the boat situation.  My boat is certainly a question mark at the moment. Overheated on Indian lake last time I had it out.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I first lived up there I could go fill a bucket with perch and catch a few gobies.   In two or three years it was much harder with gobies robbing your bait.   I had to relearn  bottom fishing for perch.   A diver clued me in that the gobies took over the bottom and perch were a usually above them.  So a bottom weight with the bait suspended six feet up  iirc.  

Similar to using a heavier sinker in some places to rapidly drop your bait past the dinks and get below to the larger perch.

I am a slow learning person.

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well, we enjoyed dour trip

First day we went to Chaumont Bay. Both of the other boats had motor troubles, which kept us close to the launch. We caught some perch and incidental bass.

The next two days we were in the St. Lawrence above Chippewa Bay. A couple of us ran for motor parts and fixed two motors, one motor needed parts ordered so we gave up on it. That part of the river had plenty of likely looking structure but we only caught smallies. By the end of that day my companions boats were reduced to running on their kicker motors - one 25 (Mercury) had no spark and ignition components weren't in stock, the other 25 (Johnson) had torn up the linkages under the flywheel twice - root cause so far unknown.

The fourth day we went to Black Lake. It was rough and there were lots of boats. We had more smallies and lots of perch. My boat had a lot of follows from pike but only landed one little one.

The fifth day we went to Ogdensburg. Caught a few smallies, not much structure and we weren't impressed.

The next day we went to Cranberry Lake. Didn't find trout, had fun with pike and caught a few bass. We hoped to find feeder streams we could hike up and fish, we only found trickles.

The last day we were on Chippewa. We probably should have been there earlier - great structure and OK fishing. Pike and bass again.

I can see how night fishing could be good if we knew the water better. I had the Lakemaster chip for my Hummingbird Helix which was a huge help - my friends didn't have that.

All in all - we had fun, but it's not the remote experience we are used to. I will say - we had the worst motor problems I can recall - I'm glad that didn't happen out in the boonies.

Thanks Guys!
View Quote

Where did you end up staying?

Yea it is called cottage country.  The state public campgrounds along the river are tantamount to parking a camper in a farmer’s field or a grassy drive in.   Not my cup of tea.   Now if you got out of the boat on Cranberry Lake and walked south you would be in some wild roadless barren country.    I forget exactly but its like a 50 to 80 mile walk to the next road through that chunk.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#43]
We stayed at the Lodges at Oak Point.

https://www.thelodgesatoakpoint.com/

Nice cottage, Nice dock, nice launch, good people.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Nice central location choice.  I am familiar with Oak Point from years ago but not the lodges.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top