Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2021 1:19:04 AM EDT
Wanted to buy the Ruger  PCR 9 mm carbine for home defense.  ( I do not own a handgun) , but it is either not available or is beyond my wallet. I have a spare stripped lower than I want setup for that purpose using a magazine adapter,  I know I can get a completed 16" upper, but how do I deal with the legality of the  Safe Act?  How do I pin the magazine?  or do I go with the Thordsen  stock and remove all other evil features while keeping the removable magazine ?  Did anybody here went thru this ?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Pinning the magazine destroys all use as a self defense gun. No reloads...and any malfunction = screwed.

Go Thordsen stock...or better yet build an Other with a brace and a VFG.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The ruger is still the best option for your circumstances
Be patient and put money aside.
They shouldn’t be that costly
( I do know since it is the only clearly legal pcc easily available they sell for more in ny that other areas.)
Yes a featureless is the only way to go for an ar platform used for defense
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Not really any different for 9mm than 223.

Biggest issue is getting rid of the barrel threads or permanently covering them.

Thordsen or fixed stock plus your choice of many compliant grips is easy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Another option to the thordsen is the Spur grip and patrick henry trigger guard.  They're all kinda wonky, and make it less safe to handle, but that's the way the king wants us.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in NY and just picked up a fixed mag.  I'm not so bad with the reload using a speed loader but never thought of malfunctions.

I started a thread in trouble shooting because I'm getting double feed malfunctions and it is awful with the fixed magazine.

Look up double feed malfunctions AR and you'll find different fixed mags that you can drop the magazine if you open the rear pin.  I forget which company.. but the release has a little allen bolt in it that you can remove if you are in a legal state and use the rifle normal.

From what i've been reading its a bit of a grey area right now the SAFE act doesn't allow you to remove a mag while the rifle is in working order.  Opening the rear pin no longer allows you to "work" the rifle while changing magazines.... I'm sure this will be banned soon.  I want to remove the lock I have and put this on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top