Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2021 5:56:25 PM EDT
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/s14

Call the sponsors of this bill!!!

I just spoke with the legislative director for Senator Kaplan and explained that this bill would make it a felony to change a scope or barrel or stock, and only allows for cleaning or maintenance. Had a 15 min conversation and discussed this bill in detail.

He agreed and said they would be pulling their sponsorship from the bill because it would make too many law abiding people felons for simply altering their guns for different purposes.

Guys..call call call.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You were lied to.  The Senate passed the bills today.  No action on the Assembly companions yet.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You were lied to.  The Senate passed the bills today.  No action on the Assembly companions yet.
View Quote

Someone from the Legislature lying to a constituent?  Say it isn't so!  
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I mean they said they just wouldn't cosponsor the bill. I'm sure that asshole Kaplan still voted for it anyway.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#4]
You must record your conversations!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#5]
So I guess we are all going to be felons soon the first time any of us modify our guns in any way.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who do we call for the assembly bills? Can you send that link?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Just for a touch of levity... https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/2x4-ar-lower-made-from-wood.246641/

Guess we can't do residential construction anymore...
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Who do we call for the assembly bills? Can you send that link?
View Quote

A-2666 and A-613.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#9]
So far I've spoken to about 8 chief of staffs/legislative directors this morning. Expressing my concerns about how the law doesn't allow even legal modifications without committing a class c felony.

They were all (genuinely) quite surprised it would do such a thing...obviously nobody reads these bills...at least the underlings.

Now do I think they care enough to change it? No. But we can't give up. Gotta speak up and at least let them see that the bills the pass are criminalizing law abiding people. Even if they don't care about gun owners or conservatives.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Nobody read it because nobody in Albany wrote it.  It is a program bill being floated by the antis to legislative bodies around the country.  The NYC Council passed their version back in '19.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nobody read it because nobody in Albany wrote it.  It is a program bill being floated by the antis to legislative bodies around the country.  The NYC Council passed their version back in '19.
View Quote

Well what the hell does everyone have to do today anyway? Make the calls people..leave messages. They do listen to them. At least push back a little bit people.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

That sort of practice needs to be banned.
If a bill isn't researched and written by a sitting member and their immediate staff, it shouldn't even be entertained by the legislative body
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Spoke to the chief of staff of Linda Rosenthal's team.

she was also surprised that the bill would do such a thing and said that it was only aiming to stop people from making unserialized receivers.

I told her that maybe that was the intent, but the bill was worded very clearly to ban modifications or alterations of any kind... Which is a necessary practice for all gun owners and often has nothing to do with cleaning remaintenance.

She said that they would strongly look at the bill to see if it needed to be changed in order to allow one to fit together or assemble major components as needed for changes and modifications.

Do I believe them? No. But we can't keep letting them pass bills without so much as getting an angry call.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Linda Rosenthal is one of the dumbest people in Albany.  Her prime issues include granting all animals the same rights as people and to make killing them for food illegal.

The "ghost guns" bills were being promoted heavily by Everytown the last couple of years and they spoke with dozens of people in the LOB/CAP.  Nobody even pretended to oppose any of this which is why NRA didn't bother sending out any notice about them until after the Senate voted and what they said was flat out wrong.

I sent letters to the editor to Newsday & New York County Politics about their coverage and e-mails to the entire LCA explaining what each bill did.  Will they do anything?  Who knows ...
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't care.  I do what I want.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't care.  I do what I want.
View Quote

Until this law forces online retailers to stop selling parts to anyone in NY.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Until this law forces online retailers to stop selling parts to anyone in NY.
View Quote

Pennsylvania isn't far.  I can't keep up with all these laws I'm ignoring.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#18]
How soon before the overlords make this law
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top