BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2021 3:45:37 PM EDT
Is Yonkers considered "upstate"?
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#2]
While I was there, everything north of the then Tappan Zee Bridge was considered Upstate NY.

All Heil IL DUCE
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#3]
When I lived there, upstate was above Putnam county. That was until Putnam stuck the middle finger at FUAC and was the first county to ignore the Stupid act.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is Yonkers considered "upstate"?
View Quote

To people in NYC Yonkers is Upstate.  To people who live north of I84 it is downstate and one step away from the NYC cesspool.

But to be fair, it is in Westchester not the 5 boroughs and even used to host gun shows in the far distant past.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:36:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Upstate to me is anything north and west of Albany.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#7]
"Upstate" is a term that varies depending on your point-of-view. As a Long Islander, most people here would consider anything north of the city as being upstate. I remember a college student down here at LIU who said he was from "upstate". I asked where. He said Carmel That made me laugh as my late father was from Syracuse and I spent my summers as a child in Skaneateles. To me, that was UPSTATE.

These days I have two differing views on what constitutes Upstate New York. The first, which probably makes more sense, are those counties north of New York City that are not part of the New York City Statistical Area and are not subject to both MTA taxes (payroll, sales, mortgage) AND are not subject to automobile emissions inspections (just the routine safety check):

My alternate view is any area north of the line that forms the border of the Southern Tier extended across to the Massachusetts/Connecticut border.

I once had a colleague who lived in Malone and he considered anything north of Albany to be upstate He worked in White Plains and had one hell of a weekly commute. He moved to Malone because his wife worked for the state and he was about three years away from being fully vested in his pension. He lived in a nearby low-rent place Monday through Thursday and drove home Friday only to repeat the process early Monday morning.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I know what is considered "upstate NY" is murky, subjective and hotly debated.

But I cant think of a single metric by which Yonkers could possibly fit the bill.  It is quite literally indistinguishable from the Bronx until you look at the lettering on police cars and fire trucks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is quite literally indistinguishable from the Bronx until you look at the lettering on police cars and fire trucks.
View Quote
Pretty much the same on Long Island for the border communities from Floral Park on south. If not for the "NYC LAW SPEED LIMIT 25" (https://goo.gl/maps/N7d4J4feLssmroPq9) signs, it would be hard to tell where NYC starts and end. Even Great Neck, where the link I posted is from, it is hard to distinguish the border. The thing is the blight is moving outward. The open space is not moving inward. Long Island zoning is constantly "evolving" to allow more density and taller buildings. The City of Glen Cove is working hard to make itself look like Queens.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Upstate to me is anything north and west of Albany.
View Quote

Bingo!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know what is considered "upstate NY" is murky, subjective and hotly debated.

But I cant think of a single metric by which Yonkers could possibly fit the bill.  It is quite literally indistinguishable from the Bronx until you look at the lettering on police cars and fire trucks.
View Quote

Yep.  I've lived in TEN counties excluding when I lived in da Bronx and Manhattan

Queens, Nassau, Westchester, Orange, Greene, Sullivan, Genesee, Erie, Warren and Albany.

No one, and I mean no one in 35 years have I ever heard call Yonkers upstate.

I did hear one nice lady from Staten Island say she was going to visit family upstate in Rye and Tarrytown. I didn't hassle her.

For me, if I am in NYC or speaking to a NYacer, anything not touching NYC is upstate - so all of Putnam and Rockland and above.

If I am speaking to most others, north of I 90, or I 84 simply based on my (our) location.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I go by the flat line that is PA's northern border, extended to CT's northern border.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#13]
No.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I grew in Queens but have lived just outside of Syracuse for 25 years and most native residents call this region "Central NY." You be the judge.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Fuck no, 1000 islands is upstate.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Just as important: no one west of Rochester calls it Upstate. It's called Western New York.

Not important... Just thought I'd add it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top