Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2021 7:23:50 PM EDT
The mandatory firearms storage bill has been reintroduced for the current session in the Assembly as A-1180.  This is one of the program bills the antis have pushed for years.  No Senate companion yet.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sure the Supreme Court already decided that the government can't force people to store guns in locked or unusable conditions.

So we can go ahead and ignore this one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty sure the Supreme Court already decided that the government can't force people to store guns in locked or unusable conditions.
View Quote
True but with New York's history of ignoring Federal rulings it does not agree with, how are you going to fight it unless you have deep pocket and can find a law firm willing to do it? And I can guarantee that Attorney General Garland will not take any Federal enforcement action against a state creating firearms restrictions contrary to Federal rulings. In fact I cannot imagine any DOJ assistance with regards to firearms laws in the next four years if they are more severe than what the Federal government has on the books. Only those states that may pass those "Made in xxx State" intrastate commerce gun laws will be challenged.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
They also introduced the one that requires permit holders to have liability insurance.

NY A0581
Status
Spectrum: Partisan Bill (Democrat 2-0)
Action: 2021-01-06 - referred to codes
Pending: Assembly Codes Committee
Text: Latest bill text (Introduced) [HTML]

Summary
Requires the submission of proof of personal liability insurance prior to the issuance or renewal of a license to carry a firearm.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They also introduced the one that requires permit holders to have liability insurance.

NY A0581
Status

Summary
Requires the submission of proof of personal liability insurance prior to the issuance or renewal of a license to carry a firearm.
View Quote

But you can’t put insurance on a fundamental right ???????
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NY A0581
Status

Summary

So it's carry insurance? Did NY not sue the NRA for providing that?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So it's carry insurance? Did NY not sue the NRA for providing that?
View Quote

That was because the state requires an actual brick and mortor presence in the state in order to provide insurance here.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

NY A0581
Status

Summary
View Quote
This is one that definitely cannot be ignored since the state already licenses (grants permission) your right to own a handgun. If you simply ignore the new law, they yank your license and you are screwed.

Just remember, it is the weather that is causing people to flee New York. In some ways, maybe Cuomo is correct I have been seeing dark storm clouds forming for quite some time over this state and they same to be getting darker and heavier Too bad they are spreading to other parts for the country too that enjoyed sunshine for a long time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:33:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
True but with New York's history of ignoring Federal rulings it does not agree with, how are you going to fight it unless you have deep pocket and can find a law firm willing to do it? And I can guarantee that Attorney General Garland will not take any Federal enforcement action against a state creating firearms restrictions contrary to Federal rulings. In fact I cannot imagine any DOJ assistance with regards to firearms laws in the next four years if they are more severe than what the Federal government has on the books. Only those states that may pass those "Made in xxx State" intrastate commerce gun laws will be challenged.
View Quote
Well, if you really don't have the money, I'll volunteer to defend you with the understanding that my criminal law is so rusty, I could be sending the judge dimensions on playmate of the month.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I can only *click* so many times on NYS.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top