Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2020 4:42:17 PM EDT
Had a 12g over/under sent to a local FFL.
When it arrived, they ran a NICS check and after a few minutes it came back with a "Delay".
They told me to wait 30 days and comeback, if the status changed in the meantime they would call me.
Went back yesterday (30th day) and status was "Open", they said that was common. Waited until the 30th day expired at 4:33PM, since the NICS was run at that time originally.
It expired, they ran it again, status was "Researching" for about 20 minutes then went to "Delay".
They told me one client went 8 months before it randomly came up with a "Proceed".

Anybody else been on this merry-go-round?

Seems the one alternative to waiting is to send a Voluntary Appeal File to the FBI.
Could take several months, costs for fingerpronts and filing and like waiting-no guarantees.

What was das fuhrer 'nipples' cuomo thinking?

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You might, for fun, have one of those paid background checks run on yourself. Many years ago a neighbor was delayed in NICS and, even before the New York rule to not proceed after three days, that FFL would not proceed without a go from NICS. He ran a check on himself and found an ancient bench warrant on a failure to answer a summons.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 2:06:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never had a NICS check go 30 days.
They almost all clear within 24 hours.
Since election day almost all checks are coming back as delayed
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Are they using the on-line system or phoning it in?  The On-line system can be checked at users will for determinations....typically for me it's researching (awaiting determination from a NICS Examiner) for about a half hour before coming back "proceed" and I have a 03FFL AND a "UPIN"  
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Had a 12g over/under sent to a local FFL.
When it arrived, they ran a NICS check and after a few minutes it came back with a "Delay".
They told me to wait 30 days and comeback, if the status changed in the meantime they would call me.
Went back yesterday (30th day) and status was "Open", they said that was common. Waited until the 30th day expired at 4:33PM, since the NICS was run at that time originally.
It expired, they ran it again, status was "Researching" for about 20 minutes then went to "Delay".
They told me one client went 8 months before it randomly came up with a "Proceed".

Anybody else been on this merry-go-round?

Seems the one alternative to waiting is to send a Voluntary Appeal File to the FBI.
Could take several months, costs for fingerpronts and filing and like waiting-no guarantees.

What was das fuhrer 'nipples' cuomo thinking?

View Quote

Did you put down your Soc Sec #? I know a few people who got delayed multiple times when they refused to put down their soc... once they started doing that, no more delays...
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:46:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did you put down your Soc Sec #? I know a few people who got delayed multiple times when they refused to put down their soc... once they started doing that, no more delays...
View Quote

I think that there are a lot of variables beyond the social security number.
Common name, for instance, and when they started plugging the government id number into the check it seemed to cut back on the delays.
But yeah, every little bit of data that's requested such as the social security number that helps to differentiate you from someone else with that name will help. But the system still gets overwhelmed. Every background check I did after election day was a delay. Every single one. Yesterday started off that way again, and then suddenly after lunch every one was a proceed. ....
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've seen that too. Always put my SS# and I am done in a minute (plus I have a very uncommon name so hard to confuse with someone else). Person with me was too paranoid to put it on the 4473 and got delayed.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#7]
The only time I ever got delayed was when I did not include my SS#
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I play gunshop for a living.

My understanding of the law is that the shop could have legally released the gun to you on the 30th day (and only the 30th day if you had fallen from delay to open status).  Their policy will decide how they choose to handle it.

The 29th day is not legal and the 31st day also is not because the 4473 and NICS expire after 30 days.

It's not common but I see it happening more frequently.  I have had delays fall into open status and then get the needed federal approval prior to thirty days.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I play gunshop for a living.

My understanding of the law is that the shop could have legally released the gun to you on the 30th day (and only the 30th day if you had fallen from delay to open status).  Their policy will decide how they choose to handle it.

The 29th day is not legal and the 31st day also is not because the 4473 and NICS expire after 30 days.

It's not common but I see it happening more frequently.  I have had delays fall into open status and then get the needed federal approval prior to thirty days.
View Quote

We had the exact same thing today...fucked up is an understatement.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The only time I ever got delayed was when I did not include my SS#
View Quote

I've mentioned before: I have an 03 FFL in my name, a UPIN, always include my SSN#, a DoD issued CAC Card (Federal Employee), A Handgun License from NYS, a Concealed Weapons Licenses from FL and PA, A Student Pilots Licenses from the FAA, and a Class A CDL with multiple endorsements (not currently HAZMAT) and a dozen other certifications, and background Checks: I STILL get put on "Delay" every time I submit to a NICS Check! wtf!
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#11]
If I do not put my SS# I am guaranteed a delay.  Even putting my SS# I expect to get a delay eventually.

Sometimes I'll run three consecutive NICS checks and they will all come back delayed.  That indicates that the system isn't working properly and instead of shutting the whole thing down the examiners just move them to delay status and will typically revisit and approve them within the next three business days or so.

I presently have three individuals in 'open' status.  It's generally a pain in the ass for everyone.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked up to guns yesterday. I've always use my SSN and I've never be delayed. The #@%&*#! government assigned it to you so what's the harm in using it? YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

instead of my SS i put ARFCOM in that spot. Never get delayed
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Mystery solved. Thanks for all your help guys.

As it turns out I picked one of the dumbest, m0+#3rfu¢€ing shops in Westchester.
Or it is quite possible the lack of competition allows bottom-feeders who should be sorting glass to get an FFL so they can feed their own hobby without actually keeping up with the rules/laws/etc. and they're all this stupid in this county?

I called the day before the second 30 period was set to expire and the kid tells me it was a "proceed", it had turned "proceed" 6 days previous. I went nuts on him. "You co&#$ukers were supposed to call, told me you checked status every day, I'll own your license, etc. He said, "chill out just come in and pick up your gun, the NICS expires tomorrow, we choose at 6"
I told him I was in the city and would be there by 7.
When I got there the owner was waiting, paperwork ready holding a pen out to me while I laid into him. He started stuttering bullshit about how the new guy screwed up. I signed and said "no, you old guys screwed up by no training him properly".   Stupid bastard never even brought up the transfer fee.

If any of you know of a good FFL in Northern Westchester I'm shopping.
You can skip the one closest to Lake Gleneida, they're a buncha douchebags.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mystery solved. Thanks for all your help guys.

As it turns out I picked one of the dumbest, m0+#3rfu¢€ing shops in Westchester.
Or it is quite possible the lack of competition allows bottom-feeders who should be sorting glass to get an FFL so they can feed their own hobby without actually keeping up with the rules/laws/etc. and they're all this stupid in this county?

I called the day before the second 30 period was set to expire and the kid tells me it was a "proceed", it had turned "proceed" 6 days previous. I went nuts on him. "You co&#$ukers were supposed to call, told me you checked status every day, I'll own your license, etc. He said, "chill out just come in and pick up your gun, the NICS expires tomorrow, we choose at 6"
I told him I was in the city and would be there by 7.
When I got there the owner was waiting, paperwork ready holding a pen out to me while I laid into him. He started stuttering bullshit about how the new guy screwed up. I signed and said "no, you old guys screwed up by no training him properly".   Stupid bastard never even brought up the transfer fee.

If any of you know of a good FFL in Northern Westchester I'm shopping.
You can skip the one closest to Lake Gleneida, they're a buncha douchebags.
View Quote

Lake Glenida is in Carmel NY, which is Putnam county. Where is the FFL you're talking about?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lake Glenida is in Carmel NY, which is Putnam county. Where is the FFL you're talking about?
View Quote

They're in Putnam County, practically on the shore of Lake Gleneida.
I won't name names or dox them, as others may have had good experiences with them.
My experience was that of carelessness and ignorance.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They're in Putnam County, practically on the shore of Lake Gleneida.
I won't name names or dox them, as others may have had good experiences with them.
My experience was that of carelessness and ignorance.
View Quote

Lake Gleneida? Or Carmel Lake?

I know of the one on 52 by Carmel Lake Precision Armory. Had a hard time getting them to do a transfer for me because they didn't seem to want to do the work. Which required them to send their FFL to PSA. I think they had just updated their address and it wasn't the same as the one PSA had on file. This was a few years ago. Bought things in store, but transfer with them are no fun.

So I went to this guy who had an office on Rte 22 right as you get off 684. He was great, I'll see if he still in NY because last I remember he said he was moving to FL.

Ok so I checked and it was Putnam Shooters. He doesn't have a store, just an office. Not sure if he's still in NY, but his place still shows on google maps. Can give him a try next time.

And if you are looking up anything in Putnam DO NOT go to to NY Firearm Soloutions lol. He has great reviews only because of his classes but trying to get anything transferred through him was the worst.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Never had a delay or denial.  Guess I don't have any dirty data in the system.  I must be a special and unique snowflake.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Never had a delay or denial.  Guess I don't have any dirty data in the system.  I must be a special and unique snowflake.  
View Quote

OH you are defiantly a "special and unique snowflake"  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

OH you are defiantly a "special and unique snowflake"  
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top