Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2017 10:27:27 AM EDT
Any recommendations?

Definitely has to be near a pond or stream for fishing. Has to allow campfires and has to have bathroom facilities, since we have a newborn baby.

Looking anywhere north of Westchester...Sullivan, Ulster, Orange county etc.

Could be tent camping or cabin camping. Will definitely be carrying the Glock 19, and maybe the trusty .44 mag Ruger Super Blackhawk in the backpack. Because bears. And commies.

Thanks for any ideas!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any recommendations?

Definitely has to be near a pond or stream for fishing. Has to allow campfires and has to have bathroom facilities, since we have a newborn baby.

Looking anywhere north of Westchester...Sullivan, Ulster, Orange county etc.

Could be tent camping or cabin camping. Will definitely be carrying the Glock 19, and maybe the trusty .44 mag Ruger Super Blackhawk in the backpack. Because bears. And commies.

Thanks for any ideas!
View Quote

Well scratch any of the NY parks than.. i was going to suggest Fahnestock https://parks.ny.gov/parks/133/
but you cant carry..

Your better off going across to PA.. They are nicer and super clean... I gave up doing NYS camping and opted to PA...

http://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/FindAPark/TobyhannaStatePark/Pages/default.aspx

The good thing about PA they do reinvest into there parks systems Unlike NYS
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Meh...I am still pretty unconvinced that we aren't allowed to carry in NY state parks...My carry permit and NY PL400 says it is valid in ALL of NY state.

It does say it's NOT valid in NYC and in schools, but says nothing about NY state parks.

Why would they specifically say no carry in NYC or schools, but leave out NY state parks?

I think PL400 trumps any lower level NY state park regulation/law.

Anyway I will take a look at those suggestions! Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh and what campgrounds in PA do you recommend? Near water/with bathrooms etc?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh...I am still pretty unconvinced that we aren't allowed to carry in NY state parks...My carry permit and NY PL400 says it is valid in ALL of NY state.

It does say it's NOT valid in NYC and in schools, but says nothing about NY state parks.

Why would they specifically say no carry in NYC or schools, but leave out NY state parks?

I think PL400 trumps any lower level NY state park regulation/law.

Anyway I will take a look at those suggestions! Thanks!
View Quote
I worked for state parks rec and historic preservation back in the late 70s and 80s. back then the park rules required that off duty LEOs had to surrender their firearms upon entering the park. if you had a boat in a state marine park, you couldn't have a gun on a boat , and no guns in a camper.
It's eased up a little from the last copy of the park regs I picked up at one of the local parks, but you still can't have a firearm in a state park outside of being a LEO or hunting.
I'll see if I can find the section on-line to cut and paste

edit:

(p) Firearms and weapons.
(1)
Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (2) of this subdivision, no person, other than a member of a Federal, State or municipal law enforcement agency, shall introduce or possess, either upon the person or within a vehicle, or use any firearm or any instrument or weapon the propelling force of which is a spring, rubber or air or any ammunition or propellant therefor, or a bow and arrow, except for hunting where permitted by a rule or regulation of a regional park, recreation and historic preservation commission or pursuant to a permit issued according to the provisions of section 376.1(r)* of this Title.

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/attachments/FranklinDRooseveltNYStateOfficeofParksRulesandRegulations.pdf
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can believe it Harriman State Park is one of the top picks in the state. Unfortunately its the first state park on the feeding chain.  Went there a couple of years ago for a few hours and watched the migrants throwing fully loaded pampers everywhere. Assholes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I worked for state parks rec and historic preservation back in the late 70s and 80s. back then the park rules required that off duty LEOs had to surrender their firearms upon entering the park. if you had a boat in a state marine park, you couldn't have a gun on a boat , and no guns in a camper.
It's eased up a little from the last copy of the park regs I picked up at one of the local parks, but you still can't have a firearm in a state park outside of being a LEO or hunting.
I'll see if I can find the section on-line to cut and paste

edit:

(p) Firearms and weapons.
(1)
Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (2) of this subdivision, no person, other than a member of a Federal, State or municipal law enforcement agency, shall introduce or possess, either upon the person or within a vehicle, or use any firearm or any instrument or weapon the propelling force of which is a spring, rubber or air or any ammunition or propellant therefor, or a bow and arrow, except for hunting where permitted by a rule or regulation of a regional park, recreation and historic preservation commission or pursuant to a permit issued according to the provisions of section 376.1(r)* of this Title.

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/attachments/FranklinDRooseveltNYStateOfficeofParksRulesandRegulations.pdf
View Quote
Still not clear on which law takes precedent though.

PL400 says the permit is valid throughout ny state, and lists places that are off limits already.

The park regulations say you can't have a gun but that's not what pl400 says.

Total contradiction. I'd go with Pl400 though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Total contradiction. I'd go with Pl400 though.
View Quote
I wouldn't take that bet
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I wouldn't take that bet
View Quote
I would.

Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 right? Plus I've yet to see a metal detector at any state park campground.

And maybe I was just on my way to hunt red squirrel or porcupine. Many state parks that have camping allow hunting.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I would.

Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 right? Plus I've yet to see a metal detector at any state park campground.

And maybe I was just on my way to hunt red squirrel or porcupine. Many state parks that have camping allow hunting.
View Quote
We have several in my area. The state marine park has waterfowl hunting, the others have permits for big game, primarily bow, IIRC.
Not long gun, nor handgun.
You have to realize that the section I cited is a law, not a  suggestion.
You could be arrested.
If you want to be a test case, knock yourself out, but I sincerely believe that you'll lose.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#11]
PL400 is not a law? Which one is right? Both can't be right. Either my carry permit isn't valid everywhere, or it is. Why would PL400 say it's valid everywhere and list the couple places it isn't valid? And leave state parks out?

Plus pl400 is a preemptive law.

It's like a street having two speed limit signs. Would I get pulled over convicted for speeding for obeying the faster one?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Oh and what campgrounds in PA do you recommend? Near water/with bathrooms etc?
View Quote
Dave

any of the state parks in pa are good.. Super clean... and people are very nice..
If you do fish make sure you do have a fishing lic. they do check...

Water is nice usually they are the 1st to get taken but bathrooms will be noisy.. but super clean.. really anywhere site on the parks are really good.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#13]
The other place you can go is HI-point in nj.. You will not be able to carry but you will not need to either its off of exit 2 on i84. they have a lake there also...

that was the last time my wife and took a canoe out.. she a little too much to drink and flipped us in the water which was only about 4' deep but lost our beers and cells

after that we used kayaks.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/highpoint.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top