Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2017 8:45:07 AM EDT
Anyone get one in the last couple months? They can range from .50 to 3.00, 15.00 or more. Rumors are spreading that they are not real and can be used to drain your bank accounts which I doubt. Research says, ". A surcharge which is assessed on NY state gross receipts and NY state excise taxes". Basically means NY told Verizon that that the surcharge they were charging didn't apply to wireless service. My brother in law don't believe it because the check says that it can't be cashed at check cashing agency or money service business. Anyone else/ I'm a former Verizon customer BTW.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I got one... had Verizon from 04 to 09 or so.  It's only $5 and I haven't cashed it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#2]
My dad got three ranging from under 50 cents to over a dollar. not sure if he's done anything with them yet.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#3]
No check, but they did knock 27 bucks off a monthly bill because of it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#4]
But are they legit? There's arguments all over saying it's a scam
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine was for 6 dollars and some change... Just got it this week. Havent tried cashing it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But are they legit? There's arguments all over saying it's a scam
View Quote
Don't know. Stuck it in the bank anyway.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Cashed mine for $21 last week. Still have my kidneys, supermodel wife and bank account!
Good luck to the rest of you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#8]
shredded it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cashed mine for $21 last week. Still have my kidneys, supermodel wife and bank account!
Good luck to the rest of you.
View Quote
it's ALL TRUE!

Put my $4.16 in the credit union today.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Deposited into my account via the "take a picture of the check" option in my bank app. It cleared. No issues.

But let's say it was a scam, how does depositing a check allow someone to drain your account?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Deposited into my account via the "take a picture of the check" option in my bank app. It cleared. No issues.

But let's say it was a scam, how does depositing a check allow someone to drain your account?
View Quote
People are saying the check says VOID on them. I'm trying to explain that you can barely see them and that it's a security feature that prevents copying or altering it. If you make a copy of the check the VOIDs mark will appear. But no, a retired Nassau County detective says they're fakes and it's a scam. My cousin fell for it. My brother in law finds it suspicious because it says cannot be cashed by a check cashing services. They are also saying that Verizon has never heard of such checks. That's because this is only in NY not elsewhere those Verizon reps are.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]
They can range from .50 to 3.00, 15.00 or more
View Quote
Which also goes to show how low the surcharges were... Cos I'm assuming that's for more than just one cycle.

Back when I use to go to retail complaint sites I would see people complaining about the surcharge.  They apparently heard that if they claimed "hardship" they could opt out of the surcharge.    That option may have been true, but apparently they had to prove the hardship, and these people were complaining over surcharges of less than one dollar - sometimes even one penny.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Which also goes to show how low the surcharges were... Cos I'm assuming that's for more than just one cycle.

Back when I use to go to retail complaint sites I would see people complaining about the surcharge.  They apparently heard that if they claimed "hardship" they could opt out of the surcharge.    That option may have been true, but apparently they had to prove the hardship, and these people were complaining over surcharges of less than one dollar - sometimes even one penny.
View Quote
Doesn't matter if it's a penny... it's the principle of the matter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I cashed mine yesterday. Looks like all is good. The reason for the checks is because,
They are indeed refunds of a tax collected from 2008 to 2014 on mobile phone plans under the assumption that they were “local” plans, and that the state’s gross revenue tax applied. In 2015, the Department of Taxation and Finance decided that mobile phone bills aren’t “local” phone service, and issued a technical memo [PDF] explaining the change in taxes on mobile phone bills. “The State recently refunded some of the remitted funds to Verizon, and we have returned those refunds to current and former Verizon Wireless Customers,” a Verizon spokesman said. That’s why the checks are showing up now, even though the tax changed in 2015.
View Quote
Glad to see NYS cares about us
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter if it's a penny... it's the principle of the matter.
View Quote
Except "principle" didn't get the surcharge lifted. They were complaining because the carrier refused to accept their hardship claim.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top