Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2017 8:09:36 PM EDT
I got one . I was making a right turn on red which I am pretty sure was legal at the intersection. Any recourse other than a road trip to Long Island ? seems to be a money maker for you guys.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't live on the island, but I got one last year when I was visiting, I made a right on a light that turned red mid-turn.

I just paid the thing online, and got it over with.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I live in this aforementioned commie county.   Not only will you end up paying the fine, but you can add exorbitant bridge tolls to it as well.   Did you Google Earth the intersection to see if there is a "No Right on Red sign"?    Also, there is a bunch of BS about how long you were actually completely stopped before turning.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Right on red with a traffic camera you have to stop and wait. And wait. Maybe wait again. Then go.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live in this aforementioned commie county.   Not only will you end up paying the fine, but you can add exorbitant bridge tolls to it as well.   Did you Google Earth the intersection to see if there is a "No Right on Red sign"?    Also, there is a bunch of BS about how long you were actually completely stopped before turning.
View Quote
Yes this has been the big mystery. They say you need to stop but refuse to give an actual number of seconds. People who have called to complain are given different numbers. Some as long as 10 seconds. Problem is that once the ticket is authorized by a non LEO clerk working for the contractor running the RLC, your only option is to fight in court. If one clerk looks for five seconds and another looks for two seconds then that is the luck of the draw. For this reason, I never ever make a right on red at an RLC intersection. Yes it pisses people off behind me but guess what?  Never had an RLC ticket!  And when we had speed cameras, I drove like a little old lady past them. Again pissed people off but they were collecting $100+ tickets and I was not. 
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't live on the island, but I got one last year when I was visiting, I made a right on a light that turned red mid-turn.

I just paid the thing online, and got it over with.
View Quote
Yeah did the same thing. Fuck those camera tickets.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]
thank you for your generous contribution.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I was wondering if it was worth taking a shot with a lawyer, I would rather give a lawyer the money than the state . It is now $150 . I will verify there was no sign on google earth .
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:05:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Sometimes the sign hangs by the light so check there as well. In the video did you actually come to a stop? If you don't come to a complete stop it's not worth even thinking about fighting it.

Btw is it really that much now? I thought it used to be like 50 or 80 for a first offense.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nassau County red-lights are $150.00.
Suffolk is contemplating doing the same thing
View Quote
Yes they see Nassau raking in the money and want their piece of the action. At the moment, they are on hold. 

Now in Nassau the new fee went into affect January 2, 2017. A ticket was $50 plus a $45 administrative charge. They originally planned to add a $105 surcharge to those charges bringing the cost to $200. There was a public outcry so they "moderated" their position and reduced the surcharge to $55 bringing to total to $150. Mind you they still have their eye on that $105 so it isn't a matter of if but when it is raised. Of course the County could go like New York City and simply outlaw right-on-red but they would never do that because it would cause a drop in revenue. So I just implement a personal ban where cameras are located.   
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#11]
The 55.00 fee is the Nassau County driver responsibility fee while the 45.00 is the surcharge. Or the other way. What's ridiculous is that the state assesses a 300.00 driver responsibility assessment for anyone going over a certain amount of points in a short time. So Nassau took that idea and applied it to a no point violation just to pocket the money.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#12]
looks highly profitable
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Consider the extra 150 as a self-incurred lawyer fee since this tix if paid gives no points or reports to your home state. Didn't you get a speeding tix in FL recently?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I have to make rights on red multiple times a day, everday,  with the cameras in place. I come to a complete stop behind the line, look both ways, and go. I've had the cameras flash on me but never got a ticket, out of hundreds of potential right turns on red. The law says a complete stop, meaning you feel the weight of the car fall backwards. Anyone saying an amount of time you have to wait is just making it up. They have full video of every ticket they issue saved in their system. Did they send you a link to the video? If you did indeed come to a full stop, you should be able to FOIA the video (if they didn't provide it) and fight it easily.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Right on red with a traffic camera you have to stop and wait. And wait. Maybe wait again. Then go.
View Quote
Yep, they want a full and complete stop before you make the turn. The wife got nailed for that before we moved.

OP, what did the video clip show? Did you make a complete stop before turning?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:17:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I stop, wait 5 seconds & turn, I've been ok so far!
I see people roll through them & get flashed by the camera many many times a day, amazing.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I stop, wait 5 seconds & turn, I've been ok so far!
I see people roll through them & get flashed by the camera many many times a day, amazing.
View Quote
5 seconds is what I heard originally when they came out.  We got some talk about it at the FD because people kept rolling through right on reds in marked vehicles and the fines were starting to add up for us.

I avoid making the turn if possible, but people get really really angry.  I've seen people jump the line and go around people who won't turn, people lay on their horn for the entire duration of the light, fight scream curse, flip off, you name it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
5 seconds is what I heard originally when they came out.  We got some talk about it at the FD because people kept rolling through right on reds in marked vehicles and the fines were starting to add up for us.

I avoid making the turn if possible, but people get really really angry.  I've seen people jump the line and go around people who won't turn, people lay on their horn for the entire duration of the light, fight scream curse, flip off, you name it.
View Quote
Like on Glen Cove rd onto Jericho Tnpk next to Exxon?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
The only intersection where it is an issue for me, and thankfully only a few times a year, is Community Drive and NY-25A in Manhasset (almost had to yesterday at NY-25A and Port Washington Boulevard but the car in front of me would not turn on red either!).

I just do not trust the system. They absolutely refuse to commit to a hard wait time value leaving a variable you can drive a truck through. I am more than happy to give up a minute of time to save myself $150. Everything I can do to legally starve the County I do.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm very familiar with this one. Going eastbound, turning north onto Glen Cove road. For the left turn light, it's 5 seconds between it turning green and then yellow, without exaggeration. It's been that way ever since the cameras were installed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I am paying the ticket. Watched the video and it almost looks sped up. But it does look like I rolled it.  NY gets $150
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Consider the extra 150 as a self-incurred lawyer fee since this tix if paid gives no points or reports to your home state. Didn't you get a speeding tix in FL recently?
View Quote
That was not me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's an arrow on that turn.  Hillside and Glen Cove is where they get you.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#24]
NY got their tax money
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#25]
i got one too.  apparently i did not wait 5 seconds b4 making a right on red.

my daughter got one too this summer.

cost me 300 bucks in total.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#26]
If you want to run the red, come to Rochester. They scrapped the cameras because "too many poor people were getting tickets and couldn't pay the fine". I'm not even kidding, that was the reasoning.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
looks highly profitable
View Quote
I believe it.
Once, back in the early 80's, I saw a traffic light that appeared to be stuck.  It wasn't one of the motion/weight activated lights either.  For several minutes the light was steady red for cars wanting to make a Left turn.  Very close by was a Nassau County police car waiting for somebody to take the bait and make the turn.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I got one doing the same thing but I didn't make a complete stop.  With mine you can go and watch the video -- if yours show a complete stop such that the car is not moving, I would fight it.  Unless there is some rule that says you need to stop for some number of seconds, which sounds wrong to me.  I think you need to make a full stop and then you can go whenever it is safe.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I got one doing the same thing but I didn't make a complete stop.  With mine you can go and watch the video -- if yours show a complete stop such that the car is not moving, I would fight it.  Unless there is some rule that says you need to stop for some number of seconds, which sounds wrong to me.  I think you need to make a full stop and then you can go whenever it is safe.
View Quote
This is the problem. No competent authority will clearly state a wait time. People have been told they didn't wait 3, 5, 7 or some othe number of made up seconds. The problem is you can fight the ticket but they make the court process incredibly stressful and time consuming, and you could wind up with an even higher fine if they decide against you. 
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This is the problem. No competent authority will clearly state a wait time. People have been told they didn't wait 3, 5, 7 or some othe number of made up seconds. The problem is you can fight the ticket but they make the court process incredibly stressful and time consuming, and you could wind up with an even higher fine if they decide against you. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's been a while since driver ed, but as long as you make a complete stop, I think there is no amount of seconds you need to wait.  Maybe someone in authority said that, but I tend to doubt there is actually any law that says that.

For my ticket, I did not make complete stop so it was moot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top