Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2013 8:30:27 PM EDT
Since Tully's is a chain restaurant that is spread across upstate NY cities, I am assuming that many of you from the NY HTF have eaten there or at least heard of the place.  They have an item on their menu titled "Best on Earth" Chicken Tenders.  They are chicken tenderloins that are breaded/battered in a delicious flaky breading. Perhaps they are not the "world's best" but they are still damn good.  

With that said, I have been searching for a clone recipe for quite some time now.  Does anyone here have any idea how they make their breading/batter? Perhaps someone here or one of their family members have worked at one of these establishments at some point in their lives and knows their secret?  I am sure that it is well kept secret recipe that I will never find, but I figured I would ask here anyway.  Their bleu cheese dipping sauce is delicious and I will be needing that recipe also.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I host NFL parties every Sunday and think that these would be a great addition to the festivities. I would love to be able buy them already made from the restaurant, but that is not a viable option since the closest Tully's to me is about an hour away. Thanks!

Here is their website for those of you who are unfamiliar.

This is the only clone attempt I could find on google.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:29:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I worked my Google-fu and only found what you found (and a link back to this thread. )

Try that guy's recipe and alter if needed.  He's apparently an addict, so if he says it's "darn close", I assume it is.  You can probably get even closer if you mess with the ingredients.  Maybe try and take one of the waitresses out, and see if she knows.

...............and totally unrelated, but I saw your member title and it reminded me of this gif:

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Haha! Thanks for that. I appreciate the effort
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm interested in this as well.  Ate some there yesterday, and the rest of them today.  I always get way more than I want so I can have some the next day
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried the recipe in my first post for dinner tonight. Turned out pretty good, but not quite up to Tully's quality.  I would make them again though.  I'll post some pics when I am done eating.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's a close-up of tonight's attempt. (The recipe from my 1st post)

They turned out huge compared to the real thing.  Next time I may cut them in half and pound them out a little before breading.  They would probably cook a little quicker and lighter in color that way. (Closer to the real deal)

I think the trick to breading is to throw them back into the egg and flour a few times before frying.  That is where the delicious breading flakes come from. Rootie's blue cheese dressing (pictured below) is pretty close to what they use also.

One thing I did different than the recipe is used shortening for frying. I'm assuming that is closer to what they would use in a commercial deep fryer.

Here is a half-assed attempt at a dinner pic. It was on my reloading bench so don't mind the messy beat up table.

I'm going to mess around with the recipe a bit and see if I can fine tune it. I would appreciate any input if anybody has any ideas.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I might have to try that.  Looks pretty good except for the lack of their delicious honey mustard  I need a clone for that too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:27:40 AM EDT
[#7]
We just got done photographing the menu items for both Tullys and Coppertop, we spend a good 7 days taking photos and eating food from both restaurants.    I have eaten so many Asian, Buffalo and regular chicken tenders over the past 3 weeks

I know this doesn't help or answer your question though
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#8]
This is a damn gun forum I'm tired of seeing food and babies eating food and meetups for food

I'm logging off right now (and going to get some food)

I'm not familiar with the recipe but I use seasoned egg wash and seasoned flour and do 3 dip and coatings and sometimes add sesame seeds. Out of the fryer I drizzle with honey - you can pre soak chicken in buttermilk the day before or non dairy creamer (for kosher folk)
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Every time I go to Tully's I tell myself I am not going to get the Asian Tenders again.  And every time I go I end up getting them.  The one in Cicero just expanded and has a nice beer selection compared to Camillus.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My brother in law was a cook there.  I'll see if I can find anything out.
View Quote

Awesome! I knew this thread had some potential.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Remember if your frying pan holds 10 tenders you can only cook 7 at a time in NY. Seriously I had some of those last Fri. at the 7th North Tully's in Syracuse. $5 after 9 served over fries as an appetizer. Yum.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Remember if your frying pan holds 10 tenders you can only cook 7 at a time in NY. Seriously I had some of those last Fri. at the 7th North Tully's in Syracuse. $5 after 9 served over fries as an appetizer. Yum.
View Quote

I actually fry them in a dutch oven that passes the 1 feature test. Therefore it is a non-assault dutch oven. It is pretty old also, so it may fall under curio and relic classification.  At any rate I only fry 3 or 4 at a time just to be safe.  

Edit: And for those of you who are worried whether or not this thread is about guns, I did post a picture of a gun with my dinner pic

Edit 2: Sadly, said gun was lost in a tragic boating accident the following day
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top