Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I actually got one of those letters, which has now been rendered null and void for me as to my G19 since Cuomo signed the retiree exemption.

But I called them anyway to break chops. I said I have a G23 that I bought after I retired and it only came with 10 round mags. So how exactly can I prove that I disposed of something I never had in the first place.

I got transferred around to several different people, finally they just gave up and said include a letter that you never had a more than 10 round mag.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Not a NYC resident, but that letter makes me want to fucking puke.  It's no different than the government telling you "You can keep your bible, but you MUST dispose of the last 3 books of the new testament."
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
You guys in NYC really need to start singing this when you enter the licensing office.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
What I love about this is that 10+ mags were already illegal and pre-bans were NEVER legal.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What I love about this is that 10+ mags were already illegal and pre-bans were NEVER legal.

View Quote

Not true.  Rifle mags were limited to 5 but pistol mags limited to 15.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:38:36 AM EDT
[#6]
The NYC Administrative Code prohibits handgun mags over 17 rounds. Of course you can only possess a mag for a pistol that is on your permit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The NYC Administrative Code prohibits handgun mags over 17 rounds. Of course you can only possess a mag for a pistol that is on your permit.
View Quote

I guess I was mistaken.  However, I thought that the NYPD used Glock 19s instead of 17s because (and this may simply have been an urban legend) the law was 15 round mags and they didn't want to exempt even their own cops.

Whatever the law is or was, NYC (and by extension - at the fault of NYC) NYS sucks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:27:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

One of Cuomos unSAFE Act lies when he stated that he was allowing 7 round mags instead of the 5 round mag limit in NYC.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I guess I was mistaken.  However, I thought that the NYPD used Glock 19s instead of 17s because (and this may simply have been an urban legend) the law was 15 round mags and they didn't want to exempt even their own cops.

View Quote

PC Kelly fought a losing battle with the PBA when he wanted to restrict the NYPD to ten round mags.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:02:28 AM EDT
[#10]
NYC-NYS, the new East Germany.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Assuming you have a carry permit:

NYC administrative code says the magazine for pistol can not protrude beyond the grip of the gun.

So if you have a 10 round Glock magazine with 1 - 7 rounds in it, and it is in a Glock 26, you are breaking the law, simply by having the mag protrude from the grip.

So if you had a Glock 17 and a Glock 26, you were lawful in carrying the G17 with a preban 17 rd mag, but breaking the law sticking that same mag in your G26.

If memory serves me correct, in NYC the previous pre-unsafe limit was 17 rounds.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:39:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Hopefully the NYSRPA unSAFE Act preliminary injunction will be granted and NYC can shove this letter up their ass.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If he could he would go back to revolvers.

View Quote

Loaded with 158 gr LRN target rounds.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:53:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry guys.  My mistake on the handgun limit.  That's what happens when you have mostly wheel guns and the ONLY semi (1911).

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be curious to know what load popeye carries in the chief's special on his ankle?  I bet it's not LRN.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'd be curious to know what load popeye carries in the chief's special on his ankle?  I bet it's not LRN.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In his defense, Kelly might have wanted his cops to carry FMJ loads because he knew what poor marksmen they were (are).  Because a FMJ round has a much better chance at over penetrating than a JHP, he probably figured that the bullet would pass right through the innocent bystander they shot and hit the bad guy behind them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I feel like failing to renew permits can lead to a lot more guns that are "untraceable"
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or the old 200 gr. LRNs.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#20]
what puzzles me is how would NYC know you had pre-ban mags in the first place?  did you have to register them?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
what puzzles me is how would NYC know you had pre-ban mags in the first place?  did you have to register them?
View Quote

They don't know. They assume.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

so you are presumed guilty until you prove yourself innocent?  i'm not a lawyer, but that sounds bass ackwards- right?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:11:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
NYC-NYS, the new East Germany   Poland .
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:13:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I am fairly sure they require you to bring in your magazines during the "gun inspection" - when you first buy a handgun you have to bring it in for an inspection...and I bet they ask to see all your mags too.

Still not proof of anything.

NYC is overstepping, as usual, to try and scare people into submission.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

The IRS and other .gov regulatory agencies have been using that tactic very effectively for 75+ years.  

Just wait until 2014 when the unSAFE Act really kicks in. You're going to see numerous highly publicized AW, LCAFD, AFD and ammo related arrests and prosecutions designed to scare the crap out of otherwise lawful NYS gun owner's.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The IRS and other .gov regulatory agencies have been using that tactic very effectively for 75+ years.  

Just wait until 2014 when the unSAFE Act really kicks in. You're going to see numerous highly publicized AW, LCAFD, AFD and ammo related arrests and prosecutions designed to scare the crap out of otherwise lawful NYS gun owner's.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the sheep are going to jump up and down and say yay! , and reelect little Mario by a landslide.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

And the sheep are going to jump up and down and say yay! , and reelect little Mario by a landslide.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top