Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2013 10:16:36 AM EDT
Do any other states need AR's??  Looking to sell one to loosen up some cash for a project.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't expect to get former NYS "preban" prices.
Its just an old rifle elsewhere, price maybe bolstered a bit for the near future by the general shortage of ARs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Why sell something that for the foreseeable future you will not be able to replace?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why sell something that for the foreseeable future you will not be able to replace?

You can replace it. Sell the old pre ban and buy a stripped lower.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm really glad I never bought prebans
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Me too. I just never saw the point. But this is coming from a guy who has "redneck relatives" in MO who liked to supply him with many nice toy parts because they could

16 hour drives were never so much fun
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess the boat passed on recouping but in a way I'm glad it did.  Govt carbines are cool!
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I am very glad I bought my very very old A1 AR15 that is still worth what I paid for it, and then some.

People just need to buy smart. I'm sure my old revolvers are not going to lose value because Cuomo wants a new shiny white house for residence.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought pre-ban rifles were G2G in MA?  I know pre-ban mags are.  

Quoted:

Same here.  Even living in a free state for 2 years, having all the "evil" features, didn't make me want a pre-ban when I got back to NY.  Not for the price difference, anyway.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's going on in CT? Do they still care about pre bans or do they have a new law? That's where all the pre bans used to go because the prices were crazy

They've had a new ban put in place since Sandy Hook.  I'm not sure of the details on it, though, or if pre-bans are still good.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe MA is the only place left. CT is done, no more pre-bans for them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:23:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What's going on in CT? Do they still care about pre bans or do they have a new law? That's where all the pre bans used to go because the prices were crazy

no more pre-bans

no more post-bans

we can't even get striped receivers at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:31:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

no more pre-bans

no more post-bans

What about polka-dotted receivers?  Still good to go?

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:38:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no more pre-bans

no more post-bans

I think those are ok.

Can you guys still get receivers in NY?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:46:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no more pre-bans

no more post-bans

I think those are ok.

Yeah but only stripped.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah but only stripped.

Not according to NYSP when you ask them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah but only stripped.

Not according to NYSP when you ask them.

They also say you can't add features to your rifle. Someone should give them a copy of the law. It might benefit them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They also say you can't add features to your rifle. Someone should give them a copy of the law. It might benefit them.

I got this straight from their legal counsel. I think he has read the law. I'm still very frustrated that they will not issue anything to dealers in writing
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:43:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got this straight from their legal counsel. I think he has read the law. I'm still very frustrated that they will not issue anything to dealers in writing

Call them up and ask them to quote the part of the law that bans a stripped featureless lower receiver

Don't accept an answer without a reference.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:47:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Call them up and ask them to quote the part of the law that bans a stripped featureless lower receiver

They consider an AR to be an AR whether it has evil features or not.
I went around and around with this guy on the phone for quite a while a couple of months ago
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They consider an AR to be an AR whether it has evil features or not.
I went around and around with this guy on the phone for quite a while a couple of months ago

Understandable but AR-15's are not banned under the new law.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can replace it. Sell the old pre ban and buy a stripped lower.

Still too much dust in the air to tell which way the wind is blowing.  

Right now, a fully assembled AR is priceless within the confines of NY.  They only get more rare from here.   If you're playing by the book, then what you export today won't be what you get back in the future.  Now is not the time to sell.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:51:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I understand that the belief here is that the new law entirely wiped out the old state ban, but apparently NYSP isn't viewing it that way
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that the belief here is that the new law entirely wiped out the old state ban, but apparently NYSP isn't viewing it that way

They suck!
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can view it they way they want over at the 'help line', but really, if it doesn't have the 1 feature to make it a weapon of mass destruction, there is nothing they can do.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:59:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if the old law was still in effect on top of the new law you could have as many features on your rifle as you want and Ar-15's still are not banned. The old law and the new law are almost identical.

The old law banned rifles based on features and did not allow you to own an assault weapon.
The new law bans rifles based on features and ALLOWS you to own an assault weapon.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They can view it they way they want over at the 'help line', but really, if it doesn't have the 1 feature to make it a weapon of mass destruction, there is nothing they can do.

It wasn't some flunkie telling me this on the helpline.
Until they issue something in writing saying that stripped lowers are legal, I'm not transferring any more.
They probably do want this confusion so that new compliant ARs aren't made...but having their legal counsel tell me what his take on the issue is, I'm disinclined to be anyones test case.

Quoted:

The old law banned rifles based on features and did not allow you to own an assault weapon.
The new law bans rifles based on features and ALLOWS you to own an assault weapon.

The old law didn't just ban based on features. It also  banned a slew of makes and models by name and any copy thereof.
So my guess is they're cherry picking the bits and pieces of the old law and trying to dovetail what they want from old and new to come up with their interpretation.

I would greatly like to see our Legislature force the NYSP to issue directives to dealers in writing, since NYSP seems disinclined to do so on its own.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until they issue something in writing saying that stripped lowers are legal, I'm not transferring any more.
They probably do want this confusion so that new compliant ARs aren't made...but having their legal counsel tell me what his take on the issue is, I'm disinclined to be anyones test case.

Quoted:

The old law didn't just ban based on features. It also  banned a slew of makes and models by name and any copy thereof.
So my guess is they're cherry picking the bits and pieces of the old law and trying to dovetail what they want from old and new to come up with their interpretation.

I would greatly like to see our Legislature force the NYSP to issue directives to dealers in writing, since NYSP seems disinclined to do so on its own.

It does not matter what they write or tell you. You can either follow the law as written or follow it as they tell you. Ar-15's are not banned. Under the new law Stripper lowers cannot be banned. If you owned a rifle that became and assault rifle on 1-15-13 you can add as many features as you want.

Or hell don't follow it at all? Understandable from a business standpoint that you do though

Also I'd say about 1 out of 5 gunshops I called ARE transferring stripped lowers so for anyone who needs 1 just call around. (Upstate N.Y Long Island is probably a reach)
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I tried to clear out a preban.  Sat for a month or two and never went anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ill give you 100 bucks for it!
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No one much cares about Preban status anymore, first the Federal ban then the NY ban made an artificially inflated market for old guns-then NY Destroyed that market with the SAFE act. I don't know of many other states where preban means anything anymore.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=338302797

pre September '94 Saiga, hoop-de-do!  Its just an old gun now, with no dimples and a funky non spec length barrel.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:08:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Poop on pre-bans all you want, it allowed for purchasing of unmodified uppers which vastly opened up what was available to buy as an NY resident. As an enthusiast/competitor, the convenience of this more than made up for the increased cost of the lower.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:16:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Poop on pre-bans all you want, it allowed for purchasing of unmodified uppers which vastly opened up what was available to buy as an NY resident. As an enthusiast/competitor, the convenience of this more than made up for the increased cost of the lower.  

You did not need a pre ban lower receiver to purchase any type of upper receiver.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:20:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure it was,but just an opinion from a different kind of flunkie. ...and he wouldn't even issue his edict in writing?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

STING OPERATION!!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:32:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one much cares about Preban status anymore, first the Federal ban then the NY ban made an artificially inflated market for old guns-then NY Destroyed that market with the SAFE act. I don't know of many other states where preban means anything anymore.

pre September '94 Saiga, hoop-de-do!  Its just an old gun now, with no dimples and a funky non spec length barrel.

Gahhh Kill that thing with fire.  Gross
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Rifles? Yeah, I never bought any either.

Mags? Holy shit, did I buy those damn preban mags!

Threw a lot of good money at them too.

Who knew?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gahhh Kill that thing with fire.  Gross

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#39]
I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE THIS HAPPENED TO US!  NY GOT FUCKED SO HARD... I AM SO ANGRY
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

STING OPERATION!!!!

OK fine... keep the lower...

Unless of course I can tempt you with 105... lol
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I don't think anyone's pooping on pre-bans.  They had their purpose, no doubt, and were clearly popular among NY'ers.  It's just that for some, including myself, the price difference to a post-ban was not worth the gain.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#42]
There  are  many  items  that  don't  exist  post - ban .
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I thought matter could never be created nor destroyed? What no longer exists?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought matter could never be created nor destroyed? What no longer exists?

Although  there  are  copies , I  don't  believe  there  are   any post-ban  Hk91s  or  93s  . Or  Real  Galils ,Valmets . Give  me  a  bit , I  know  theres  a  lot  more .
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Of course.

I was talking about pre-ban AR receivers to post-ban AR receivers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You did not need a pre ban lower receiver to purchase any type of upper receiver.

This is true, but it wouldn't of went to well if you got caught with an upper with a flash hider and/or a bayonet lug on a post ban lower receiver.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:42:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

STING OPERATION!!!!

Sting the stingers!
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 5:23:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think anyone's pooping on pre-bans.  They had their purpose, no doubt, and were clearly popular among NY'ers.  It's just that for some, including myself, the price difference to a post-ban was not worth the gain.

thats how it was for me, the price wasn't worth what I would gain in possible features.  I'm not shitting on anyone for it, we all are free to like and buy what we want, can't fault anyone for that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#49]
If you took your time and looked you could find prebans for the same price or less than post bans  For me that was a lot of the fun.  Now you can take your time and find... nothing.  Maybe C&R semi autos.  Or muskets... this sucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top