Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2013 3:30:11 PM EDT
Bought two Chinese T-53s from AIM surp a few months ago. When they came in they were beat to hell and covered in cosmoline(sp?) Finally got around to fixing one up. It came out pretty good, so I figured I would share some badly taken cell phone pics with you guys!

Both guns looked the same, so I put the unfinished one with it so you can see the difference

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow the really looks great
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks great. What did you do to get the stock looking like new?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Beautiful-looking gun!

On a different note, what's the least painful way to remove cosmoline from a rifle. I have a Chinese SKS with about an inch of cosmo on every part.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:36:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I spent 8 years as a wood finisher before moving over to the CNC programming thing so I know my way around that kinda stuff. started out with LOTS of lacquer thinner, sanding,naptha, sanding, acetone, and MORE SANDING. the stock had 50+ years of gunk  soaked into the pours so sand, sand, wipe with thinner, sand sand, more thinner. lol I had to water steam half of the stock just to get all the dents and stuff out and then re-sand. dyed the wood, stained it, and sprayed the stock with a commercial product we use to spray conference tables. stuff is amazing. it turns almost into a plastic when its dry. very happy with how it came out!

as for the question about the Cosmoline.....kerosene is the best stuff. soak the whole gun (in parts of course) in a tray of kerosene for a few hours and the cosmoline will literally drip right off. (just keep flames away for a bit!! lol once thats done take the gun out and let it air dry for a few more hours. (kerosene drys like a film) once thats done I just take hopps 9 and clean the crap out of it. wipe it down with oil, put her back together and go shoot something!!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:21:46 AM EDT
[#5]
If you or your SO works at a hospital, get some of the new Chloroseptic wipes.
That stuff will just wipe away any and all cosmoline.
Be careful on the finish, it will smooth take off the black laquered paint on a Russian MN91 to bright metal. Ask me how I know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top