Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2013 4:14:40 PM EDT
This has probably been covered, but I'm unable to find it... I am new to the rifle scene, and I always wanted an AR 15. Since dictator como decreed all firearms and mags are evil, that was just the push I needed. Now I would like to find a reputable beginner course in NY. I've owned and practiced with handguns most of my life, now it's time to step it up. I'm LE if that helps... Thanks y'all!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#1]
LE?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This has probably been covered, but I'm unable to find it... I am new to the rifle scene, and I always wanted an AR 15. Since dictator como decreed all firearms and mags are evil, that was just the push I needed. Now I would like to find a reputable beginner course in NY. I've owned and practiced with handguns most of my life, now it's time to step it up. I'm LE if that helps... Thanks y'all!

I can also travel to surrounding states if that helps?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#3]
"On tha job" lol
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Wait, so you are saying you are a LEO and have no experience with an AR? Or are you looking for some additional training, like a carbine course?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#6]
So ever hear "stick man lives"? Lol yeah, things certainly changed. I def need a carbine course.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I went over to that part of forum, it said something about a pistol and carbine course, but I'm gonna need the beginner stuff too... I already picked up the rifle tho.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#8]
With the current climate in NY, you may have to take a week's vacation and travel somewhere to take a course.

If you're truly, truly new to rifles, look up an Appleseed somewhere. It's enjoyable, not pressure orientated, and an easy way to get familiar with your rifle.  The focus is more on marksmanship (their technique is a bit WW2, but it works) rather than tactical training. Appleseed here Law Enforcement can attend for free - just sign up and bring about 600 rounds for a weekend.

For the tactical stuff, probably check out the "training" tab up above. Like I said, accept that you'll have to travel and you'll make out fine.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#9]
"In LE" ??? Rent a cop? Or reserve Sherrif?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Try asking here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm full time LEO in a big city, there's so many of us, we don't all get training w/ AR. Actually if 10% got that training it would be a lot. And due to procedure, they won't even let me touch one at our range... Thus I need to seek training. Not sure who or even what type.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Personally, I think you get a lot of value with Smith&Wesson ARs. They also offer discounts to LEOs (gotta find an appropriate dealer).

I dont think there's a typical "noob" rifle.  It all comes down to your budget.  Some guys have had success with cheap rifles. And others still admit to having problems with expensive ones.   Many variables here though. I'd recommend sticking to mid-tier and above.  In the end, there's also joy in ownership, and you do get what you pay for.  And then add in all the fun aftermarket mods and customizations.  Lots of fun!  It really is Barbie for men. :)
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]
By the way, Stickman -

Ive been a long time lurker as well as a hobbiest photographer, and I think youre singlehandedly responsible for separating multitudes here from their hard earned dollars on all things AR related.  LOL.  Your photos rock, man!

Just me,
Drag.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Come on over to the NY hometown forum
Welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm full time LEO in a big city, there's so many of us, we don't all get training w/ AR. Actually if 10% got that training it would be a lot. And due to procedure, they won't even let me touch one at our range... Thus I need to seek training. Not sure who or even what type.

You need a job with DHS. They will be getting plenty of guns and ammo and lots of training to shoot all us dumb "citizens" who aren't special enough to wear a uniform.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need a job with DHS. They will be getting plenty of guns and ammo and lots of training to shoot all us dumb "citizens" who aren't special enough to wear a uniform.

Dude

To OP, welcome.  For private class time you will have to leave NY to find something due to the Safe Act
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Dude

To OP, welcome.  For private class time you will have to leave NY to find something due to the Safe Act

Maybe, maybe not. There will always be classes put on for law enforcement, even guys who want to go on their own dime.
To answer your question, you might want to consider a class like this one

http://www.verdadinvestigations.com/our-services/basic-ar-15-course/

I don't know where you are in NYS in relation to central NY, and I am sure that other LEOs can suggest trainers and ranges where you might get a helping hand in your area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top