Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2013 4:11:37 PM EDT
I know this guy from past interactions; he's a genuine Elmer Fudd and despises AR-15's.  Thinks no one should own them.

Well, today he thought he'd saunter in and gloat about AR-15's and other semi-autos being severely regulated.  With a smirk on his face he mentioned to the owner's son, "So, no more AR-15's, huh?"  The owner's son talked to him a bit about the ban and it's effect on sales and such.

Then he asked to purchase a Ruger 10/22 off the wall.

The owner's son stated he couldn't sell it to him.  "Why not?" he asked.  "Because it's on the State Police's banned list with all Ruger semi-auto rifles," was the answer.

The end result was the guy looking it up on his phone only to see, in fact, the Ruger 10/22 is on the list.  ETA: I see now the list is down, so who knows what's next.

While this idiot tried to collect his wits the dealer's son seized the opportunity to tell him that since he's a gun owner, he should stick with other gun owners and not be a divisive prick***. That just because he doesn't like a particular firearm doesn't mean anything; if he owns guns he should join with other gun owners and make a stand against this kind of bullshit legislation or the guns he happens to like will be next.

*** My words, the dealer's son was polite and cordial.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn i miss all the fun.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow. But I bet there have been a lot of conversions lately. Especially, if the Fudds catch wind of what the Dems wanted to do but couldn't - this time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you shitting me?

Where did I miss that the 10/22 is on the banned list?  
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you shitting me?

Where did I miss that the 10/22 is on the banned list?  

Ruger semi-auto rifles were on the list, and my dealer won't sell anything on the list before any clarifications are made.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Your dealer is making a mistake. Was he given an OFFICIAL form of banned Arms from NYS? No, because even the State Police don't have one yet!
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Dealers are more confused than most.  They are worried if they do something wrong or sell something they are not supposed to, they will have to face the consequences.  My local dealer called the State police and they said to conduct business as usual.  He does not have much left but what he has he is selling like its Jan 14.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually on nysafeact.com the Governors own site,  the Ruger 10/22 and mini 14 are pictured and named as not banned.  Sorry to ruin your fun!
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Actually on nysafeact.com the Governors own site,  the Ruger 10/22 and mini 14 are pictured and named as not banned.  Sorry to ruin your fun!

Ruger semi-autos were specifically listed on the NYS Police website.  The fact there is a disconnect between the governor and state police web sites indicates dealers should be cautious.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Ahem, OP:

This is the official thread for such posts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The 10/22 and Mini 14 may not have any ban features beyond a detachable box magazine, but the magazines they come with hold 10 rounds.  So depending on which timeline you're looking at (immediate vs April) for ban of +7 mags, you could conceivably buy a rifle but no mags to put in it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The 10/22 and Mini 14 may not have any ban features beyond a detachable box magazine, but the magazines they come with hold 10 rounds.  So depending on which timeline you're looking at (immediate vs April) for ban of +7 mags, you could conceivably buy a rifle but no mags to put in it.

The Mini 14 I bought a couple years ago had a 5rd magazine. I had trouble finding 10rd magazines for it, although pre-ban 30s were pretty plentiful. I never did pick any up though, I didn't quite like the rifle myself.

I don't think any 5rd magazines exist for the Ruger 10/22, let alone any .22LR semi. The common theme seems to be 10rds whether it's a rifle or handgun.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I was in a LGS that had a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 for sale this weekend.

I thought it was illegal, but they said rimfire exempted...

They had Ruger 10/22s on the wall for sale...

they also had about 20 AR style rifles boxed up and ready to go...  .... back to the manufacturer.... :(
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#13]
10 rd mags are transferrable till April 15.  Gander Mtn put pistols back out for ssle based on this.  So Mini 14 no evil features 10 rd mag GTG.  You csn keep 10 rd mags forever but not load them past 7 unless at a duly incorperated range.  It is all in the law.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I raff at the fudds misfortune
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There's no exemption for .22s in the law, except fixed tubular magazines.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#16]
You csn keep 10 rd mags forever but not load them past 7 unless at a duly incorperated range.  It is all in the law.

Where does it have an exemption for range use?  I can't see one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wait until the background checks on ammunition sales come into force, personally I think hunters are the ones most buggered by that law because they tend to buy ammunition in smaller quantities.  Target shooters will buy in bulk or out-of-State.  That provision of the law is clearly unworkable, there appears to be no way to charge a fee for the check.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:30:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:44:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Mini 14 I bought a couple years ago had a 5rd magazine. I had trouble finding 10rd magazines for it, although pre-ban 30s were pretty plentiful. I never did pick any up though, I didn't quite like the rifle myself.

I don't think any 5rd magazines exist for the Ruger 10/22, let alone any .22LR semi. The common theme seems to be 10rds whether it's a rifle or handgun.

Don't know about 5 round, but I have 7 round mags for my Marlin. 22

Came from the factory with them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect Ruger makes a 5rnd 10/22 mag. Midway is sold out right now and is expected them to be back in Feb. I signed up for alert when they come back .
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait until the background checks on ammunition sales come into force, personally I think hunters are the ones most buggered by that law because they tend to buy ammunition in smaller quantities.  Target shooters will buy in bulk or out-of-State.  That provision of the law is clearly unworkable, there appears to be no way to charge a fee for the check.

Yep, I knew several who's buy one box then worry they ddin't bring enough. I seemed to manage not to be using the same caliber or guage they did so they were SOL in borrowing from me. Don't hunt with this group anymore.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#22]
That's odd. I checked the banned list page every day for an update on my 10/22 and SKS...Neither were ever on there...10/22 should be good to go...If it's in stock configuration that is

EDIT : SKS with detachable mag was on some lists, not stock SKS like mine
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They had Ruger 10/22s on the wall for sale...

they also had about 20 AR style rifles boxed up and ready to go...  .... back to the manufacturer.... :(

They'd make mor emoney selling them on GB and GA. OR part the dam things out. Bolt carriers are running $300+ Complete uppers who knows.
If you have time pm me as i am interested in buying and know a few LGS their inventory. For their vendor prices of course.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Yep, I knew several who's buy one box then worry they ddin't bring enough. I seemed to manage not to be using the same caliber or guage they did so they were SOL in borrowing from me. Don't hunt with this group anymore.

Right, so the next election for Governor is in November 2014, which is right around deer hunting season, so people will be heading out to buy ammunition directly prior to the election and will realize at that point that they can't buy any without major hassle, assuming the law is still around then.

This guy Cuomo isn't too smart is he?  Reminding me of Piers Morgan - bitten off more than he can chew.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:49:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Right, so the next election for Governor is in November 2014, which is right around deer hunting season, so people will be heading out to buy ammunition directly prior to the election and will realize at that point that they can't buy any without major hassle, assuming the law is still around then.

This guy Cuomo isn't too smart is he?  Reminding me of Piers Morgan - bitten off more than he can chew.

NY is so fuc%ing blue it isn't funny... this Cuomo fuc% destroyed his opposition in the last election.  If he doesn't get re-elected in the next election it will be amazing in every way....
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I heard on the radio the other day that Cummo already has like 22 million dollars in his reelection campaign fund 2 years before his reelection bid.  I wonder how much of that came from Bloombutt?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top