Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2013 4:58:52 AM EDT
I know this has been thrown about forever, but given there is a history of proposals for separating New York into two or more states, wouldn't it be nice if this was tried again?

If it works, then the more conservative upstate New York would no be dominated by NYC.

And even if it didn't work now, imagine the effects it would have on Prince Andrew's 2016 presidential run. He'd be known as the man who is dividing NYS.

I'm putting this on my wishlist.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:03:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Been pushing for this since I joined ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:03:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know this has been thrown about forever, but given there is a history of proposals for separating New York into two or more states, wouldn't it be nice if this was tried again?

If it works, then the more conservative upstate New York would no be dominated by NYC.

And even if it didn't work now, imagine the effects it would have on Prince Andrew's 2016 presidential run. He'd be known as the man who is dividing NYS.

I would support it, but we would get hit with even more taxes most likely trying to keep the already mangled road systems going.

However, I wouldn't mind living in the New New York and letting that corner of the state just fester by itself down there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:03:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The Kalifornians would like to do the same thing.  Nevada too, to a lesser degree.  The cities have been beating the rest of the state into submission.  It happens in Washington (Seattle, Tacoma), Oregon (Portland), and others.  Pretty sad.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:05:06 AM EDT
[#4]
3-state solution FTW!

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:06:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the last time it happened was when West Virginia broke off from Virginia?  Look at what it took to do that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:06:52 AM EDT
[#6]

I'm not giving up the ADKs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:08:26 AM EDT
[#7]
So what are you going to do with Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany and Binghamton?

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:08:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would support it, but we would get hit with even more taxes most likely trying to keep the already mangled road systems going.

However, I wouldn't mind living in the New New York and letting that corner of the state just fester by itself down there.

Had this discussion yesterday, yes the taxes could be an issue but then again the greatest majority of the current punitive system is due to unfunded mandates promulgated by NYC. Those could go bye-bye, also the medicaid costs would be decreased on the counties because we would not have to subscribe to all 23 options but only 8 or 9 like Texas does. We could charge for our water and set up a deal to house their animals upstate or they could just take them back. The upstate cities would come around as libs would either leave or be drowned out like we are now, Amo Houghton offered this up and had a well thought out plan, maybe time to dust it off.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really the Niagara power project makes hundreds of millions of dollars a year, that NYC steals out of our pockets not to mention fresh water.
That can't be denied and could be a serious source of revenue for upper NY.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:12:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had this discussion yesterday, yes the taxes could be an issue but then again the greatest majority of the current punitive system is due to unfunded mandates promulgated by NYC. Those could go bye-bye, also the medicaid costs would be decreased on the counties because we would not have to subscribe to all 23 options but only 8 or 9 like Texas does. We could charge for our water and set up a deal to house their animals upstate or they could just take them back. The upstate cities would come around as libs would either leave or be drowned out like we are now, Amo Houghton offered this up and had a well thought out plan, maybe time to dust it off.

Good Points

I have little to no clue about where money comes from and goes in state government, just that they take it from me and put it somewhere else.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:14:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So what are you going to do with Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany and Binghamton?  

Yeah don't forget about us, I think the majority of people I know are conservative...I think most of the area surrounding buffalo is, except for the actual city itself.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:14:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:16:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Who is gonna pay for all the Upstate welfare then?

Who mandates that we pay for it now?

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:17:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They can either get jobs or move back to NYC that's where most of that garbage came from.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:17:41 AM EDT
[#15]
No!!  What about us behind enemy lines!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:18:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And, oh boy, would that really fuck up the electoral process for Democrats....
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:21:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And, oh boy, would that really fuck up the electoral process for Democrats....

And if Prince Andrew's actions was the cause?

Even the threat of statehood could have repercussions in 2016.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#18]
We need a friendly Senator to drop this in the Senate and likewise somebody in the Assembly. Major news contacts must be made beforehand. Even if it were considered just for show, it would get immediate press and great coverage for the individual representatives and the cause.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:35:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Greg Ball would be the logical choice in the Senate.  He is the star of Fox News!
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:35:50 AM EDT
[#20]
A great man. Joe Robach
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:38:10 AM EDT
[#21]
We would swap for all the decent people from downstate, for each one of you we will send down 10 shitbags.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:39:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The state constitution... No kidding, it says the state is obligated to care for the poor. It's one of the reasons the public benefits budget grows and is so hard to reign in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#23]
It does not mean that our state gov't has to encourage people to enter and remain in the system though..........
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:36:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The new state constitution will not allow it.

Lots of farm work up here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Everybody needs to start continue calling your representatives in the assembly and senate about your displeasure of the new gun control and while on the phone voice your wish to apply for statehood to the USA apart from NYC. Then as stated above we need to draft a senator to introduce a proper bill (well written and without all the stupid mistakes of the current gun ban) to the senate floor. Even if it does not fly it will get the attention of the entire country. There are enough of us out here that we should be able to give the media no choice but cover it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The state constitution... No kidding, it says the state is obligated to care for the poor. It's one of the reasons the public benefits budget grows and is so hard to reign in.

Right, and any new states that were formed would not be bound by that.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:02:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A great man. Joe Robach

he is my senator, very good on guns even by free state standards
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#28]
I would pay to make this happen
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#29]
you guys really need to stop this mental masturbation....

what's done is done.  i hate to say it but, either adapt or make plans to eject from this commie shit hole.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

what's done is done.  i hate to say it but, either adapt or make plans to eject from this commie shit hole.

Don't piss in our Wheaties. I can masturbate all I want and still do productive things.

Right now I'm rubbing one out while I read the news from the Texas AG.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:34:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#33]
We would not actualy need to achieve statehood to achieve our goal. Public opinion is the strongest court in the world.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:45:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://netanimations.net/Rain-on-my-Parade-animation.gif

sorry man.  i'm old and cranky.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We would not actualy need to achieve statehood to achieve our goal. Public opinion is the strongest court in the world.

Bingo.

Elections have consequences to the voters.

Passing half assed laws that trample the voter's rights should have consequences to the politicians, especially those who are looking to new offices in Washington.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#36]
any idea whos coming up on mid term next year if any/
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://netanimations.net/Rain-on-my-Parade-animation.gif

sorry man.  i'm old and cranky.  

It's ok. This has been a very bad week for all of us. I assure you I'm just as grumpy and pissed off about this as everyone else.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#38]
When Texas joined the Union in 1845 it retained, under the act of annexation, the right to further subdivide into 5 separate states. maybe we could donate one of those five to you guys!
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm in and all for it
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#40]
I've been calling for separation from NYC for awhile now.  North Pennsylvania, FTW!

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've been calling for separation from NYC for awhile now.  North Pennsylvania, FTW!

Western New York sounds better.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd rather not have "New York" in the name.  It's like being raped, and having to take on your raper's last name.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd rather not have "New York" in the name.  It's like being raped, and having to take on your raper's last name.

True.........then how about Texas Northern Frontier
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Southern Canada?

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new state constitution will not allow it.

Lots of farm work up here.

unfortunately mom and pop family farms are closing down and buildings put up on fertile land.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Southern Canada?

NO FUCKING WAY!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#48]
How about "New Scotland"...

see what I did there?

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm not giving up the ADKs.

Me neither!  We keep the daks or no deal. I want Lewis and Jefferson Counties too. Family up there and ATV friendly roads.
As far as Syracuse, and Rochester a large fire or a Bulldozer could fix both of those festering masses. :)
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Southern Canada?

NO FUCKING WAY!!!!!

You no like bagged milk, eh?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top