Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2012 11:04:04 AM EDT
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st-9-side-loading-havoc-launcher-p-397.html

Is this legal in NY to attach to an AR?

I don't find anything in the laws that say it isn't (after all, it's clearly less dangerous than a bayonet lug)....

I emailed Spike's and they said it's legal... but i hate to take legal advice from people who have a vested interest in it being legal or no sale...

And before someone asks why i want/need it....

Yes, i know it is shameful to buy a attachment simply because it reminds you of your old M203, but i like the way it looks...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#1]
perfectly legal. you run into federal issues if you buy anything that isn't a flare or smoke grenade though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I probably won't even buy those, but i guess it's silly to own a gun and have nothing to shoot with it...  
Thanks...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I probably won't even buy those, but i guess it's silly to own a gun and have nothing to shoot with it...  
Thanks...

flares and smokes are pretty cool from what i've seen on video. different colors and shit. I'd buy one if i had the cash just cuz they look cool. you just can't buy beehive rounds or anything like that, cuz it makes it a DD.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
perfectly legal. you run into federal issues if you buy anything that isn't a flare or smoke grenade though.

Non-USCG approved signaling devices might be classified as fireworks and MAY be illegal on their own.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#5]
chalk rounds are illegal

do not use them

I wouldn't know what they do

because  I said so.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#6]
They even make 37mm chalk?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

yes.  ammunition to go used to sell them till the ATF said that when they are used in a 37mm it reclassifies the flare launcher to an unregistered AOW and they stopped selling them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes.  ammunition to go used to sell them till the ATF said that when they are used in a 37mm it reclassifies the flare launcher to an unregistered AOW and they stopped selling them.

They actually agreed to stop selling something.  I'm surprised I haven't seen depleted uranium on that site yet.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Everything is illegal in NY.  That's why I left for the Gunshine State.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They actually agreed to stop selling something.  I'm surprised I haven't seen depleted uranium on that site yet.

I wouldn't say agreed.  More like something could go bad might cut this horse off before we enter into the bullshit race.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st-9-side-loading-havoc-launcher-p-397.html

Is this legal in NY to attach to an AR?

I don't find anything in the laws that say it isn't (after all, it's clearly less dangerous than a bayonet lug)....

I emailed Spike's and they said it's legal... but i hate to take legal advice from people who have a vested interest in it being legal or no sale...

And before someone asks why i want/need it....

Yes, i know it is shameful to buy a attachment simply because it reminds you of your old M203, but i like the way it looks...

FWIW: Having met in person several of Spike's staff on multiple occasions, I'm comfortable with their knowledge.
If you're making a product to sell you'd damn well better know what a go and what's a no-go; they do.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I may be divorced when the wife sees this...  :)

Now i have to figure out how to mount it on my rifle, or buy an upper that will mount it...  I have an extra lower ready to build.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been thinking of purchasing one of these for a very long time. I have been aware it's legal but have been scared to run into a state trooper or dec guy with it though. Anyone have experience running into a state trooper with one of these or even a pre ban lower? Do they know anything about gun laws or do they arrest first and sort things out later?

Btw - fuck NY
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been thinking of purchasing one of these for a very long time. I have been aware it's legal but have been scared to run into a state trooper or dec guy with it though. Anyone have experience running into a state trooper with one of these or even a pre ban lower? Do they know anything about gun laws or do they arrest first and sort things out later?

Btw - fuck NY

Could be any one of those or an ARFCom member, no way to tell on whole.  As a gun owner you're a target, the best anyone can say is that the law regarding the device is on your side.  My opinion on the ammunition is something different but rather minor...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I may be divorced when the wife sees this...  :)

Now i have to figure out how to mount it on my rifle, or buy an upper that will mount it...  I have an extra lower ready to build.

And we need to find you a place to test it out

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top