Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 7:24:37 PM EDT
I am new to the AR scene and new to this site (great deal of info btw).  Gotta buy on 30 rd pre ban dated mags...bought em already from fellow member.  No problem with them, they are all dated, so deal is done.  But what about pre ban undated mags?  How do i prove they are pre ban to the federales and NY big brother?  I can't see that a recipt from some guy named Jack is gonna carry any weight with the local constabulary.  So now I want some more mags, but this seller has  undated pre ban.  My ar is new NY compiant, so I can't possibly say they came with the gun.  Do I need to buy a preban lower or something to prove they may have come with that gun.  I want to use the mags not hide them in the closet.  and I don't need the risk of a felony cuz then I loose my liscense to practice my profession too.  Then I'll lose my wife, kids, house, and have to live in a van down by the river...with out my AR
Rick
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't waste your money on a pre-ban lower.  It won't prove anything with regard to magazines anyhow.  I am too tired to fill you in on all the details, someone will be along shortly.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#2]
its on the state to prove that your mags are not legal. furthermore i always say if you're in a situation where your mags are being checked, you're already fucked and they're just looking to add years to the sentence.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am new to the AR scene and new to this site (great deal of info btw).  Gotta buy on 30 rd pre ban dated mags...bought em already from fellow member.  No problem with them, they are all dated, so deal is done.  But what about pre ban undated mags? Good to go How do i prove they are pre ban to the federales The Feds don't care, it's not there law anymore and NY big brother?  The burden of proof is on the state, not you I can't see that a recipt from some guy named Jack is gonna carry any weight with the local constabulary. It wont So now I want some more mags, but this seller has  undated pre ban.  My ar is new NY compiant, so I can't possibly say they came with the gun. There is no need to Do I need to buy a preban lower or something to prove they may have come with that gun. No I want to use the mags not hide them in the closet.  and I don't need the risk of a felony cuz then I loose my liscense to practice my profession too.  Then I'll lose my wife, kids, house, and have to live in a van down by the river...with out my AR
Rick

Simply put, stay with the big mag manufacturers that were around prior to the ban and you wont have a problem. All mag companies that kept making mags after the ban was enacted changed things and stamped the outside of the body with the date. Some companies even went out of business prior to the ban. Mags from the following companies are guaranteed preban; Adventureline, Parsons, Cooper
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#4]
There are plenty of externally dated pre-ban magazines from companies like OK. They come around every now and then so if you have any qualms, just wait for those and then you'll never lose sleep over it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#5]
You guys put way too much faith in "dated" preban mags being legit.  As always YMMV.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You guys put way too much faith in "dated" preban mags being legit.  As always YMMV.  

What do you mean?  If you have a dated magazine, it might be counterfit?

If they are, can you get in trouble?  If you have a fake $100 bill, they only confiscate it unless they think you had something to do with mmaking or laundering it... why any different with any other thing that should be legit but isn't?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If they are, can you get in trouble?  If you have a fake $100 bill, they only confiscate it unless they think you had something to do with mmaking or laundering it... why any different with any other thing that should be legit but isn't?

Dated preban mags have always commanded a premium price so it was  not unheard of for unscrupulous individuals and dealers to stamp dates on mags. The issue might even be worse now that the Federal AWB is expired and unmarked postban mags are freely available from vendors except in states like NY that has a LCAFD ban in effect.  Someone else also stated that if a PO is looking for dates on your mags you're probably already in deep shit and they're looking for tack on charges.    

Like I said YMMV but I don't see the point in paying a premium for dated mags when preban mags are easily identifiable.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
its on the state to prove that your mags are not legal. furthermore i always say if you're in a situation where your mags are being checked, you're already fucked and they're just looking to add years to the sentence.

In New York, and likely many other places, the assurance that only voluntary and overt criminal conduct will get your guns a good once over by the police is a false hope.  Actually, since most of us aren't criminals and will never engage in criminal conduct, I think there are a host of other circumstances that we, as a group, are more likely to encounter.  Mental health situations, domestic violence situations, self-defense scenarios and situations in which the police invoke the powers given to them in those circumstances in situations which fall into those categories only in the officer's own mind and twisted words to a judicial authority.  Never underestimate their willingness to outright lie to get their warrant.  Also, natural disaster scenarios, fires, and to some extent medical emergencies and false or mistaken reports resulting in justified entries and searches.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Never underestimate their willingness to outright lie to get their warrant.  Also, natural disaster scenarios, fires, and to some extent medical emergencies and false or mistaken reports resulting in justified entries and searches.

This. There are a few bad apples in every profession. Simply having a vehicle break down by the side of the road can get you cuffed and stuffed and your lawfully possessed/transported unloaded long gun(s) seized.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Are there any new production mags that have no markings that tell when it was manufactured?  I still need to test out my date-stamping tool.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#11]
First, welcome aboard.

Second, don't relate preban lowers with the mag issue.  It's talked about a lot but I'm not sure where the confusion comes from.  You would only need to buy a Preban lower if you want to get around the AWB compliance for the rifle itself (collapsible stock, fh, ect.), you still need preban mags either way.

As others have said, pretty much all mags are identifiable, with the exception of cheap no name brands that you should stay away from anyway.

Adventureline, cooper, parsons, labelle, DSL/Sanchez all went out of business before the ban.  Okay and Center have both pre and post, but markings were changed and they are easily identified.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Okay and Center have both pre and post, but markings were changed and they are easily identified.

Is that to say "[Floorplate] markings were changed and they are easily identified."

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay and Center have both pre and post, but markings were changed and they are easily identified.

Is that to say "[Floorplate] markings were changed and they are easily identified."

good thing i run ranger plates and lumpy plates on my mags
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the mag body markings are different.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sold a couple cases of Center Industries prebans awhile ago and all were date stamped on the body.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the mag body markings are different.

I know some have lot numbers and dates, but I thought the majority didn't have any markings at all...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Ive heard you can tell by the welds on the spine?  Anyone got a pic of pre/post wmags?

Or am I thinking of different mags?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:05:41 AM EDT
[#18]
WHY do we keep beating a dead horse over the issue?
Refer the new people to the FAQ area on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:11:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dated preban mags have always commanded a premium price so it was  not unheard of for unscrupulous individuals and dealers to stamp dates on mags. The issue might even be worse now that the Federal AWB is expired and unmarked postban mags are freely available from vendors except in states like NY that has a LCAFD ban in effect.  Someone else also stated that if a PO is looking for dates on your mags you're probably already in deep shit and they're looking for tack on charges.    

Like I said YMMV but I don't see the point in paying a premium for dated mags when preban mags are easily identifiable.

So someone would be willing to get a company in say Italy to make an exact duplicte of a preban company like Adventureline;s rollmark and start taking baseplates that are unmarked and statr pumping those out??????? DO YOU GUYS REALIZE HOW MUCH A ROLLMARK WHEEL COSTS?????? Some are tens of tousands of dollars, you have to order a minumum of rolls and there is a set-up fee to tool up!

Yeah, counterfiet rollmarks and stampings would be so easy to do in someone's garage.... you guys are looking at this wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too hard!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So someone would be willing to get a company in say Italy to make an exact duplicte of a preban company like Adventureline;s rollmark and start taking baseplates that are unmarked and statr pumping those out??????? DO YOU GUYS REALIZE HOW MUCH A ROLLMARK WHEEL COSTS?????? Some are tens of tousands of dollars, you have to order a minumum of rolls and there is a set-up fee to tool up!

Yeah, counterfiet rollmarks and stampings would be so easy to do in someone's garage.... you guys are looking at this wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too hard!

These days it would be pretty easy to recreate a roll mark that would seem identical in the eyes of most people without the need for a multi-ton press.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

One more time, I don't see the point in paying a premium for dated mags when undated preban mags are easily identifiable. That's all.  If it makes you feel better or sleep at night have at it with all the dated preban mags you can find.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top