Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2012 9:08:02 PM EDT
I've got a chance to obtain a MAK-90 that has the traditional thumbhole stock on it.  Very nice gun.

However, my yearning is for a traditional stock and pistol grip.  I am located in NY.

The MAK is made prior to the '94 ban...  So I guess that makes it preban.  Does that make it 'anything goes' as far as conversion to traditional grip?

I may repost this in general AK for more responses.  Need to make the call on this rifle ASAP.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#1]
In your state you should be able to convert to traditional configuration. But you can't ad a bayo lug or thread the barrel and you have to add us compliance parts
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 12:28:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In your state you should be able to convert to traditional configuration. But you can't ad a bayo lug or thread the barrel and you have to add us compliance parts

Corrected.  You can since all MAK90s were imported prior to 9/13/94.  As long as it is 922r compliant (6 US parts), you are GTG.

Do you have a source for this statement? I would love to have something to refer to so I can feel comfortable turning my MAK into an AK clone. I have been considering doing just the Ironwood furniture set but the whole thing with bayo lug/cleaning rod holder and threaded barrel with slant cut (non-pinned/non-welded/non-soldered) muzzle brake would be AWESOME!

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:07:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Check the barrel, with all or almost all, the rod holder has been cut off too.

I converted one, nice gun but the lack of the muzzle brake and cleaning rod bugged me - it was sooo close to an AK but not quite in terms of appearance.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:30:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Corrected.  You can since all MAK90s were imported prior to 9/13/94.  As long as it is 922r compliant (6 US parts), you are GTG.

Do you have a source for this statement? I would love to have something to refer to so I can feel comfortable turning my MAK into an AK clone. I have been considering doing just the Ironwood furniture set but the whole thing with bayo lug/cleaning rod holder and threaded barrel with slant cut (non-pinned/non-welded/non-soldered) muzzle brake would be AWESOME!

The "clinton" import ban went into effect in the spring of 1994...before the sept 1994 AWB went into effect, making all imported chinese firearms pre- NYS AWB...this includes the chinese drums and 30's.
a quick google will give you the "link" I can't figure out how to post that stuff on here.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:36:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I was wrong on the date? here it says 1993...

Importations of most Norinco firearms and ammunition into the United States were blocked during the Clinton Administration in 1993 under new trade rules when China's Most Favored Nation status was renewed. Concerns about their use by criminals in inner cities was the main reason put forward for the prohibition. The prohibition did not apply to sporting shotguns or shotgun ammunition however.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#7]
It was September of '94 that it went into effect.

All MAK-90's were made between 90 and 94.

I've done the research on this;  I can do whatever the fuckall I want as long as it flies with 922r.  Ironwood stock is on its way to a refinisher and I'm deciding what other 3 pieces I will swap.

Also threading, going to slant brake, and swapping out the FSB and gas block for lugged ones.

I'll post up when done, she should be pretty glorious
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#8]
For other parts that I recall, I got the Tapco gas piston, nice piece only the original pin was a b*tch to get out.  I also replaced the trigger group with the Tapco one.  Not bad at all.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I have never felt an AK trigger like this one though.

I might go followers/floorplates/piston to keep the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:11:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, the Chinese AKs do have nice triggers for an AK.  

IMHO, I'd skip changing the mags, unless perhaps it's your only 7.62x39 AK.  With our current brain-dead laws, you'd be committing a felony by accidentally putting the wrong mag in the gun.  

ETA:  The Tapco G2 trigger is pretty good.  You're not losing much.  

No 75-round drum fun for you!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:31:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Tried the Tapco trigger on one of my buddies guns... Holy crap that is a nice trigger for an AK
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone dealing with 922r would do well to read the following letter that was sent to the ATF on this very subject. The current ATF position is documented in the second letter.

Questions about 922r.

Answers from the ATF.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I still say I polish everything and laser engrave 'made in the USA' on all of it and call it a day, haha.

Not really, I already ordered the G2 group just in case I fo that route.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Checked out my NHM-91 again for kicks since it was sitting on the bench...  You should enjoy the G2 trigger.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I had one in my SA2000M and it was ok.  I definitely think this Norinco is far more smooth.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I wish I could remember, it's been a long time since I've done the 922r conversion on that gun.  I probably polished it a little bit.  Still not a bad trigger at all.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:02:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Ordered the G2.  Probably going to order a gas piston, some followers and floorplates too.  Keep my options open.

The G2 is definitely going to get a polish job if it's going in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top