Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2011 6:50:24 AM EDT
I envision a weekend event with a cookout and camp out in the CNY area, possibly at Otisco Lake Rod and Gun sometime this summer.  Bring whatever parts you have and leave with a complete NYS-compliant rifle.

Expect the total completion of your project from start to finish; Saiga conversions, AK builds, AR builds, FAL's, etc.  Complete with media blast, parkerizing and Duracoat/Gun-Kote/Cerakote finish on site.  

Saigas can be totally converted to AK-100 series rifle clones.  AK's can built up on NoDak receivers.  AR uppers will have muzzle devices pinned and welded.  FAL's will simply be awesome.

For AK junkies there are kits on the market that come with US barrels installed and head spaced.  Curtis @ AK-Builder offers that service and his kits are reasonably priced.  Saigas are easy to do with the right equipment and I can list what you'll need to accomplish a full conversion.  

For tools, I have a full selection of AR assembly tools, torque wrench, drill press, cheap band saw, 12-ton H-frame press, AK-Builder rivet jig, receiver drilling fixture, barrel press kit, trigger guard drilling guide block, trigger guard rivet jig and a few other assorted tools.  I may have a HF media blasting cabinet and compressor to bring as well.

Who might be interested?
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm already doing an AK build with 10 or so people in July but I would be interested pending whatever could come up. I have a complete Cerakote setup, compressors, HVLP guns, hand tools, press, etc. and should have a new mill coming at the end of May or early June.

ETA: Are you thinking of a one or two day AK build party? If people are coming with 5 different types of guns to build it will obviously slow the motion of things down.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#2]
In if I can get away from work.... building guns...
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

As if you get sick of it... I was thinking of making this a full-blown camp out with grilling dead animals and sampling some fine brews, and maybe build some guns too.

I was conversing with fp1201 this past weekend and tossed out the idea for another build party; specifically an AR assembly party, but I'm kind of in an AK mood lately too.

Rich, what are your party plans? Any chance of merging parties, or are you pretty well set?  I'm just looking to do some Saiga conversions after seeing one of gunwolf's conversions.  The only problem is I don't have any experience with welding or own any welding equipment to close up the Saiga's extra holes.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

As if you get sick of it... I was thinking of making this a full-blown camp out with grilling dead animals and sampling some fine brews, and maybe build some guns too.

I was conversing with fp1201 this past weekend and tossed out the idea for another build party; specifically an AR assembly party, but I'm kind of in an AK mood lately too.

Rich, what are your party plans? Any chance of merging parties, or are you pretty well set?  I'm just looking to do some Saiga conversions after seeing one of gunwolf's conversions.  The only problem is I don't have any experience with welding or own any welding equipment to close up the Saiga's extra holes.

I would definitely be up for merging parties if we could make it happen with scheduling, etc. Gunwolf is suppose to make the trip out (pending his schedule, etc.).

Here's the thread we have going for the AK build party. So far we have around 10 or so people committed.

AK Build Party Thread

I definitely wouldn't mind doing a Saiga build at the party. I was trying to find one to purchase yesterday but RSR couldn't tell me when they expect them. Ideally I would like to SBS one in July-August.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Ideally I would like to SBS one in July-August.

I hate you.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ideally I would like to SBS one in July-August.

I hate you.  

Wait until I show up at the club to shoot a round of skeet with it . You won't be the only one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sounds like a plan to me.
Where do I start collecting AK parts?

Check out Apex, I think they still have some kits.

If you are looking for kits with original barrels check the EE, the AK forum, or AK Files. You'll pay a premium for them though.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#9]
the day after the rifle building party thirsty will be hosting a mary kay party as well

if I can get the parts I'd be down for this
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a re-barreled kit from AK-Builder.  Curtis and team do a pretty good job of barrel installs.  Pricey either way but check them out in case you can't find any others.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
the day after the rifle building party thirsty will be hosting a mary kay party as well

Group buy?
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Group buy?

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Group buy?

You laugh but Mary Kay parties are money makers.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#14]
In.  Lmk date so I can order parts
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Group buy?

I know my sister used to do it, so how much do you typically make at one
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Group buy?

I actually heard that Thirsty is suppose to head the test market for their new line of products for men. Instead of foundation I believe they're calling it tactical face paint now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I actually heard that Thirty is suppose to head the test market for their new line of products for men. Instead of foundation I believe they're calling it tactical face paint now.

You guys are killing me.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#18]
what would an ak kit cost range be?   I might be interested in doing one.   Though I really want to get an ar put together
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
what would an ak kit cost range be?   I might be interested in doing one.   Though I really want to get an ar put together

$180 for stripped kit, $125 for Romy chrome lined bbl, $90 for receiver, $30-50 comp. parts.

If you want an AR do an AR. One could easily be throw together at a build.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

$180 for stripped kit, $125 for Romy chrome lined bbl, $90 for receiver, $30-50 comp. parts.

thats not bad at all, I'll have to take a look.   if anyone ends up ordering one let me know where you got it from
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats not bad at all, I'll have to take a look.   if anyone ends up ordering one let me know where you got it from

The problem with the above is that it uses a virgin barrel. Takes quite a bit longer to work with.

Check out AK-Builder like Thirsty mentioned, they have kits with barrels already installed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#22]
That sounds like it might be fun.
Rich,can you transfer receivers at a "build party"?
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That sounds like it might be fun.
Rich,can you transfer receivers at a "build party"?

Only if it was held at my location. I can't transfer stuff off premises.

ETA: Here's a few parts kits on the EE.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=866026

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I mentioned Saigas a couple of times now: they build into excellent AK's with a little work. They are built on Russian semi-auto AK receivers.  Saiga rifles can be found easily and can be made into a mean AK and you won't need a kit. Ask gunwolf to show you the one he did. It is sweet.

For a Saiga conversion, you'll need a basic Saiga rifle in 7.62x39, .223, .308, or 5.45.  They cost between $350 and $550 (for the .308), even cheaper for a used one. Shotguns can't be converted legally unless you're a cop or an 07, FYI. A pistol grip and detachable mag is no-go on a shotgun.

You'll also need a Bulgarian AK-74 FSB and muzzle brake.  CNC Warrior makes nice Bulgarian-style muzzle brakes that are cheaper than K-Var's offerings and count towards 922r.  You'll need standard AK furniture, an AK rear sight, Tapco FCG, and an AK bullet guide in your caliber of choice. All can be found in the EE, gunbroker, theakforum marketplace, or various vendors like Copes, K-Var, DPH Arms, etc.  Dinzag feed ramps are an easier alternative to installing a standard guide but I honestly haven't had much luck with them.

If you want to replace the Saiga hand guard with that of a standard AK, you'll need a new gas block and hand guard retainer. Not a new gas block necessarily, but if you want a cleaning rod on the rifle you will want to swap it.

The hardest part of a Saiga conversion is welding the extra holes closed. But that isn't hard for a skilled welder. If anyone is a good welder and doesn't mind helping out, bring your gear and it'll make this build even better.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I mentioned Saigas a couple of times now: they build into excellent AK's with a little work. They are built on Russian semi-auto AK receivers.  Saiga rifles can be found easily and can be made into a mean AK and you won't need a kit. Ask gunwolf to show you the one he did. It is sweet.

For a Saiga conversion, you'll need a basic Saiga rifle in 7.62x39, .223, .308, or 5.45.  They cost between $350 and $550 (for the .308), even cheaper for a used one. Shotguns can't be converted legally unless you're a cop or an 07, FYI. A pistol grip and detachable mag is no-go on a shotgun.

You'll also need a Bulgarian AK-74 FSB and muzzle brake.  CNC Warrior makes nice Bulgarian-style muzzle brakes that are cheaper than K-Var's offerings and count towards 922r.  You'll need standard AK furniture, an AK rear sight, Tapco FCG, and an AK bullet guide in your caliber of choice. All can be found in the EE, gunbroker, theakforum marketplace, or various vendors like Copes, K-Var, DPH Arms, etc.  Dinzag feed ramps are an easier alternative to installing a standard guide but I honestly haven't had much luck with them.

If you want to replace the Saiga hand guard with that of a standard AK, you'll need a new gas block and hand guard retainer. Not a new gas block necessarily, but if you want a cleaning rod on the rifle you will want to swap it.

The hardest part of a Saiga conversion is welding the extra holes closed. But that isn't hard for a skilled welder. If anyone is a good welder and doesn't mind helping out, bring your gear and it'll make this build even better.

With the shotguns a thumbhole stock could be used.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Group buy?

I actually heard that Thirsty is suppose to head the test market for their new line of products for men. Instead of foundation I believe they're calling it tactical face paint now.

Back in the day it was called a "cammo stick" and we softened them with "bug juice" (DEET) they're probably both outlawed now.  
I'd be in for most anybuild so long as I don't have to work on any shit-metal guns.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Count me in too. I wont be building any new ak's but I can certainly bring along my tools and help others build theirs. I can also cook a mean burger and am pretty good at drinkin beer
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#28]
So when are we thinking of doing this and where? The sooner I know the sooner I can try to block these days so I can try to make it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the shotguns a thumbhole stock could be used.

I would be interested in a conversion with a thumbhole stock....what needs to be done besides replacing the stock? Looks like most of the conversion work is the pistol grip?
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would be interested in a conversion with a thumbhole stock....what needs to be done besides replacing the stock? Looks like most of the conversion work is the pistol grip?

Depends on how far you want to go.  I wish SBS's were legal in NY, because a fully converted super-short Saiga 12GA is one of the most sexy beasts on the planet.

If you want AK sights, you'll need to install an FSB (front sight block) and a rear sight.  The shotgun will need the bottom cover stripped off and the FCG replaced if the thumb hole stock is one that occupies the pistol grip position.  You'll need a new trigger guard as well, or weld the existing guard onto the mag catch assembly.  If you want all the existing holes closed up, those will need to be welded or plugged.  Then it needs the welds ground flush, a bead/media blast and some paint.  Believe it or not, there's a lot of work involved but nothing that can't be accomplished in a weekend of work!  

IMHO constructing your own AK rifle/shotgun is very rewarding!
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So when are we thinking of doing this and where? The sooner I know the sooner I can try to block these days so I can try to make it.

I was thinking May or June for our build, but if we merge parties we could do it when you have it planned in July.  I want to do 2 days because the last build I put on failed in time management.

I don't know where you plan to hold your build, but I'd like to do it at Otisco Lake R&G.  Most everyone knows where it is from SP10's shoots and being near Syracuse it's more central for the LI & Albany crew.  The clubhouse is large and can easily be configured for a build, it has an overhead door for moving in equipment, and of course we'll have a range to try our new toys out on.  Also, the clubhouse could serve as an inclement weather shelter for the camp out.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking May or June for our build, but if we merge parties we could do it when you have it planned in July.  I want to do 2 days because the last build I put on failed in time management.

I don't know where you plan to hold your build, but I'd like to do it at Otisco Lake R&G.  Most everyone knows where it is from SP10's shoots and being near Syracuse it's more central for the LI & Albany crew.  The clubhouse is large and can easily be configured for a build, it has an overhead door for moving in equipment, and of course we'll have a range to try our new toys out on.  Also, the clubhouse could serve as an inclement weather shelter for the camp out.

What do you think?

I might be able to do a June build. The AK build I have going in July is mostly people from Rochester and Buffalo so it would probably work better to keep them as two separate builds for now.

What type of electric does the clubhouse have @ Otisco? 110v only?
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#33]
There is already a fair number of May and June weekend events at Otisco between MDTS and events that I am running/hosting, and trap as well.

We need to review the club schedule and get something like this properly scheduled at a club meeting. A whole weekend is too much to just put together on the fly without proper input.

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There is already a fair number of May and June weekend events at Otisco between MDTS and events that I am running/hosting, and trap as well.

We need to review the club schedule and get something like this properly scheduled at a club meeting. A whole weekend is too much to just put together on the fly without proper input.

Any idea if the club house is restricted to 110v only?

Thirsty,

What size compressor do you have?
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on how far you want to go.  I wish SBS's were legal in NY, because a fully converted super-short Saiga 12GA is one of the most sexy beasts on the planet.

If you want AK sights, you'll need to install an FSB (front sight block) and a rear sight.  The shotgun will need the bottom cover stripped off and the FCG replaced if the thumb hole stock is one that occupies the pistol grip position.  You'll need a new trigger guard as well, or weld the existing guard onto the mag catch assembly.  If you want all the existing holes closed up, those will need to be welded or plugged.  Then it needs the welds ground flush, a bead/media blast and some paint.  Believe it or not, there's a lot of work involved but nothing that can't be accomplished in a weekend of work!  

IMHO constructing your own AK rifle/shotgun is very rewarding!

Would a under folder build be legal if the stock were welded in place, extended not folded?
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thirsty,

I have a small 6-gallon unit.  It's really not that good for anything but gassing tires.  The clubhouse is 110 only.  Where were you going to throw your July party?
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Would a under folder build be legal if the stock were welded in place, extended not folded?

Yes.  Pinned and welded.  It would be easy to do so long as we had a welder and equipment.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thirsty,

I have a small 6-gallon unit.  It's really not that good for anything but gassing tires.  The clubhouse is 110 only.  Where were you going to throw your July party?

I won't be able to bring my compressor to Otisco then, it runs off of 220. Sandblasting with anything smaller than a 60 gallon compressor is going to take a while.

We're doing it at my house. I have a small shop behind the house so it was our best option when trying to find a place locally to do it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Are you in Rochester or Syracuse? I may have a lead on a place in Syracuse that will have lots of space and the necessary utilities.  I'll keep you posted.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

For a Saiga conversion, you'll need a basic Saiga rifle in 7.62x39, .223, .308, or 5.45.  They cost between $350 and $550 (for the .308), even cheaper for a used one. .

Hey just FYI there are preban('94) Saigas out there too if you look hard enough.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Are you in Rochester or Syracuse? I may have a lead on a place in Syracuse that will have lots of space and the necessary utilities.  I'll keep you posted.

South of Rochester, just north of Dansville.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For a Saiga conversion, you'll need a basic Saiga rifle in 7.62x39, .223, .308, or 5.45.  They cost between $350 and $550 (for the .308), even cheaper for a used one. .

Hey just FYI there are preban('94) Saigas out there too if you look hard enough.

friend of mine picked up a preban Saiga...

interesting piece for sure.  Perfect candidate for being modified/rebuilt into an evil evil evil evil AK
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

friend of mine picked up a preban Saiga...

interesting piece for sure.  Perfect candidate for being modified/rebuilt into an evil evil evil evil AK

So did you check it out last night?

I need to get over and pick it up soon.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#44]
If someone's interested: Van Tassel's ordered a NoDakSpud AK receiver by mistake and she'd let it go for $125. (maybe less, if you haggle) Don't know if that's a deal or not....just passing along intel.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Bump!!!  

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Highly interested ive been wanting to learn how to build an ak for a wile now and with barreled romy kits going for 279 how can i say no. How hard is a 5.45 build i know a decent amount about aks but next to nothing about building them.
What about this kit what else would i need besides a reciever.

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30154
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:41:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Highly interested ive been wanting to learn how to build an ak for a wile now and with barreled romy kits going for 279 how can i say no. How hard is a 5.45 build i know a decent amount about aks but next to nothing about building them.
What about this kit what else would i need besides a reciever.

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30154

AK47 and AK74 are built the same way.

Aside from a receiver and barreled kit you will need compliance parts.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:35:30 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

If someone's interested: Van Tassel's ordered a NoDakSpud AK receiver by mistake and she'd let it go for $125. (maybe less, if you haggle) Don't know if that's a deal or not....just passing along intel.

Noted!!!  If I can get the time off for this, I'd be in!  I'd prefer an AR since I already have a bulgy '74, but I wouldn't mind a 7.62 AK.

And, screw Mary Kay, I vote for ARFCOM PASSION PARTIES!!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#49]
You've piqued my curiousity.

I have a thirty gallon compressor that is 110v.  Probably draws 20 amps at the worst.
Let it be known, though, that i have no kits right now, but if FP1201 brings his jig maybe he would be so kind as to bent up a few flats for me.

Just sayin'

edited for spilen.
edited again to add; I have a bench-top blast cabinet, too, but i wouldn't want to haul that, with media, etc, over there. Takes up too much room.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top