Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2011 6:30:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont think anything will happen to mitchel field this is across the street near the PX. Im over at the PX twice a week or more the hoems are run down and falling apart and so are some other buildings. Glad there letting the families stay i see them outside all the time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:31:13 AM EDT
[#2]
they have a deal with a developer to build new homes there.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Houses weren't that nice 6 or 7 years ago when I was last in one...
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to go to Subway inside the navy exchange. I worked right off Endo and walked to get a sammich. The property with the train tracks are still property of the MTA?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it depends on which train tracks.  Those running east and west just north of the exchange are probably MTA.  That little sidetrack deal west of but near the PX and the old Four Seasons store may have been for cargo sidetracked to the original air base.  I wonder who else on this site remembers the airbase, lol.

As for the range.  I Charlie Wang and "Wrecksons" plan had gone through, with a minor league ball stadium etc., I think the range was a goner.  Luckily for those of us that go to the range, there were enough NIMBY types to slaughter the "Hub's"  development potential.  These same NIMBY types probably (hopefully) don't even know the range exists.

Chapperjoe,
you used to go there all the time.  you still a little annoyed when you got there too close to closing ?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I wonder who else on this site remembers the airbase, lol.

My 94 year old uncle, a Major, was stationed there for a while during WW II.  He eventually wound up in the South Pacific.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#7]
My father grew up watching the planes take off and land. Train tracks still in use for circus trains I think. Wasn't an actor born at Mitchell Field? From Black awk Down.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:18:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think it depends on which train tracks.  Those running east and west just north of the exchange are probably MTA.  That little sidetrack deal west of but near the PX and the old Four Seasons store may have been for cargo sidetracked to the original air base.  I wonder who else on this site remembers the airbase, lol.

As for the range.  I Charlie Wang and "Wrecksons" plan had gone through, with a minor league ball stadium etc., I think the range was a goner.  Luckily for those of us that go to the range, there were enough NIMBY types to slaughter the "Hub's"  development potential.  These same NIMBY types probably (hopefully) don't even know the range exists.

Chapperjoe,
you used to go there all the time.  you still a little annoyed when you got there too close to closing ?

I refuse to go there cause of the lowlifes that work there.

nice cushy easy gubmint jobs at one of the few places that could bring money into our cash starved county.

they never miss an opportunity to screw the taxpayer or customer over.

f that.  if this were private sector, I think th4e staff would be alot higher quality.

on the flip side, if I felt different, I'd probably be there four to five times a month.

I'll just put that money into ammo for now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

nice cushy easy gubmint jobs at one of the few places that could bring money into our cash starved county.

f that.  if this were private sector, I think th4e staff would be alot higher quality.

on the flip side, if I felt different, I'd probably be there four to five times a month.

cj,
Is that from personal experience, or stuff you've heard?

Reason I'm asking is 'cause I've always had a very pleasant experience dealing with the staff there.
I've gone in there expecting the "DMV" treatment and gotten the exact opposite.
(Wish I could say the same thing about most of the local gun shops)

eta: I did always get a weird feeling from that one guy Errol (or Ernie?). Never overtly hostile or rude
but just a vibe like he was sizing me up. However, I haven't seen him there in a long time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chapperjoe,

There is alot I could say but I won't
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The staff has changed recently, stop bitchin and start shooting your gonna rust up.

ain't that ht etruth.

I think my next range session is gonna be at markham park
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Was there on a Tues morning had a good experence but  the price $20.00 for an hour
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I've always been treated well at MF, no problems. Sometimes it's real busy and you have to wait. No real issues.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#15]

A very long time
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:22:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

cj,
Is that from personal experience, or stuff you've heard?

Reason I'm asking is 'cause I've always had a very pleasant experience dealing with the staff there.
I've gone in there expecting the "DMV" treatment and gotten the exact opposite.
(Wish I could say the same thing about most of the local gun shops)

eta: I did always get a weird feeling from that one guy Errol (or Ernie?). Never overtly hostile or rude
but just a vibe like he was sizing me up. However, I haven't seen him there in a long time.

I've always had good experiences there, even paying 20/hr....they are head and shoulders above the 2 suffolk indoor ranges!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I shoot there occasionally. I have always found the staff courteous and friendly. The last few trips I've seen there is a new (to me) RSO and he was very professional and seemed to be positive addition to the staff. He approached us as we entered the shooting area and asked if we could remove our rifle from the cases at the shooting lane pointed down range. He also asked us to case the rifle in the reverse manner when we were done. It was a pleasant exchange and nice to see someone paying that much attention to what is going on. Personally I don't like people coming in to shoot and removing the rifles from the cases on the table instead of the shooting position they are assigned. I know my rifles are unloaded, I can't say the same for other people.
Just my $.02

Ken
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#18]
The homes are to be build just north of the Coliseum
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I shoot there occasionally. I have always found the staff courteous and friendly. The last few trips I've seen there is a new (to me) RSO and he was very professional and seemed to be positive addition to the staff. He approached us as we entered the shooting area and asked if we could remove our rifle from the cases at the shooting lane pointed down range. He also asked us to case the rifle in the reverse manner when we were done. It was a pleasant exchange and nice to see someone paying that much attention to what is going on. Personally I don't like people coming in to shoot and removing the rifles from the cases on the table instead of the shooting position they are assigned. I know my rifles are unloaded, I can't say the same for other people.
Just my $.02

Ken

When the new range officer (bald dude, forgot his name) is around he usually insists people unpack at their stations rather than at the tables.
He also is pretty anal about safety and cleaning up as well as getting people out when their time is up and others are waiting.

btw.. its only 7 bucks w/ a leisure suit larry pass.  The place is usually well maintained.  Unfortunately... no AC in summer and limited hours.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just my $.02

Ken

When the new range officer (bald dude, forgot his name) is around he usually insists people unpack at their stations rather than at the tables.
He also is pretty anal about safety and cleaning up as well as getting people out when their time is up and others are waiting.

btw.. its only 7 bucks w/ a leisure suit larry pass.  The place is usually well maintained.  Unfortunately... no AC in summer and limited hours.

That's him, I had no issues at all with him. BTW, It's $3.50 if you a veteran with the leisure pass............Ken
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Doesn't this place exist primarily for LE use, With public access being a secondary purpose?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#22]
ostensibly its a public range.

though the police use is probably why it hasn't been closed over the years.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I never had an issue with any RO's there.

In fact, I didn't know there were any.

The front desk shenanigans are what turned me off. permanently.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
ostensibly its a public range.

though the police use is probably why it hasn't been closed over the years.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top