Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2011 4:36:15 AM EDT
A NYC resident in the process of obtaining a premises permit asked this question recently.  Being from upstate I'm not sure of the answer.  

The NYC permit is good for the rest of NYS and premises license allows for transport of handguns and ammunition in SEPARATE LOCKED CONTAINERS, DIRECTLY to and from an authorized range, or hunting location.

With the NRA approved shooting competition letter, (issued to allow out of state competitors an exemption) travel to an upstate IDPA competition is no problem.  Right?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:09:10 AM EDT
[#1]
No!  Under state law you can't even transport to/from a range within NYC but the NYPD just ignores the NYS licensing law within NYC.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:13:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No!  Under state law you can't even transport to/from a range within NYC but the NYPD just ignores the NYS licensing law within NYC.

Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#3]
There is no such thing as a "premises license with a hunting authorization" under state law. Like I said NYC just makes things up.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/permits/gun_licensing_faq.shtml

Can I go target shooting outside NYC?

A NYC carry business license is valid throughout NYS. Premise residence
and premise business licenses are only valid in NYC except as indicated
in the next section.
Can I go hunting if I have a premises residence license?

You must obtain a hunting authorization from the License Division to
hunt in an authorized area designated by the NYS Fish and Wildlife law.
Your handgun must be transported unloaded, in a locked container and you
must comply with all relevant NYS hunting regulations.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:23:24 AM EDT
[#4]
As far as I understand, NYC made up the whole "premises permit with hunting authorization" after they withdrew hunting/sportsman permits which were legally "carry" permits and if caught carrying a permit holder couldn't be criminally prosecuted. I believe there was a case when a "sportsman" permit holder was caught with a pistol and all NYC could do to him was to nullify his permit. And that prompted NYPD to stop issuing "sportsman" permits altogether. What a bunch of scumbags!

So if a "premises with hunting authorization" permit holder gets stopped upstate, will the police there honor this "authorization"? Have there been cases like that? I know it's not legal under the State Law, but maybe fear of political repercussions will keep the permit holder safe?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Ironically if he were traveling from out of State to a Competetion, that would be legal. (so long as the conditions were met)  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#6]
NYC realllllly needs to be bitch slapped soon...for their elitist pistol licensing laws, as well as for their defacto long gun ban they call an "Assault Weapon Ban" - Yeah, a ruger 10/22 sure is an assault weapon!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Hopefully SAF will get to NY next.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#8]
We will.  In the meantime there is effort in the works to slap down every local law outside of NYC.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

As far as I understand, NYC made up the whole "premises permit with hunting authorization" after they withdrew hunting/sportsman permits which were legally "carry" permits and if caught carrying a permit holder couldn't be criminally prosecuted. I believe there was a case when a "sportsman" permit holder was caught with a pistol and all NYC could do to him was to nullify his permit. And that prompted NYPD to stop issuing "sportsman" permits altogether. What a bunch of scumbags!

So if a "premises with hunting authorization" permit holder gets stopped upstate, will the police there honor this "authorization"? Have there been cases like that? I know it's not legal under the State Law, but maybe fear of political repercussions will keep the permit holder safe?

Under state law the licensed handgun is registered to either the business or residence address and is not valid away from the licensed premises except for transport to/from a licensed NYS dealer in firearms or a NYS licensed gunsmith.  Any other use is prohibited and even a change in residence or business address requires a new pistol license application be submitted and approved prior to moving the licensed firearms to the new residence or business. A NYS FFL with a NYS dealer in firearms license cannot transport his/her handguns from the licensed premises except for a very limited number of business purposes.

This is the case you were referring to.

http://neuro.law.cornell.edu/nyctap/search/display.html?terms=&url=/nyctap/I98_0139.htm

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hopefully SAF will get to NY next.

The Second Amendment Foundation is here....has been here for some time and continues to publish and print the "The New Gun Week" right here in the Buffalo area.

Joe and Peggy have been fighting the "good fight" here in New York for years......

SAF activism isn't a "new" thing......

Joe

....and it aint free folks. Support doesn't come from "rah-rah" internet threads, it comes from our wallets and our check books. WE NEED HELP!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top