Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2010 2:25:36 PM EDT

Bloomy's gun-plan backfire

By SALLY GOLDENBERG

Last Updated: 9:38 AM, October 26, 2010

Posted: 1:04 AM, October 26, 2010

Mayor Bloomberg's plan to slash fees for pistol permits is facing a blaze of opposition in the City Council, with many members saying the move is a misfire for one of the nation's leading voices against gun violence, The Post has learned.

Bloomberg is pushing a council bill –– introduced at his request by Public Safety Committee Chairman Peter Vallone (D-Queens) –– that would cut the $340 price for original or renewal applications to between $25 and $110, depending on the type of permit.

During a closed-door caucus meeting of about 15 Democratic members of the council yesterday, roughly 10 lawmakers voiced objections to the measure, several sources said.

, we've voted on numerous bills where fees and fines were increased and it would send a strange message to New Yorkers that the one fine we look to reduce is the fee and fine to permit a gun," Councilman Erik Dilan (D-Brooklyn), who did not attend the caucus, said.

City Hall sources said the bill, which seems to undercut one of the mayor's signature causes, is intended to avoid legal battles.

Cont.............................

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/news/local/bloomy_gun_plan_backfire_nqIFaam6NedDgY77i42IDM

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I notice they use the term "fine".
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope they don't reduce it. Then it sets up a nice juicy target for Mr. Gura.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#3]
"I don't know how anybody could . . . speculate that we're going to be sued by the National Rifle Association or any other entity for the fee when it's been set at that rate for several years," he said.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#4]
God I can't wait for these idiots to get their asses handed to them in supreme court.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Bad Driver? In Debt? Proposed NYC Law Would Ban You From Owning a Gun

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/Notice_of_Hearing_for_License_Division_Rule_Changes.pdf

New York City residents who want to own a gun may soon be denied permits if they are litterbugs, if they are bad drivers, or if they have fallen behind on a few bills.

Under proposed revisions to the police department's handgun, rifle and shotgun permit procedures, the NYPD can reject gun license applicants for a number of reasons, including:

If they have been arrested or convicted of almost any "violation," in any state; having a "poor driving history"; having been fired for "circumstances that demonstrate lack of good judgment"; having "failed to pay legally required debts"; being deemed to lack "good moral character"; or if any other information demonstrates "other good cause for the denial of the permit."

Critics say many of the restrictions are vague, have nothing to do

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/23/nyc-proposal-renders-bad-drivers-debtors-unfit-guns/?test=latestnews

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:08:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds great!  A perfect court case in the making.  If you can be denied a firearm for littering then I guess you cannot vote, borrow or buy books, or go to church.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sounds great!  A perfect court case in the making.  If you can be denied a firearm for littering then I guess you cannot vote, borrow or buy books, or go to church.

Better yet not be able to run for office  either. 99% the dipsticks would be out of office..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top