Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2010 9:26:56 AM EDT
October 22, 2010

BUFFALO, NY (WKBW) - The latest poll on the race for New York State Governor shows Republican underdog Carl Paladino trailing Democrat Andrew Cuomo by only 14 points.

A Siena Research Institute poll released earlier this week showed Paladino down by more than 30 points.

A Rasmussen research poll of likely voters released Friday shows Cuomo leading Paladino 51-37, with 5 percent supporting another candidate and 6 percent undecided.

The report shows only 39 percent of voters in the state have a favorable opinion of Paladino. In contrast, Cuomo is viewed favorably by 57 percent of voters.

Paladino campaign manager Michael Caputo released the following statement regarding the latest poll:

"Today's Rasmussen Reports survey of likely voters in the New York State shows Buffalo builder Carl Paladino down by 14 points against career politician Andrew Cuomo, 51 to 37 percent. This is wildly different from the recent Siena and New York Times surveys, both which showed a dubious difference. Public polls are unreliable in this volatile election season, but Rasmussen appears to have a better handle on their research in this environment. Paladino supporters are excited this race is tightening again as our statewide media buy kicks in."

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#1]
That's why we can't throw in the towel like a buch of Debbie Downers...

Get the message out people !!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#2]
So unfair to Jimmy McMillan not to mention him by name

New York State Survey of 500 Likely Voters
Conducted October 19, 2010
By Rasmussen Reports

1* If the 2010 election for governor of New York were held today would you vote for Republican Carl Paladino or Democrat Andrew Cuomo? (Please note that we split the survey to rotate the order of the candidate names, so while half will hear the Republican candidate first, the other half hears the Democrat mentioned first.)

37% Carl Paladino (R)
51% Andrew Cuomo (D)
5% Some Other Candidate  6% Not Sure

2* I’m going to read you a short list of people in the News. For each, please let me know if you have a very favorable, somewhat favorable, somewhat unfavorable, or very unfavorable impression.

Paladino
Cuomo

3*A proposal has been made to repeal the health care bill and stop it from going into effect. Do you strongly favor, somewhat favor, somewhat oppose or strongly oppose a proposal to repeal the health care bill?

4* The health care plan passed by Congress requires every American to buy or obtain health insurance. Do you Strongly Favor, Somewhat Favor, Somewhat Oppose, or Strongly Oppose a federal law that requires every American to buy or obtain health insurance?

5* Should individual states have the right to opt out of the entire national health care plan?

6* Which candidate for governor has a better plan for creating jobs in New  York….Carl Paladino or Andrew Cuomo?

7* Is it possible for a candidate to win an election without criticizing his opponent?
8* Is it a negative ad when one candidate accurately describes the position of another candidate?

9* Do negative campaign advertisements make you more or less likely to vote for the candidate who produced the ad?
10* Generally speaking, how would you rate the U.S. economy these days? Excellent, good, fair, or poor?

11* Are economic conditions in the country getting better or worse?

12* Do you consider yourself part of the Tea Party Movement?
13* How would you rate the job Barack Obama has been doing as President… do you strongly approve, somewhat approve, somewhat disapprove, or strongly disapprove of the job he’s been doing?
14* How would you rate the job David Paterson has been doing as Governor… do you strongly approve, somewhat approve, somewhat disapprove, or strongly disapprove of the job he’s been doing?
NOTE: Margin of Sampling Error, +/- 4.5 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Still voting for him and encouraging all of my non-libtard friends and family to do the same.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Encourage your libtard friends to vote for McMillan
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Keep the faith brothers......

I gave a certain person an earful after getting an E-mail earlier in the week.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep the faith brothers......

I gave a certain person an earful after getting an E-mail earlier in the week.

I don't watch TV. Is Paladino running ads?
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 3:19:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes.  I see them in the Albany area.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 4:51:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't watch TV, but I see a lot less Paladino signs now than a month ago, just outside Albany. Most signs are for very local (like one that lives a mile from me).
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:46:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm voting for him, but I can't say it is enthusiastically.  Love what he represents, hate how he presents. I'm afraid of a backlash down the ticket in areas where state legislative races are close.  Every time he opens his mouth he risks hurting himself and every other candidate with an R after his or her name.  He needs to remain tightly scripted until the end.

As for those polling numbers, they are basically party line splits.  NYS balances out to 5 Dems for every 3 Republicans.  So if you divide 8 into 100 you get 12.5.  Multiply 12.5 by 3 and you get 37.5.  What was Paladino's support at again?

Our best hope is we turn out and vote and the minor party candidates draw off enough support to bring Cuomo down... oh and a scandal with PROOF not CONJECTURE might help.

I do admire how Caputo spins though, basically took the expected party breakdown and paints it as Paladino is building momentum... well I suppose if he had lost all party support and was winning it back it would be a fair characterization.  BTW, Sienna's polls have always been suspect.

Caputo needs to cut out the cutesy "Cuomoland" cartoons and focus on the issues.  Carl had his chance in the debate to take shots at Andy, but passed.  There's no need to speculate on scandals...Status Cuomo is suspect enough.  His leadership of HUD gives us a perfect example of his terrible executive leadership and pocket-lining agenda.  He was silent on the fixed Aqueduct bid.  He gave Monserrate [EDIT: I meant Espada] a free pass on the embezzlement of his charitable foundation's money.  For all of the bashing of the MTA in the debate, Cuomo never stood in front of a camera to challege Patterson for appointing one of the MTA's former executives as his Lt. Governor.  (Did anyone read Donald Trump's one-page ad blasting his appointment? )

Carl and his campaign have a mountain of legitimate concerns to raise with the voters and they should focus heavily on it instead of allowing Carl to come across as a ranting, finger wagging, crazy old man on camera.  Jebus, the man is worth what, $150 million?  He certailnly must possess some executive qualities that will appeal to voters...put them on display!

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:59:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm voting for him, but I can't say it is enthusiastically.  Love what he represents, hate how he presents. I'm afraid of a backlash down the ticket in areas where state legislative races are close.  Every time he opens his mouth he risks hurting himself and every other candidate with an R after his or her name.  He needs to remain tightly scripted until the end.

As for those polling numbers, they are basically party line splits.  NYS balances out to 5 Dems for every 3 Republicans.  So if you divide 8 into 100 you get 12.5.  Multiply 12.5 by 3 and you get 37.5.  What was Paladino's support at again?

Our best hope is we turn out and vote and the minor party candidates draw off enough support to bring Cuomo down... oh and a scandal with PROOF not CONJECTURE might help.

I do admire how Caputo spins though, basically took the expected party breakdown and paints it as Paladino is building momentum... well I suppose if he had lost all party support and was winning it back it would be a fair characterization.  BTW, Sienna's polls have always been suspect.

Caputo needs to cut out the cutesy "Cuomoland" cartoons and focus on the issues.  Carl had his chance in the debate to take shots at Andy, but passed.  There's no need to speculate on scandals...Status Cuomo is suspect enough.  His leadership of HUD gives us a perfect example of his terrible executive leadership and pocket-lining agenda.  He was silent on the fixed Aqueduct bid.  He gave Monserrate a free pass on the embezzlement of his charitable foundation's money.  For all of the bashing of the MTA in the debate, Cuomo never stood in front of a camera to challege Patterson for appointing one of the MTA's former executives as his Lt. Governor.  (Did anyone read Donald Trump's one-page ad blasting his appointment? )

Carl and his campaign have a mountain of legitimate concerns to raise with the voters and they should focus heavily on it instead of allowing Carl to come across as a ranting, finger wagging, crazy old man on camera.  Jebus, the man is worth what, $150 million?  He certailnly must possess some executive qualities that will appeal to voters...put them on display!

Not a single one of those is sexy and will make a difference to anyone other than those firmly in Paladino's camp.  The shit that would bring Cuomo down is the same shit that brought John Sweeney down... substance abuse, domestic violence, sexual indiscretion. The shit you laid out is all far too substantive for the average American Idol fan to wrap their minds around.

You nailed it

From the limited discussions on politics I have had with my co workers I have tried to bring up things like his mismanagement of HUD and the shady dealings he has had, but all they care about is the pretty ads and how Cuomo "fights for the little guy like me"  Unless they catch him doing blow off a male hookers ass the masses will still support him. At this point our only hope is that we simply out show them at the polls.  If the voter turn out for D is low then it will be a tight race.  If its not it will be a blow out.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#14]
While calling it an 'absolute' isn't totally accurate, those that affiliate with or call themselves "Democrats" will vote in solidarity for whoever is on the party ticket.
Look at the races: it's been 51% Democrat with the rest split between Republicans and challengers of the other party's.
Paladino isn't the smooth, polished speaker with well rehearsed lines and a teleprompter, but look at what that's gotten us. (FUBO) It's high time we fired the salesmen that sell us a bill of goods passed off as for our own good, while pocketing huge commissions for the deals they broker at our expense. No more of "my guy isn't like that, he's taking care of ......"  
If you've got rats in the house, killing all of them except one pregnant female will not rid the house of rats, they will re-infest.

Biggest problem is arrogance: too many of those "American Idol" fans are so doped up on the fantasy of their perceived reality to admit they really don't know a damn thing besides what the media spoon feeds them.  

Me? I'm an incomplete dumb-ass who's been reading and learning to think.....the best lesson ever applied was that we're no where near as smart as we think we are.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Caputo needs to cut out the cutesy "Cuomoland" cartoons and focus on the issues.  Carl had his chance in the debate to take shots at Andy, but passed.  There's no need to speculate on scandals...Status Cuomo is suspect enough.  His leadership of HUD gives us a perfect example of his terrible executive leadership and pocket-lining agenda.  He was silent on the fixed Aqueduct bid.  He gave Monserrate [EDIT: I meant Espada] a free pass on the embezzlement of his charitable foundation's money.  For all of the bashing of the MTA in the debate, Cuomo never stood in front of a camera to challege Patterson for appointing one of the MTA's former executives as his Lt. Governor.  (Did anyone read Donald Trump's one-page ad blasting his appointment? )

Not a single one of those is sexy and will make a difference to anyone other than those firmly in Paladino's camp.  The shit that would bring Cuomo down is the same shit that brought John Sweeney down... substance abuse, domestic violence, sexual indiscretion.  The shit you laid out is all far too substantive for the average American Idol fan to wrap their minds around.

Wait a sec...I think you just described our current Goobernor!
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  I see them in the Albany area.

I'm a bit south of Albany. Still see Paladino signs around. I think are ashamed to put up Paladino signs but will vote for him. Lots of Gibson signs because he is from Kinderhook.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:36:17 AM EDT
[#17]
There are Paladino signs everywhere out here.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:51:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:53:34 AM EDT
[#20]
west of rochester in the country, you say WAY more Paladino signs then cumhole signs
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:55:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Out here in greene county i donot see ONE sign/ poster for paladino, i do talk to the very small group of friends , and family , any one have signs i would be happy to put them up, i have property on state RT 23west and RT32n super high traffic area , plus my house in the sticks, i would be happy to place a few around,,!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Out here in greene county i donot see ONE sign/ poster for paladino, i do talk to the very small group of friends , and family , any one have signs i would be happy to put them up, i have property on state RT 23west and RT32n super high traffic area , plus my house in the sticks, i would be happy to place a few around,,!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw some in Greene county yesterday.  Up in Hunter of all places.  Normally a pretty lib filled place
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#23]
they are all over in my area, a lot more orange and black then cuomo and duffy ,, and im near rochesteR!!!!1
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 12:38:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I kid you not my entire road almost has paladino signs. Coming home from work everyday all I see in orange and black.

LETS GO CARL!
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I have seen Palidino signs around here for quite a while.   I saw my FIRST Cuomo sign yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Syracuse area.  Lots of Cuomo signs.  A few Paladino/Edwards signs here and there, but they are far outnumbered.

Several acquaintances on facebook post like Cuomo is the second coming of Christ, and virtually no one has posted anything positive about Paladino or anything at all.  That doesn't mean much but it is discouraging.  I hope this is a case of the Silent Majority standing by for Paladino.  He did surprise us in the primary.

Regardless however, we need gridlock, which means we need a Republican senate to foil anything Cuomo tries to do if he takes the election.  And without a Republican senate, Paladino can't do anything if he wins it.

ETA: I'm getting sick of seeing Cuomo act like this election is his.  He's probably not wrong but the hubris alone makes me want to watch him crash and burn miserably.  The shock of him losing the election would also cost him his penis, as the sudden reflex would cause all the media outlets to collectively bite down hard.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Cuomo is earning his moniker of "Status Cuomo" with his recent comments
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I have seen a few Paladino signs and a couple Cuomo signs around Dutchess & Columbia counties.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Driving 100+ miles in CoCo Sat, I saw one Paladino sign by a gun store and one on Rt 20. The one by bridge construction on Rt 20 that had been there for a month was gone. I probably saw 30 Cuomo signs for each Paladino sign.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#31]
And when we got a visit from Dick Armey last fall, he told us that "Grass roots can beat daddy's money anyday."

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Well Cuomo might of just shot himself in the ass by attacking Paladino's Military Service.

BUFFALO, NY (WKBW) - New York Post reporter Fred Dicker published an article on-line Monday saying that Carl Paladino's claimed military service record is false.

Paladino and Dicker made headlines in September when the two got into a heated verbal exchange in Lake George. The incident escalated when Dicker challenged Paladino about evidence of his opponent's infidelity while Paladino accused Dicker of sending a photographer to the home of Paladino's 10-year-old daughter.

E-News - subscribe to our daily newsletter

Monday's article asserts that Paladino's claim that he commanded 250 men at Fort Bliss, Texas during six months of active duty for the U.S. Army in 1971 is false.

The NY Post article points to records that show Paladino was on active duty at the Texas base for only three months and quotes a former Fort Bliss officer who says the claim that Paladino commanded anyone at Fort Bliss is "a fraud."

Paladino had referenced his military background after coming under fire for his plan to house out of work citizens in dormitory-like facilities where they would learn professional skills and personal hygiene. Paladino said that his experience training soldiers taught him the importance of hygiene and physical fitness.

The Cuomo camp wasted no time sending out a statement based on the article's findings, saying Paladino is "ignorant" and "unqualified to lead" New York State.

Full Statement from Cuomo Campaign

“Given their hostility to facts, Mr. Paladino and his puppeteer Caputo appear to be engaged in a race to see whose nose can grow longer. More importantly, they are revealing troubling insights into Mr. Paladino’s character that further disqualify his candidacy," said Cuomo Campaign Spokesperson Josh Vlasto.

Paladino's campaign responded, calling Dicker's article an "amateur hit job" and clarified that the Republican gubernatorial candidate did in fact train about 250 troops a year while in the U.S. Army Reserves, and not while on active duty as previously stated.

Full Statement from Paladino Campaign

"If Andrew Cuomo had taken a few years out of his political career to serve in the military, he would know Fred Dicker's article today is just another amateur hit job. Of course he put out the contract with Dicker to get it done, and in doing so maligned all veterans in New York," said Paladino Campaign Manager Michael Caputo.

Retired CIA officer and Air Force veteran Gary Bernsten, a former candidate for U.S. Senate, also slammed Cuomo for "maligning Carl Paladino's service to our nation in the United States Army."

Full Statement from Gary Berntsen

"Carl Paladino served honorably as an officer on active duty in the US
Army and the US Army reserves," Berntsen said. "There is no disputing
that he commanded his unit on active duty and trained hundreds of
troops as a Captain in the Army Reserves."

With the election about a week away and polls indicating the race is tightening, the two campaigns have increased the mud-slinging. Cuomo is in Western New York Monday making campaign stops in Erie, Niagara and Genesee Counties, while Paladino is campaigning downstate.

Read the full statements from the candidates under related content.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Did Caputo retract his apology?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/commander_carl_army_claims_crock_cqWadc8aj4oLDlx4tzmEUL
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:46:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well Cuomo might of just shot himself in the ass by attacking Paladino's Military Service.

Wasn't smart, but it will take considerably more than this to knock Cuomo out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:55:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't smart, but it will take considerably more than this to knock Cuomo out.

Yeah, but no matter what that might be, ie: biting the heads off babies, gay hooker gangbangs, Cuomo's news media fluffers won't let the public know about it until after the election if at all. Oh it might come out, but the exposure would be minimal without it being on the AP wires, the big papers and the nightly news.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Lots of Paladino signs around here as well.  No matter, he will lose by 20% or more.  I'll vote for him anyway.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
While calling it an 'absolute' isn't totally accurate, those that affiliate with or call themselves "Democrats" will vote in solidarity for whoever is on the party ticket.
Look at the races: it's been 51% Democrat with the rest split between Republicans and challengers of the other party's.
Paladino isn't the smooth, polished speaker with well rehearsed lines and a teleprompter, but look at what that's gotten us. (FUBO) It's high time we fired the salesmen that sell us a bill of goods passed off as for our own good, while pocketing huge commissions for the deals they broker at our expense. No more of "my guy isn't like that, he's taking care of ......"  
If you've got rats in the house, killing all of them except one pregnant female will not rid the house of rats, they will re-infest.

Biggest problem is arrogance: too many of those "American Idol" fans are so doped up on the fantasy of their perceived reality to admit they really don't know a damn thing besides what the media spoon feeds them.  

Me? I'm an incomplete dumb-ass who's been reading and learning to think.....the best lesson ever applied was that we're no where near as smart as we think we are.  

I was watching the horror flick jeepers creepers and saw a bumper sticker on a car.  "I'm not a complete idiot.  I'm missing parts"

All that aside, we have to work through the media bias and keep on plugging as smart as we can.  The other bastards are smart at rigging the game and I don't want them to win.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#40]
boycott the buffalonews

they're latest hit piece is a joke and an insult to journalism
it didn't even deserve to be labeled an editorial let alone an article

this was on the main buffalonews.com website for most of the day
http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article232272.ece
"His history with blacks not a plus for Paladino"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top