Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 4:51:47 AM EDT
anyone here ever had their payments stopped when your child reached 21?  I have tried several times on the phone and could not get an actual person, then when I did they said they could not give me the info I needed.
I looked all over the NYS SCU website and still cannot find any answers...
How do I get these payments stopped? do I have to go back to court? is it just a phone call?  this shit is just the most annoying thing ever...can't wait till it's finnaly over.

oh I also over paid by about $400...what are the odds that NYS will ever give me back my $$$$$...cause they haven't sent it to my ex.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Next year, in Dec 2011, my ransom "child support" payments will end.  

Sometime next summer, I will be hiring a lawyer to make sure it's done on the very day my daughter turns 21.

Even if the lawyer charges me a shit-load for filing the paper work it will be worth it to be rid of
the $800/month payments. (17 years of $800/month, .......$163,000 + dollars, damm, damm....)

OP good luck, wish I had some advice for you but I don't.  I hope you can cut the vampires off and get your
overpayment(s) back without going to court.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:55:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Sometime next summer, I will be hiring a lawyer to make sure it's done on the very day my daughter turns 21.

Even if the lawyer charges me a shit-load for filing the paper work it will be worth it to be rid of
the $800/month payments. (17 years of $800/month, .......$163,000 + dollars, damn, damn....)

OP good luck, wish I had some advice for you but I don't.  I hope you can cut the vampires off and get your
overpayment(s) back without going to court.

HOLY SHIT!
That's $100. a month more than our house payment!
Must be the norm for Down State.....there are lots of people up here that live on that or less every month.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

anyone here ever had their payments stopped when your child reached 21?
I have tried several times on the phone and could not get an actual
person, then when I did they said they could not give me the info I
needed.

I looked all over the NYS SCU website and still cannot find any answers...

How
do I get these payments stopped? do I have to go back to court? is it
just a phone call?  this shit is just the most annoying thing
ever...can't wait till it's finnaly over.

oh I also over paid by
about $400...what are the odds that NYS will ever give me back my
$$$$$...cause they haven't sent it to my ex.

Hopefully you have all your original support orders, agreements etc. in a folder ready to go. No, you can't do over the phone. Yes you can file the required petition on your own but I strongly suggest that you have a family law attorney handle it or at the very least personally advise you what needs to be done after reviewing your file.

If you screw it up just be aware that until the court terminates the support order in your favor you will be responsible for continuing the support. Your chances of getting the money back are slim and none.

Quoted:

Having no idea where you reside and the backlog of cases in many counties you should contact your attorney in January 2011 for his advice as to when to file.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

HOLY SHIT!

That's $100. a month more than our house payment!

Must be the norm for Down State.....there are lots of people up here that live on that or less every month.  

When was the last time you reviewed the NYS child support calculation?

https://newyorkchildsupport.com/pdfs/cssa_2010.pd

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Somewhere along the line that old saying about if it was easy everyone would do it became true about undergraduate education.  To get anywhere in life, especially in downstate New York, you need a graduate degree of some sort...children are now dependant through 25, forget about that last year of college after they turn 21...never in history has there been a better argument that continuing support after 21 is not only good but vital and necessary.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are absolutely sure that payments stop when the child is 21, just stop paying. That's what I did. Is the child still in school ? I believe if the child is still a full time student and even if over 21, you still pay until child is through being a full time student.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If you are absolutely sure that payments stop when the child is 21, just stop paying.

Was your child support court ordered along with payments deducted by your employer and administered through the FC SCU?

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Since we are on the subject: If a separated couple making similar wages have joint custody and have the kids an equal amount of time can one of them sue for child support?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup.  Learn to deal with it w/o getting lawyers or the Family Ct. involved.  

NY Child Support Calculator

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Since we are on the subject: If a separated couple making similar wages have joint custody and have the kids an equal amount of time can one of them sue for child support?

Sure and you're probably not going to like how the court determines the amount of child support.  Unless the two of you are fond of paying attorney fees never bring the "man" into your life. You should really be discussing this with your attorney.

http://www.jdbar.com/Articles/basic-child-support-2.html

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:50:19 PM EDT
[#11]
go to the court and fill out the paper work requesting that they stop the of support payment, NY takes for ever to process anything.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Another possibility is the child becoming Emancipated.

"The parents no longer have an obligation to support them if they become economically independent through employment, entry into military service, or marriage, and may be constructively emancipated if they, without cause, withdraw from parental control and supervision."
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:13:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Just remember to stop it
Schoharie county sent me two year reviews to fill out
Except for the last one
Got me for $5850
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top