Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 5:44:46 AM EDT
Friend has a preban lower - an OLY with the stop-sign logo  so is very clearly pre-ban.  Are such lowers still fo value to folks in NY?  

He is NOT interested in selling it right now. But perhaps if he had any idea of it's value, he might change his mind.  Any guestimates?  (please don't IM me; I don't own it & am just checking for a friend).  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:56:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Prices have dipped a bit in recent months but I would still think a stripped Oly receiver would bring $400-$450.

A complete Oly lower depending on its configuration would be $500-550.

Ray
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:04:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Best bet would be to buy a complete pre-ban AR from someone in a free state, then part out the stuff you don't need.  You're probably going to pay a $3-400 premium for a pre-ban stripped receiver.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent - thanks!  

I don't think my friend realizes what he has.  Further, I'd like to see such a lower go to a state where it can be put to better use; meaning, my friend can use ANY lower while our brothers behind the lines need that pre-ban to build some configurations.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#4]
So then why doesn't he sell it to someone behind the lines for the price of a premium new lower and not price gouge his fellow AR lovers...?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So then why doesn't he sell it to someone behind the lines for the price of a premium new lower and not price gouge his fellow AR lovers...?

I sold my 1992 preban Oly lower in 2004 to a New York resident for $175 (sent to his FFL of course); I decided to leave the bolt catch and triggerguard in place rather than risk scratching the lower.  Buyer seemed happy to get it.  Dunno what his FFL charged him for the transfer.

Also sold some preban mags for about $10 to 15 each a while back.   I don't think I was gouging on my prices - but that is just me.

I will speak to my friend (thanks again for the info).  Unfortunatly, without the money involved, it would be tough to convince him to just "do the right thing" just out of the goodness of his heart.  Hopefully it will turn into a win-win situation for all (until all Newyorker's rights are fully restored).  Regards,

CBR

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#6]
"(until all Newyorker's rights are fully restored)."

Now there's a pipe dream.  Nice one though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I've never understood the term "price gouge" as it relates to preban guns and mags. Guns and mags aren't food staples, building supplies, water or fuel etc. being sold at inflated prices as a result a disaster.

The "preban market" should be a free market with prices determined by what sellers are willing to sell for and what purchasers are willing to pay. As a buyer if the price is too high make an offer. If you can't come to terms on the price keep looking until you find what you're looking for at the price you're willing to pay. It's that simple.

Anyone who thinks gun owner's in NY don't look for preban guns/mags on the cheap and flip them for a profit is a little naive.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Anyone who thinks gun owner's in NY don't look for preban guns/mags on the cheap and flip them for a profit is a little naive.

The one preban Colt lower I sold was to a friend who did not have any preban lowers and I charged him LESS than I paid for it.  Yes, I still have several preban lowers but if and when I get the hell out of this crappy State they will be staying here in the hands of people who need them and I will not be charging more than I paid for any of them.  If gun owners would stick together the libs would not be able to get away with the crap they do.  Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#9]
A 16 plus year old lower is just that......this is why I refuse to buy unless I can do a 1-1 trade and maybe give the guy a bit extra for his troubles.....(25-50 bucks above his FFL, and shipping fee....sounds about right)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Excellent - thanks!  

I don't think my friend realizes what he has.  Further, I'd like to see such a lower go to a state where it can be put to better use; meaning, my friend can use ANY lower while our brothers behind the lines need that pre-ban to build some configurations.

I wish more people in other states felt the same way.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Maybe some people; I think most just want to have a rifle with all the features.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I have bought and sold many preban lowers over the years, most of them here. When I price them I try to recoup what I have into the lower.....shipping, FFL fees and I always go through the weapon and replace any part(parts) that are not up to my standards!!

If you purchased preban weapons way back when , like the late 90s preban ARs had been fetching over $2k in a basic A2 set up.
So depending on what you paid selling the stripped preban lower today in what I consider the "going rate" would be selling at a huge loss.

Unfortunately due to a terrible boating accident all my preban Bushy lowers are gone but if I had to replace them at their complete current  configuration, It would be at $850-900 ea and this is how I would figure my price!!

Stripped lower     $500 (Preban Bushmaster)
LPK                      $  60
MilSpecRec Ex   $  30
H2 buffer              $  20
Spring                  $  10
KNS pins             $  30
CTR stock           $100
MIAD grip            $  40
Enhanced TG      $  20
FFL fees/ship      $  50

Total                    $860
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A 16 plus year old lower is just that......

I finally bought a pre-ban lower and paid much more than I told myself I ever would.

One, because I'd just sold some stuff an happened to have the money, and two because it was exactly what I was looking for. A 42 year old lower.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 16 plus year old lower is just that......

I finally bought a pre-ban lower and paid much more than I told myself I ever would.

One, because I'd just sold some stuff an happened to have the money, and two because it was exactly what I was looking for. A 42 year old lower.

42?  Thats Cougar territory
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've never understood the term "price gouge" as it relates to preban guns and mags. Guns and mags aren't food staples, building supplies, water or fuel etc. being sold at inflated prices as a result a disaster.

The "preban market" should be a free market with prices determined by what sellers are willing to sell for and what purchasers are willing to pay. As a buyer if the price is too high make an offer. If you can't come to terms on the price keep looking until you find what you're looking for at the price you're willing to pay. It's that simple.

See the problem with being from the great state of New York they hit us up on the taxes, lock us in a cage with these ridiculous gun laws, then everyone in the free states come to take our money from our pockets with used equipment that is at least 16 years old, that have endured much abuse throughout the years.  Then even if I did find a pre-ban lower then trick it out with everything then I go to the range and have fun with it.  The cops will just come along and take it away from us anyway because they don't realize it's  pre-ban then we have to pay lawyers and spend a lot of time just to get our $500 16 year old lower back that is not even a guarantee that we will get back.  I look at it this way, we spend sooo much money to try and have these awesome looking toys and for what!?! Just to have it?? I'd rather spend $250 on a good brand new lower then spend $500 on an old abused pre-ban.  So what if I don't get to have the collapsible stock or the high cap mags or the bayonet lug. What am I ever going to need that for, really?!??
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#16]
^ Just to have it.  Because they don't want me to have it.

Reason enough.

"So what if I don't get to have the collapsible stock or the high cap mags or the bayonet lug. What am I ever going to need that for, really?!??"

Spoken just like the people who passed the laws that took them away.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Reason enough.

"So what if I don't get to have the collapsible stock or the high cap mags or the bayonet lug. What am I ever going to need that for, really?!??"

Well said.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is true. Seen it a few times. They want it cheap then flip it at a premium.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:21:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Reason enough.

So are you saying that if they did finally some how make this a free state then you wouldn't really care about having the bayonet lug? Personally if I were to ever have a gun fight and everyone ran out of ammo I would rather use the bayonet like a knife and avoid getting blood and guts all inside my barrel and all over the gun that I well just have to clean out later.

Did you know that shotguns are aloud to have collapsible stocks? I am not saying they should have ever banned them in the first place.  I'm just saying that its going to cost me way too much money and aggravation in the long run to own a pre-ban that is used just because people want to make money on used items.  It doesn't really work that way, when buying a car the money you put into it you will never get back because if someone wants a old muscle car they want the original parts and nothing less.  Now if I found a chassis for a 1969 Chevy Chevelle, it's not going to cost me 1/3 of the price of the total car.  The motor inside should be at least that price.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:31:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is true. Seen it a few times. They want it cheap then flip it at a premium.

Mr. "I just bought 33 preban NIW lowers" comes to mind.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:47:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Exactly.People simply need to stop paying outrageous money for these.
Quoted:
A 16 plus year old lower is just that......this is why I refuse to buy unless I can do a 1-1 trade and maybe give the guy a bit extra for his troubles.....(25-50 bucks above his FFL, and shipping fee....sounds about right)

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:51:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reason enough.

So are you saying that if they did finally some how make this a free state then you wouldn't really care about having the bayonet lug? Personally if I were to ever have a gun fight and everyone ran out of ammo I would rather use the bayonet like a knife and avoid getting blood and guts all inside my barrel and all over the gun that I well just have to clean out later.

Did you know that shotguns are aloud to have collapsible stocks? I am not saying they should have ever banned them in the first place.  I'm just saying that its going to cost me way too much money and aggravation in the long run to own a pre-ban that is used just because people want to make money on used items.  It doesn't really work that way, when buying a car the money you put into it you will never get back because if someone wants a old muscle car they want the original parts and nothing less.  Now if I found a chassis for a 1969 Chevy Chevelle, it's not going to cost me 1/3 of the price of the total car.  The motor inside should be at least that price.

some of us are collectors.....we care about configurations.   Some of us care that stuff is "proper".  Some of us care to have stocks that can be adjusted for bench rest shooting, or shooting offhand...or giving the rifle to our nieces or girlfriends to shoot and have them be the proper length of pull for them.  Some of us dont want loud ass muzzle brakes or ugly plain barrels, and value our night vision and being able to shoot in low light situations on our farms or in a carbine class.

Crazy, I know.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:38:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I am currently in VA.  If it is a complete lower  I will trade him a stag lower with a r-guns SS LPK and commercial collapsable stock (purchased complete a few months ago) for it.  I am not a VA resident but I will pay the transfer fees.  If it is a stripped lower, I will trade him stripped for stripped.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am currently in VA.  If it is a complete lower  I will trade him a stag lower with a r-guns SS LPK and commercial collapsable stock (purchased complete a few months ago) for it.  I am not a VA resident but I will pay the transfer fees.  If it is a stripped lower, I will trade him stripped for stripped.

IBTL!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#25]

some of us are collectors.....we care about configurations.   Some of us care that stuff is "proper".  Some of us care to have stocks that can be adjusted for bench rest shooting, or shooting offhand...or giving the rifle to our nieces or girlfriends to shoot and have them be the proper length of pull for them.  Some of us dont want loud ass muzzle brakes or ugly plain barrels, and value our night vision and being able to shoot in low light situations on our farms or in a carbine class.

Crazy, I know.

I'm not disagreeing with you here.  I'm just saying that people in the free states charge us caged states, our arm and our right nut for something that has been molested for 16 years plus!  Its really hitting us below the belt, while our arms tied behind our back.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#26]
You guys crack me up your whine and cheese rants. If you stay in NYS it's only going to get worse over the next ten years.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IBTL!!

Why would that cause a lock.  He was asking what it is worth,  I am moving to NY and to me it is only worth trading him my fairly new for his old, plus me payign all the transfer fees, since we would have to doit through a FFL.  Maybe his friend would rather have a newer one then an old one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Because this isn't the EE lol
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You guys crack me up your whine and cheese rants. If you stay in NYS it's only going to get worse over the next ten years.

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=8524

lol.

I have a pre-ban I want to sell but I don't want to list it in the EE because when I do, it will be for what I paid for it.  I just don't want to deal with the bellyaching and angry PM's from the frothing, righteously indignant masses.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Jesus on a pogo-stick!  Now this thread even has graphics.

Did not mean to open Pandora's box with a simple question.  I just happened to know a little about NYS  gun laws after having lived there for 2 years (Buffalo 97-99) & thought maybe I could help out a local guy AND someone in NY.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#31]
CBR900, Listen we're just a little cranky here since most if us have lost all our guns in tragic accidents. The majority of poster's here

have preban Pretty Pony collections now.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#32]
The great irony of my pre-ban build (I hate the term "build"), it won't have a bayonet mount.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm not disagreeing with you here.  I'm just saying that people in the free states charge us caged states, our arm and our right nut for something that has been molested for 16 years plus!  Its really hitting us below the belt, while our arms tied behind our back.

I am not sure who has been molesting what but almost all the preban weapons I have encountered are usually in excellent condition.

Thankfully firearms age better then their owners.

Like any used purchase you always take a chance .A new lower is still legal here so I would say if you are not interested in a preban type configuration then go post ban , quite honestly I have built post ban rifles that I am very happy with.

Now if we want to talk pricey , how about a NIB Polytech Legend or an FNC

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:22:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Its gone far enough. Im sure your friend has sold it by now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Its gone far enough. Im sure your friend has sold it by now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top