Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2010 6:47:17 AM EDT
Well  I mowed the lawn this weekend and on one side of my property that backs up to a small forested area I discovered a rat's nest of well, rats.
I saw 6 - 7 casually strolling around, stopping only to seemingly say "Hi jerkoff!" in the middle of the day. The wife is contemplating a move back to her
parents house till I solve this. I set 3 rat traps and set up 4 rat poison stations - one of the traps was gone this AM and I found a fresh-dead rat on
my side walk. Any other suggestions?? Thanks fellas - Ed
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Rats like to follow walls or sides of stuff, Place some traps around your house. If you flush them out of there hole they will make a hole in your house.... So DO NOT SMOKE THEM OUT. Trap and bait was the way I got ride of a bunch of feild mice in my grandfathers house...
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:44:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
colibri's and a 10-22

you got it wrong, you'll want a cohiba for this job.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Years back I had a problem with HUGE rats at my grandfathers. (like the size of rabbits) I started shooting them out the bathroom window. First with CB caps which weren't doing the job. Then with .22 shorts which would roll them... then they'd run away.  Not wanting to go to jail I didn't go any bigger (louder).

I learned the hard way that you have to tie or nail the traps down or you'll lose all of them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#7]
anything less than C4 would be uncivilized
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#8]

great vid..sometimes I want to spot a rat so my rat terrier can destroy him.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Well - my neighbor across-the-street who saw me set the traps called me at the office to tell me that my missing trap
was under his truck this AM so yes, it looks like I'll need to tie down the traps. Thanks for the suggestions so far -

Ed Sr: The problem is beyond that...there is a big dirt mound with many ratholes all around it.

Mag's idea would work great - I actually went into armory and loaded the single six with .22 rat shot
but I wussed out - with my luck a cruiser will turn the corner as touch off the first round...
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Back in my youth,I'd kill most anything with my Crossman 760 and pellets.
That is till I turned 12 and got a Ruger 10/22.
You might try baiting them with poisoned food. Let the big boys bring it home to the
little guys.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#11]
You need to borrow my "Tiger":

He just left another one on the front walkway a few days ago.  I am surprised the vermin do not put a warning sign to their brethren to stay away.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#12]
More feeding stations and tie them down too. You have a huge infestation if you see them walking around. I had a problem with one trying to get in the house by making a hole in the wall. That's when I stated to see the signs of a problem.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:33:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought all the rats were in Albany.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like a job for a nuclear hand grenade
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:20:19 AM EDT
[#16]
If you're using bait outside, just be sure it is set in a manner so no  ones pet can get at it. Poisoned rats and mice will go to water -when we dose them in the horse barn, we often find them floating in water buckets-a pleasant surprise.  I  also use conibear muskrat traps (not leg hold-the instant kill kind) very effective on the big boys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top