Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2010 5:07:26 PM EDT
Just wanted to put up a quick review of the handgun class I attended this weekend.

For those of you who don't know Chris Fry or have not heard of MDTS, you are missing out. For more info on Fry and MDTS go HERE
The class- Combative Pistol Skills 1+2. We were hosted at New Paltz Rod and Gun, by Mike. There were a few other members of the range there as well. It was an amazing day to be outside shooting with good company. It was HOT. I give everyone credit for sticking out the day and not dropping dead from heat stroke. Chris packs a lot of info in his classes. I agree with Chris in the fact that it gives the students a chance to rise to the occasion, and take in such a large amount of info. These classes, as with any class you get out what you put in. I encourage everyone to attend any type of training, and keep an open mind and absorb as much info as you can.

Overview- We started out in a classroom setting, and went over range safety as well as handgun safety, then quickly rolled into a discussion of NYS Article 35. For me, the discussion on article 35 was awesome, and just as important as range/live fire time. Being a armed citizen is a major responsibility, as well as a lifestyle choice. This is not everyone's cup of tea, but the proper knowledge of the law and the skills to defend you and your loved ones are priceless to have.

We then quickly moved out to the range, and began live fire drills. We started off slow with fundamental marksmanship, and gun handling drills, then quickly moved on to combative marksmanship and movement. We finished off the first half of the day with a malfunction block. While this malfunction block was not as intense as the Carbine class ones (You guys know what I'm talking about) it did offer a great degree of difficulty trying to clear malfunctions and just operate guns that you are not familiar with. We broke for a quick lunch and started right in with CPS 2

With CPS 2, we started in with more complex drills, with Chris continuing to add more and more elements to each drill. We then worked on bilateral weapon operation, draw stroke techniques, concealed carry techniques and the my other favorite part of the class, reality based drills and working the barricades. The reality based drills were awesome. Chris got into character as a bad guy and we worked through many shoot/no-shoot scenarios. What impacted me the most was how much of this is mindset. That is why training is crucial, for the body and most importantly mind.

Overall, another great training opportunity with MDTS. I highly recommend to anyone with a handgun to take this class.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You think this course is good for someone who just got there first pistol and only shot about 100 rounds?
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You think this course is good for someone who just got there first pistol and only shot about 100 rounds?

YES!
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have a friend with a spanking new permit and with a few hundred rounds through his 1911 who will be taking CPS 1/2 this weekend at Otisco. I see it as getting off on the right foot before you ingrain any bad habits. However...

I would suggest if you are not comfortable with your pistol, as some novice shooters are not right off the bat, then maybe you should get a little more casual range time in with your pistol. This class is way beyond a basic NRA type class. If you aren't already comfortable with basic handling of your pistol, it may not be for you until you gain a little more confidence. Will it be intense? Oh yeah. Very much so-even for more veteran shooters. In fact, Chris has had many students take his same classes a number of times. This is in no small part due to the fact that he is continually improving and upgrading the content, and most students quickly realize how much work it takes to be a truly good shooter.

I have spent a couple range sessions with my friend to help prepare him for the class. What you will gain after a class like this as a new shooter is a significant jump over the bell curve to a higher skill level with your handgun. As a novice shooter, you can be sure that a good instructor will be giving you some extra attention than more veteran shooters may need. He will be making sure that your trigger finger is where it needs to be while you are safely manipulating your handgun, and that you maintain a high level of safety both to yourself and your fellow shooters. Shooting is actually a small part of good gun handling.

So to answer your question, it depends. How much shooting experience have you had outside of the 100 rounds with your new pistol? If none, you may be better served with a more basic class to start, or simply more "relaxed" range time to get comfortable with your gun. DO get some training before the bad habits start getting a toe-hold

Link Posted: 6/21/2010 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with both Patty and Sp10, there are many benifits to start training early. I would be comfortable handling your handgun before taking the class, that way there is no safety concerns.

I'm sure Chris would be more than willing to work with a new shooter, and would let you run the class at your own pace. Again, safety is number one concern.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#5]
"I would suggest if you are not comfortable with your pistol, as some novice shooters are not right off the bat, then maybe you should get a little more casual range time in with your pistol. This class is way beyond a basic NRA type class."

you should have a basic understanding of how your pistol shoots. 200-300 rds thru a new pistol in my eyes does not cut the mustard. IMHO 1000 rds is a more realistic number. Any bugs in the pistol or gear should be worked out prior. Though you will find out if your gear is up to snuff after one of MDTS's courses. Chris is aces when it comes to teaching. That being said, the better you are when you go, the better you will be when your done with the course.
Also, the more time that has to be spent with a beginner student is less time that is spent with the rest of the group.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 3:56:29 AM EDT
[#6]
The last is no doubt true, but you can't expect all students to be master class shooters when they show up.

And MDTS does offer private training classes for those who wish less distractions.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 7:48:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, you must have had an awesome photographer there. Great picture!

Glad that everyone could make it to New Paltz for this. I was happy to host and enjoyed assisting Chris with the class. Looking forward to hosting more events like this in the future.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#9]
It was a great day.

I wish we had more training ops like this in the Mid-Hudson area. Chris gave us our money's worth, and then some.

Look for his classes, and take them if you can.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Chris is one of the BEST trainers I've had the pleasure of taking a class with!

I would recommend his classes to both beginning shooters (Chris has a great  way of putting his students at ease, and is very patient) as well as more advanced shooters.

He exhibits professionalism without some of the "inflated egos" that are out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top