Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2010 2:48:21 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me of a good place to go shoot in or around Watertown NY. I did a search with no results and then on Google there was nothing. When I was stationed here before I used to go down by Washington street and shoot at a range and membership was like $5. I have not been down there yet to see if it is still there but I would imagine that it would be. Are there any recommendations from local shooters? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
We have 2 close by that I know of. There is one just outside Watertown, the Sackets Harbor sportsman club. Nothing special for rifle but their trap is amazing I guess. Then Brownville Sportsman Club is just outside of Brownville/Dexter area.  IM me if you need directions or someone to shoot with.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me of a good place to go shoot in or around Watertown NY. I did a search with no results and then on Google there was nothing. When I was stationed here before I used to go down by Washington street and shoot at a range and membership was like $5. I have not been down there yet to see if it is still there but I would imagine that it would be. Are there any recommendations from local shooters? Thanks.

You're talking about the Watertown Sportsmans Club, and its still there.  $5 membership for mil., and $10 non-mil., $15 family.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Watertown Sportsmens Club
Sackets Harbor Sportsmen
Brownville
New Bremen/Beaver River
Carthage
Lorraine
Henderson
Sno-Fun (Evans Mills/Trap & Pheasant Hunting)
Adams Center (Trap only)
By this time next year Ft. Drum will have a Club. In the interim: a couple guys from Range Control will open 24 or 25 for Soldiers to fire their weapons.
Redwood
Might be forgetting some others, but most all these places will let you join for under $20. a year and with that some have land you can hunt or fish on.

Where you live might make a difference where you want to shoot, never hurts to stop by different clubs to check out their ranges.

This time of year most every club is shooting Trap (open practice) on Wednesday evening, and Northern Tier Trap League on Thursday, never known any of the Clubs to turn anyone away.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#4]
+ 1 for Watertown Sportsmen Club. then entire 8 yrs I was active at drum I shot there when not in deployment
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:17:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I thank you all for your excellent replies. I will try the Watertown Sportsmans Club until Fort Drum starts theirs. I will also try range control to see if I can get on a range. Thanks again for all of your help. This is another reason I love the North country. The people are great. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 4:52:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Watertown Sportsmens Club
Sackets Harbor Sportsmen rifle pistol trap skeet
Brownville rifle pistol trap
New Bremen/Beaver River rifle pistol
Carthage dunno
Lorraine rifle pistol
Henderson
Adams Center (Trap only)
By this time next year Ft. Drum will have a Club. In the interim: a couple guys from Range Control will open 24 or 25 for Soldiers to fire their weapons.
Redwood rifle pistol sporting clays
Might be forgetting some others, but most all these places will let you join for under $20. a year and with that some have land you can hunt or fish on.

Where you live might make a difference where you want to shoot, never hurts to stop by different clubs to check out their ranges.

This time of year most every club is shooting Trap (open practice) on Wednesday evening, and Northern Tier Trap League on Thursday, never known any of the Clubs to turn anyone away.  

I presume you say Redwood for the Thousand Islands club?

fp1201's list is as complete as I kinow w/o leaving the county.  His knowledge is very good, he just never comes to shoot with us.

fp, wasn't the Fort totally overhauling the defunct post club and rec ranges?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 5:27:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watertown Sportsmens Club Trap, Skeet, separate Rifle and Pistol ranges, land to hunt on, and a stocked fish pond.
Sackets Harbor Sportsmen rifle pistol trap skeetSporting Clays
Brownville rifle pistol trap
New Bremen/Beaver River rifle pistolLONG RANGE
Carthage dunno Trap, Rifle & Pistol range, NICE picnic area and fishing access to the Black river.
Lorraine rifle pistolArchery (tower) my choice because it's almost always quiet
Henderson Trap, but occasionally has Turkey shoots using rifle or handgun.
Adams Center (Trap only)
Redwood rifle pistol sporting clays

I presume you say Redwood for the Thousand Islands club? Yes

fp1201's list is as complete as I know w/o leaving the county.  His knowledge is very good, he just never comes to shoot with us. I've got this thing about getting my ass handed to me  

fp, wasn't the Fort totally overhauling the defunct post club and rec ranges?
The plan is the construction of a $750,000 "European Style" Rod & Gun Club where their current Trap field is located (behind Outdoor Rec.) Ranges, riding trails for ATV's & Snowmobiles, Bar & Grill, etc.  Sales of arms and ammunition will continue to be an AAFES Service, but I'd expect some ammo be available for use there. Maybe this week I'll check the construction status.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh come on, most of us are just average shooters having fun.  

Heck I think I'm below my last year's average.  I'm shooting against myself.......and losing!
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 2:50:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you all for the information. I will be checking out the Watertown sportsmens club range today. Can you still buy the membership at the diner that used to be on the corner? Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 4:18:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Not sure about that but half the clubs in the area you can buy a membership at Van Tassels gun shop on 37.  

I buy my New Breman membership there and used to buy  Sackets and TI clubs there too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Bought a membership to the Watertown Sportsmen's Club from Van Tassels. I paid $10 which is fine with me for a year membership I asked if military was $5 but Mary told me they are all $10. Anyway no big deal ten dollars is very affordable. I am going to go there early tomorrow and finally fire my Stag model 2 and some other weapons that I have not been able to fire for three years since I was in Germany. It is good to be back in the US of A and enjoy freedoms that so many Americans take for granted. Now if only we could get the New York Bureaucrats to loosen the noose around NY gun owners a bit.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad you found a place to shoot.  I think Sackets was also doing the half price for military personnel.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top