Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2009 7:47:39 PM EDT
From among those who live outside NYC, how many Empire State residents actually CCW on a regular basis?

1 percent?
5 percent?
10 percent?

I know it depends on what county you are in, in terms of permit restrictions, but as a whole, what percentage of the population is carrying at any given time at places like Wal-Mart or the mall.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I am one of them, that's for sure. Been carrying a G19 IWB for a long time now.

But if I had to guess...I would say less than 10% of people in NY state even own a gun...and most of them are hunters with just long guns.

The ones with handgun permits probably don't carry very often, or have a BS restricted permit.

So yeah...I would say less than 1% of NYers carry.

FYI...I am pulling these numbers out of my ass.

ETA: I wasn't thinking about LEO...just us "regular" people.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, I am one of them, that's for sure. Been carrying a G19 IWB for a long time now.

But if I had to guess...I would say less than 10% of people in NY state even own a gun...and most of them are hunters with just long guns.

The ones with handgun permits probably don't carry very often, or have a BS restricted permit.

+1 for G19...well my kydex holster actually recently broke so...

lately its been Sig 239 9mm or USP Compact 9mm
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 for G19...well my kydex holster actually recently broke so...

lately its been Sig 239 9mm or USP Compact 9mm

yup, me too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 11:55:41 PM EDT
[#5]
If you include illegal carry in NYC...probly around 20%....
In Nassau...probly .03% have permits (~50,000) I dunno if that is a fair guess...I'd say about 15,000 can carry every day within their restrictions (mostly retired LEO) and maybe 400 of them actually do.... so, say .0002%

for off duty, active LEO...maybe add 1000 to that number for NYC and Nassau etc.
then add about 100 for those with restrictions that carry anyway...
comes out to ~.001%
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 2:57:12 AM EDT
[#6]
What I find disheartening is that last weekend I carried my Sig 229 to the city line, locked it in a box, drove across the bronx, New Jersey and when I got to PA I was able to CCW for the rest of the weekend. I have better rights as a non resident in PA than I do in my own state that I pay gobs and gobs of taxes in.  The only time I took it off was on the drive back home. Sadly, it's back in the safe.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:43:28 AM EDT
[#7]
this is my ccw face,  
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What I find disheartening is that last weekend I carried my Sig 229 to the city line, locked it in a box, drove across the bronx, New Jersey and when I got to PA I was able to CCW for the rest of the weekend. I have better rights as a non resident in PA than I do in my own state that I pay gobs and gobs of taxes in.  The only time I took it off was on the drive back home. Sadly, it's back in the safe.

+1. I hear that! It's so damn annoying driving NYC n NJ, then carry how you wish in other states...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 here, a Para Warthog 45acp, Bullard leather.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I do, but I guess I count for law enforcement.  I did carry before I got my badge, however.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:44:31 AM EDT
[#11]
+1 99.99% of the time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#12]
still waiting for the permission to do so..   ill get back to you  

btw...  when i get the permission it will be on restriction anyway..    awesome
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I would say 75% of the people I know have a full carry permit.
Of that 75% @ 1/2 of the carry "full time".
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I know a few people that have had their permit for years,and have yet to buy a handgun,I know a few others that have their unrestricted permit for years,but still do not own a handgun suitible for CC,I know others that buy all the shit,carry for a while,then get lazy and never carry.

Me,I have been carrying almost every waking moment since 1989.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Can't speak for upstate, but down here legal ccw has to be WELL below 1%.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
.000000001% I know NO ONE outside of people I know from arfkom who carries all the time and I know a lot of people who have full carry permits, I don't even know any cops who carry off duty.

The few times I have revealed I was carrying, like entering the police station to meet with a prisoner, I have been usually been met with surprise. Even people who don't mind guns are stumped, like you told them you rode a unicycle every you go after you get home from work.

haha. so true. good one.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
.000000001% I know NO ONE outside of people I know from arfkom who carries all the time and I know a lot of people who have full carry permits, I don't even know any cops who carry off duty.

The few times I have revealed I was carrying, like entering the police station to meet with a prisoner, I have been usually been met with surprise. Even people who don't mind guns are stumped, like you told them you rode a unicycle every you go after you get home from work.

This, I always get the when it comes out that I carry from other gun folks.  Alot of people look at pistols as a sport thing not a defense thing.  Even guys I know that shoot 3 guns feel the same way.  Its kinda wierd.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:13:18 AM EDT
[#19]
how about  "is that loaded?"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top