Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2009 4:31:01 AM EDT
I am in rochester for a few days for work and was wondering if there was anything  to do during the day that doesn't cost alot of money. Any fun shops worth checking out? wheres  a good bar near the airport?
If i think of any other questions ill post them. thanks

fergie
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:23:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am in rochester for a few days for work and was wondering if there was anything  to do during the day that doesn't cost alot of money. Any fun shops worth checking out? wheres  a good bar near the airport?

fergie

Be sure to take a nice night time stroll in the 19th Ward...also Avenue D is a nice place to check out

I keed I keed don't go to the above areas...the sun setting over the crack houses is a sight to see though.

I don't really know of the bars in the area, and unfortunately there aren't many fun shops. Victor Pro Gun Services is a little shop in the area. http://www.progunservices.com/ Gander Mountin in Henrietta can have some reasonable prices on used pistols, but you'll have to know exactly what you want if you plan to buy because they won't let you touch a gun without a NYS permit.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I would check out the mall and plazas in henrietta.

On Scottsville rd there is a place called the Landing Strip that is supposed to be a hangout for pilots and flight attendants that get held over for a night.

In henrietta there is Mcgregors bar and Woodys 2 on west henrietta rd

A new place that has some cool stuff is Park Place on jefferson rd.  Its near the RIT campus.  In henrietta too.

A night checking out Charlotte beach/pier(online search: Port of Rochester) can be fun too...lots of bars and food to choose from.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

fergie

Be sure to take a nice night time stroll in the 19th Ward...also Avenue D is a nice place to check out

I keed I keed don't go to the above areas...the sun setting over the crack houses is a sight to see though.

I think we rolled thru there last nite looking for something open at 3am to eat  thanks for the replys so they won't let you even touch a pistol with out a permit?????

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Other options in the city, only a 5-10 minute ride from the airport:

East Ave and Alexander; lots of bars within a block or 2, pretty safe too.  There should be some people there even on a Tuesday night.  Decent places to eat; The Anchor Bar just opened ( the place from Buffalo the started the buffalo wing)

Artsy Fartsy: Park Ave and the shops on it.

Shooting: pistol really out of the question, rifle would be tough too; no rental ranges that I know of.  

What do you want to do?

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#5]
just to kill time outside of the hotel room
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#6]
The zoo is close by and cost about $8 bucks to get in.
Rochester Museum and Science center can be interesting depending on what the main exhibit is. There's a planetarium around here somewhere too.
Make sure you go to Dinosaur BBQ for lunch/dinner at least once.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Make sure you go to Dinosaur BBQ for lunch/dinner at least once.

+1000
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're out again at 3AM looking for food; and want a Rochester original food:  from the airport,  take 390N exit at Lyell Ave (it'll be just north of 490 on and off ramps) turn Left at the light.  Go over the bridge (390), get in the right lane, and look for Steven T's hots (iirc    if you see a Wegmans on your left you went a little too far)    

They sell the infamous garbage plate; although not the original Nick Tahou's it's still in the family.  A couple cheeseburgers (or hots, or sausage)over a couple of sides.  I usually get french fries and mac salad; if it's your first plate get everything on it.  At the time you eat it, it will seem like the best food on Earth, if you have a couple of pops in ya.

(PS: I hope you're working somewhere near a shitter tomorrow if you get a plate)
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:04:31 AM EDT
[#9]
we might try that tommorrow morning, We are working in Greece.

Our company got a CLC cards for all the crews  and the closest hotel that took it was by the Airport. I miss my damn reward points i wish they would throw these things in the garbage.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#10]
You could head south to Leroy and check out the origin of Jell-O. As far as I know, the original factory is still there.

If you are up for a day/half day trip, Letchworth State Park in Livingston/Wyoming counties is quite a sight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top