Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 9:14:57 AM EDT
I've been delayed on the last 5 purchases?? anybody else having issues? I'm currently waiting for a call to proceed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:21:18 AM EDT
[#1]
My dealer has stated in his experience there have been a greater number of delays from NICS.  From the explanation he gave, the system has been bogged down with check requests to the point where pretty much all checks are now delayed by default if the check doesn't clear in the first few seconds.  It's either because the system is dated and needs upgrades, or because gun sales and therefore background checks are at unprecidented high levels.  Or maybe a combination of the two.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#2]
do you put your Social Security # on the 4473? although, I dont like to and its not required, the only time I've been delayed was the time I didn't put my Social down..
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
do you put your Social Security # on the 4473? although, I dont like to and its not required, the only time I've been delayed was the time I didn't put my Social down..

as much as I hate to, I do put my SS# on the form; my dealer called in mine and another at the same time, he left with his purchase and I just left.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#4]
It is NICS (National Instant Check System)

There is something in your background, or something in the background of someone with a similar DOB or SS#. I know someone who goes pending every time for an arrest 30+ years ago. He always gets approved hours later.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, if you're in the NCIC, you're not getting your purchase, no matter how long you wait  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is NICS (National Instant Check System)

There is something in your background, or something in the background of someone with a similar DOB or SS#. I know someone who goes pending every time for an arrest 30+ years ago. He always gets approved hours later.

my mistake with the initials, I have been purchasing firearms for 30 years; I've had a concealed carry permit for 25, until this year; I've never had an issue. all 5 of the delays have come this calender year.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I made a transfer going on two weeks ago, went through in 25 seconds. It did however take them a half an hour to answer
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I made a purchase last week at about 1300, went through immediately. I use my SS# but also have a fairly unique last name. A customer next to me admitted to the counter guy that he made a straw purchase the previous week! The guy said he was going to call it in. I hope with my encourament he did.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, Call and get a UPIN.  That way they can locate you in the system easier.  I have seen a lot of delays recently ( I sell firearms for Dick's Sporting Goods).  I was just talking to my brother (Thirsty) about this today.  I have had 2-3 denials this month about about 15 delays between all of us firearms salesmen.  NICS has been bogged with calls and there are a lot of new call center people.  The reason I know this is because I am seeing a lot of people with the brady ID starting with "T" rather than "w" or the other one (cannot recall).
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a lower transferred to me a week or two ago.

The NCIC call went through quick as usual.  I've never had a delay.  FWIW, I do always put my SS# down.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 3:02:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP, Call and get a UPIN.  That way they can locate you in the system easier.  I have seen a lot of delays recently ( I sell firearms for Dick's Sporting Goods).  I was just talking to my brother (Thirsty) about this today.  I have had 2-3 denials this month about about 15 delays between all of us firearms salesmen.  NICS has been bogged with calls and there are a lot of new call center people.  The reason I know this is because I am seeing a lot of people with the brady ID starting with "T" rather than "w" or the other one (cannot recall).

Call what number and get a UPIN?
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 3:07:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Worth a glance

http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/nics_delay.pdf
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 7:05:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your dealer should have a number you can call.  I will check at work today to see if we have a phone number in our NCICs binder.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your dealer should have a number you can call.  I will check at work today to see if we have a phone number in our NCICs binder.

Its called the VOLUNTARY APPEAL FILE (VAF).   You have to submit an application and get approved for it.  It was designed for those who may have had their identity stolen or has the same name or similar name with someone who is prohibited.  Once you are accepted into the VAF you are issued a UPIN(unique personal identification number) and allowed to produce documents to be put in the file such as Certificates of Relieve of Civilian Disabilities or Good Conduct that prove you are who you say you are and not a prohibited person.

I always use both my SS and the UPIN and instruct the FFL they HAVE TOO give NICS both SS# and UPIN.  When you use the UPIN its more of a pain for the FFL as the call takes longer they get transfered around but you never or very rarely get delays.

Here is a PDF of the application you can print and send in:

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/vafbrocheng.pdf

PS its:  National Instant Criminal
Background Check System (NICS)
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks. Never been delayed, but am always transferred to a 2nd person taking an extra 3 minutes. Figure one of these days, I am going to find something I don't really need at a gun show, get delayed and have to drive an extra 300 miles the next weekend to pick it up. This would give some peace of mind.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:15:23 AM EDT
[#16]
my dealer called back and got a "PROCEED", just don't know why all of a sudden the delays. couldn't be the letters / calls to my congresscritter / senators (tinfoil)??
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
my dealer called back and got a "PROCEED", just don't know why all of a sudden the delays. couldn't be the letters / calls to my congresscritter / senators (tinfoil)??

No they usually send black sedans for that... :D
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Odd, I just went on my lunch break and it took 2 minutes or less to be approved for a hand gun.  I use my SS#, and I also have an FFL 03, maybe that helps in the process.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Call State Police and ask.   (I'll assume SP handles the NICS check... they do in VA)

I've had this problem with my transfers and purchases.  I put down my SSN, I have a 03FFL and even use my VA CHP as secondary ID.  Yet I always get Delayed status.

I finally called VA SP on Tuesday and asked the Firearms Div supervisor if she could tell me why this was happening.

Turns out someone else has my first name, last name and a similar date of birth... and a felony record.  So despite providing the other measures to distinguish me from him (SSN, 03FFL, CHP, different middle name)... I'm pretty much guaranteed to always get Delayed status.
At least I know now, to fill out the paperwork and go for a drive somewhere while waiting for the all-clear.

Make a call.  At the very least, it will stop you from wondering why.

I'll be picking up two revolvers on Saturday... already planning out how to spend the 2-3 hours in-between handing over my 4473 and actually receiving them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#20]
In NYS the FEDS handle all the NICS checks.  FFLs call the FED NICS directly.

Some states do handle the NICS check for the FEDS.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#21]
If you are consistently getting delays ask the FFL for the NICS transaction number (starts with NTN I think) and contact the FED NICS division.  If it is a case with a name similar with a felon it might be worth your time to sign up for VAF.  If the delay doesn't bother you as long as you know why then no big deal.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Call State Police and ask.   (I'll assume SP handles the NICS check... they do in VA)

The vast majority of states including NY use the FBI as the point if contact for all NICS checks. VA is one of the few states that initiate the NICS check for FFL transfers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top