Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2009 2:18:04 PM EDT
http://www.gouverneurtimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3211:aubertine-guns-important-to-upstate-ny&catid=57:commentary&Itemid=154

Aubertine: Guns Important to Upstate NY

Written by Sen. Darrel J. Aubertine  

Monday, 04 May 2009 06:52

Last week, the Assembly passed a series of anti-gun bills which many of my colleagues in that house and even some in the Senate believe will reduce gun violence. However, this legislation goes too far and would have little, if any, effect on gun violence. Rather these bills would just put new and onerous restrictions on law abiding gun owners and sportsmen.

I voted against these bills when I served in the Assembly and I continue to oppose them. I’m a strong believer in second-amendment rights, as both a gun owner and a sportsman. We can never lose sight of the fact that in Upstate, especially here in Central and Northern New York, guns are part of our way of life.

We can all agree that gun violence and crimes involving guns damage our society. However, placing new and burdensome restrictions on law abiding citizens will not reduce crime. We need tough sentences for offenders, not new restrictions or back door taxes on those of us who obey the laws.

Registered gun owners are generally not joining gangs and gang members typically do not register their guns or follow the existing laws in the first place.

In the Senate, I’m working to help my colleagues recognize the importance of protecting the rights of sportsmen and all gun owners. I have also reached out to sportsmen and gun-rights advocates to include them. I want to make sure that if a case can be made for legislation to protect our communities, we make sure this legislation is sensible and effective, not an infringement on the rights of our many responsible gun owners.

With that said, it is worth noting that the spring turkey hunting season runs throughout this month. I want to wish everyone a safe and successful season. It’s a sport that is growing in popularity here in Central and Northern New York. It’s also a sport that involves a lot of youth hunters, getting up early to enjoy the hunt.

I have also heard a number of positive reports on fishing throughout the region’s many rivers and lakes in Oswego, Jefferson and St. Lawrence counties this year. With the nice spring weather, a lot of people are getting out on the water with their families to enjoy the sunshine and some spring time fishing. This region has so much to offer for the outdoor enthusiast, whether you enjoy fishing, hunting, hiking, boating, or cycling.

Responsible management of our resources provides us with an asset both for all of us who live here to enjoy and as an attraction for tourists. It is important that we as New Yorkers continue to be good stewards of our environment.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Good man.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I told you so.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:36:59 AM EDT
[#3]
we'll see what happens when the time comes to actually vote and the pressure comes from his corrupted party
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:00:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Good of him, for sure, but I'd like to see them take it the real step forward and come right out and say that the Assembly folks don't have the right to tell us what we can and can't own, what we should or shouldn't be "allowed" to have or do, and also this notion of gun control affecting crime is 100% garbage and they know better.  If they actually believe it, they don't deserve their seat because they're ignorant.  

Why is it so hard for our side to come right out and say that gun laws are a lie?  Gun control is not an alternate theory on how best to make society safer, it is a shameless, inexcusable, pathological lie.  What is so hard to say?  Why has no one the balls to say that publicly EVERY TIME the "it's for the children" crap is spewed?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#6]
What is a 'registered gun owner'?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well that's a damn good question;
I suppose somewhere there's a list with my name on it, does that make me a registered gun owner?
Are they referring to gun owners registered to vote?
Do they  think that all the owner in the State are "Registered" like those in NYC?
Holders of handgun licensee's are registered, is that the group being referenced?
Is the term just a Freudian slip of what they  want?  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A resident of NYC or the states of Illinois and New Jersey.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's a damn good question;
I suppose somewhere there's a list with my name on it, does that make me a registered gun owner?
Are they referring to gun owners registered to vote?
Do they  think that all the owner in the State are "Registered" like those in NYC?
Holders of handgun licensee's are registered, is that the group being referenced?
Is the term just a Freudian slip of what they  want?  

Part of me thinks they mean to say that. You hear it on the MSM all the time about 'registered guns' or registered gun owners'. I am sure we've all had friends who don't own guns but are thinking about buying one ask about how they go about registerering their gun. People are blown away when they find out that, indeed, there is no registration process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top