Are preban uzi carbines legal in ny?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
With a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
With a 16" barrel.

That's what I thought. So I'd still be good to go with the collapsible stock, correct?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
With a 16" barrel.

That's what I thought. So I'd still be good to go with the collapsible stock, correct?

its PRE BAN.... collapsible stock, bayo lug, and any other evil feature.......YES!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
With that 16" bbl it looks like hell but they shoot well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
With that 16" bbl it looks like hell but they shoot well.

I hate the idea of a 16" barrel on an uzi but maybe, hopefully, if I escape from NY to a pro-gun state I could SBR it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I just seen one for sale, but it also came with a "display barrel".
Think it was a pluged pistol barrel.
Would be a nice extra to have on hand for "show and tell".
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]
i was looking for one earlier this month.. can we buy one with a barrel shorter than 16" and count it as a handgun?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i was looking for one earlier this month.. can we buy one with a barrel shorter than 16" and count it as a handgun?

Maybe with no stock, and if it's under the required weight limit.

Then again, I don't have my permit, so I really don't know.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

if it's preban, the weight limit doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if it's preban, the weight limit doesn't matter.

I wasn't quoting the OP, and I didn't know if peteinnewyork's find was pre-ban as well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There are preban Uzi handguns out there, however you can't take a carbine and remove the stock and count it as a pistol.  If the receiver was originally classified as a rifle, it can't be changed to a pistol.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are preban Uzi handguns out there, however you can't take a carbine and remove the stock and count it as a pistol.  If the receiver was originally classified as a rifle, it can't be changed to a pistol.

as long as it CAN accept a buttstock and meets the OAL length requirement as well as the 16inch barrel requirement, it should be fine without a buttstock.

AKs are fine without buttstocks by like 1/2  /  3/4 of an inch, depends on model.   If I recall.   (again as long as the tang is intact and it can ACCEPT a buttstock).
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

as long as it CAN accept a buttstock and meets the OAL length requirement as well as the 16inch barrel requirement, it should be fine without a buttstock.

AKs are fine without buttstocks by like 1/2  /  3/4 of an inch, depends on model.   If I recall.   (again as long as the tang is intact and it can ACCEPT a buttstock).

Right, but he was asking about using a barrel length shorter than 16" and turning what was already classified as a rifle receiver into a pistol.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, but he was asking about using a barrel length shorter than 16" and turning what was already classified as a rifle receiver into a pistol.

just adding
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I hada preban Uzi that I sold to a guy somewere else in NYS. I called a FFL near him to make sure it was ok locally and was told NO. That it was considered a PISTOL because it accepted PISTOL magazines and had a folding stock. So I called another FFL and we had a good laugh. You are good to go. Now im trying to find another UZI to buy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top