Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2009 9:18:03 PM EDT
Saw this in another thread:

I'm on long island. How do the laws apply to M1As like that here? Not including the can. I wouldn't know how to determine if an M1A is preban or not since the rifle/receiver is  all one piece.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Mag is above 10rounds, so has to be pre-ban mag (pre-1994).
(A 10 round mag isn't too much of a limition when you shooting .308 tho )

The rifle has detachable mag, so can only have 1 evil feature and its got at least 2...(unless it was an AW before 1994 i.e. pre-ban rifle)
- Stock is collapsible
- Pistol grip
You could get it with just the pistol grip though until the forces of darkness get their way with NY AWB II.  IMO collapsible stocks are only useful for storage, sure if you wear a ballistic vest with trauma plates underneath they can come in handy, oh and they look cool...
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that a can?  If so, no go on that item.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Besides the can as long as the receiver and magazine were preban you would be good to go.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Besides the can as long as the receiver and magazine were preban you would be good to go.

It has a collapsing stock too though...no dice
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:31:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why wouldn't that be okay on a preban receiver?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:34:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why wouldn't that be okay on a preban receiver?

Said you didn't know how to determine if it was...and if you don't know...safe answer is always NO
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:29:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wouldn't know how to determine if an M1A is preban or not since the rifle/receiver is  all one piece.

Huh?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:30:30 AM EDT
[#8]
HAHAHA IN NY... HAHHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Perfectly legal if the receiver was made prior to the 94 ban. aside from the Can and what looks like a happy switch. The mags would be legal as well if they are made prior to 94.

Going about a build like that you would first find a M1A with a serial number somewhere below 82XXX, if you want to use a Springfield armory receiver. NYS considers the receiver as the firearm and therefor was legally possessed priorto the 94 ban, just like a lower receiver of a AR15.  That rifle is nothing more than taking a barreled receiver from a regular M1A and dropping it into the Sage M14 EBR stock. Acts like a awesome bedding job, increased accuracy but also weight.

This would be no different than everyone else building a tacticool AR15 with lights, rails, FVG, flattop uppers, new cool flash suppressors, new collapasible stocks, from a standard Colt Sporter which had none of those options. Im not saying a FVG or rails ect are evil, just not how it came.

There isn't a law in NYS that states you cannot build a preban rifle to what you want it to be, unless it violates NFA laws.

disclaimer, I am not a lawyer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#10]
What is a "happy switch" and how do I get one?  
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#11]
You move to PA, find a registered receiver, pay 14k dollars, pay the 200 dollar tax stamp on a ATF Form 4. Wait for it to come back approved and go pick up your new machine gun.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What is a "happy switch" and how do I get one?  

Hawk's dummy switch is a "happy" switch but nothing inside to connect it up to. My uncle has one on his M1A but noway to make it "go fast".

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stock would not matter if the reciever was preban.  You can find out if the receiver is preban with a little effort and some questions asked right here in the M14 forum area.  As for the happy switch chances are it is a fake switch kit.  Pretty easy to get and install.  Me personally i don't have one on my M14 because it is a cosmetic piece that would cause more hassle than it is worth.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stock would not matter if the reciever was preban.  You can find out if the receiver is preban with a little effort and some questions asked right here in the M14 forum area.  As for the happy switch chances are it is a fake switch kit.  Pretty easy to get and install.  Me personally i don't have one on my M14 because it is a cosmetic piece that would cause more hassle than it is worth.

He was unsure of the pre-post status
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:07:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Preban M1As are hella expensive nowadays. I hope the price gouging dies down soon once I get money saved up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perfectly legal if the receiver was made prior to the 94 ban. aside from the Can and what looks like a happy switch. The mags would be legal as well if they are made prior to 94.

Going about a build like that you would first find a M1A with a serial number somewhere below 82XXX, if you want to use a Springfield armory receiver. NYS considers the receiver as the firearm and therefor was legally possessed priorto the 94 ban, just like a lower receiver of a AR15.  That rifle is nothing more than taking a barreled receiver from a regular M1A and dropping it into the Sage M14 EBR stock. Acts like a awesome bedding job, increased accuracy but also weight.

This would be no different than everyone else building a tacticool AR15 with lights, rails, FVG, flattop uppers, new cool flash suppressors, new collapasible stocks, from a standard Colt Sporter which had none of those options. Im not saying a FVG or rails ect are evil, just not how it came.

There isn't a law in NYS that states you cannot build a preban rifle to what you want it to be, unless it violates NFA laws.

disclaimer, I am not a lawyer.

You are way off.  My SA M1A is in the 83XXX range and it left Springfield Armory on 10/13/83.

Are you sure about that? My hangtag on my M1A states it has a date of 4-9-94 and the serial number is  077XXX

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#18]
^ 5 digits Vs. 6 digits.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was unsure of the pre-post status

If you would read the OP you would see that he is not trying to decipher the specific status of the pictured firearm just stating that he was unsure as to how he would determine a M1A was a preban.  Thus the reason why I told him as long as he was able to ensure it was a preban rifle and a preban magazine he would be good to put it in a Sage set up or some other collapsible stock.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top