Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2008 2:09:04 PM EDT
So, I just got my full carry permit and a judge signed off on it before I could pick it up.

Now I want to purchase my first pistol and I have to apply for a coupon that a judge must sign off on so I can give the coupon to my vendor and take possession of my new pistol.

Currently, the coupon processing is 4-6 weeks...

what is the point of having a judge sign off on my permit so I can legally own/handle/shoot a pistol, but then he has to AGAIN sign off on the coupon so I can actually get my new pistol....

why do they do this and who is the best elected official to send a letter to?  Is it really necessary to make me wait another month?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
... why do they do this ...?

For the same reason that here in the PRNJ, you go through background check, prints etc when you apply for pistol purchase permits then when you go to your FFL to buy them, you still have to pass a minimum$15 NICS check.

.Gov really doesn't want you to have those handguns, but they're somewhat limited in the roadblocks they can legally throw in your path. The more hoops they make you jump through, they hope maybe someone will give up and not buy that evil hardware.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Now that we have the Heller Supreme Court Decision I hope the NRA goes after this crap on constitutional grounds.  Think about it, free speech based on the first Ammendment can be curtailed but only under very, very narrow circumstances.  You can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater or have a protest march down Broadway doing rush hour and then claim that your rights are being violated when you get arrested.  In legalese it is called "strict scrutiny" which is to say that the restriction on the right to free speech has to be very narrowly tailored or it doesn't pass constitutional muster (not mustard which is a condiment; on the other hand they do say law making is a lot like sausage making so...)

I want the same level of "strict scrutiny" applied to firearm restrictions across the board once and for all.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
pass constitutional mustard.

you mean muster?

The point is to prevent you from buying firearms.  It has stopped me.  In Nassau you have to buy a purchase document ($10) that is good for the year in which it was issued.  Then within 10 days of the purchase you have to go have them inspect the gun.  If you can't get to them within 10 days you can't buy the gun, if you don't have a purchase document on you and you are out of your home county, you are SOL...I guess you could have it shipped to your home FFL...anyway, if you can get more than one of these documents, do it, so you have one for next time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]
when you're done, could you pass the constitutional mustard, it tastes better on my declaration sandwich.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

what is the point of having a judge sign off on my permit so I can legally own/handle/shoot a pistol, but then he has to AGAIN sign off on the coupon so I can actually get my new pistol....

why do they do this and who is the best elected official to send a letter to?  Is it really necessary to make me wait another month?

In my county the wait for a coupon is about a week. The judges justify the review for the coupon by saying that they've found permit holders who have disqualifying convictions. i don't see how thats possible, given that the first thing the judges do upon a disqualifying conviction is to yank your permit.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 5:27:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm in Dutchess Co., NY

Who would be the best person elected official to send a letter to?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:17:08 AM EDT
[#8]
In Erie, I by the gun, take the receipt to the pistol permit office, then they put it on my permit and give me the coupon to take back to where I bought the gun, then pick up my pistol. I have done all that in under an hour before.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:23:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
pass constitutional mustard.

you mean muster?

The point is to prevent you from buying firearms.  It has stopped me.  In Nassau you have to buy a purchase document ($10) that is good for the year in which it was issued.  Then within 10 days of the purchase you have to go have them inspect the gun.  If you can't get to them within 10 days you can't buy the gun, if you don't have a purchase document on you and you are out of your home county, you are SOL...I guess you could have it shipped to your home FFL...anyway, if you can get more than one of these documents, do it, so you have one for next time.

That's what happens when you are typing half asleep and slightly HUNGRY.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#10]
In Dutchess county your first purchase coupon is signed and waiting for you.

When you go to the gun shop and pick out your gun, you will be given a receipt.  take that receipt back to the sheriff's office and they will give you your purchase coupon then and there.  take your coupon back to the gun shop and pick up your gun.  if you time it right you can be done in one day.  the procedure for subsequent guns is a little different.  For those purchases you will need to wait about a week for the Judge to sign off on new purchase coupons
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In Erie, I by the gun, take the receipt to the pistol permit office, then they put it on my permit and give me the coupon to take back to where I bought the gun, then pick up my pistol. I have done all that in under an hour before.

+1 for the one gun I've bought since transfering my permit to Erie. the longest part was the train ride downtown and waiting for the 3 people in front of me in line to be done. Once I was waited on it was like 10 minutes

Same thing in Chautauqua, except there normally wasn't a line

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Mmmmm... mustard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top