Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2008 6:47:35 AM EDT

DRUNKEN DRIVING, 2:33 a.m. Oct. 9: Michael T. Myers II, 20, of Philadelphia was stopped on Route 179 by Sgt. Robert Brown on failure to keep right, police said. Myers was then arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated, as well as having an open alcoholic beverage in a motor vehicle, failure to keep right and obstructing passage of another vehicle, police said. Myers was in possession of a wooden baseball bat he said he was using for protection, police said. He was charged with unlawful possession of a weapon for having it, police said. Myers was later released to a friend.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Now you need a CCW for a baseball bat
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#2]
What a wretched law.  However, it does apply here.  The salient point is that the suspect verbally identified the bat as a weapon.  Don't talk to cops!
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds familiar.....When I was 21 I got arrested because some clowns were fighting at a party, I decided to leave, As I was leaving I got a felony type stop, pulled out at gunpoint, slammed, frisked, all that fun stuff. I had a knife in my glove box, the cop asked me what it was for, I'd told him it was in there from a recent radio install I did on the car, I used it for splicing wires. Truth.

I was arrested for having a knife for unlawful purposes, my public pretender tried to convince me to plead guilty and do 6mo community service. I explained to the judge that I didn't want the PD to rep me and I  wanted to represent myself, he found that mildy ammusing and basically told me to give it my best shot. I explained the situation to him and the charges were dropped, I still had to pay a court fee, when they were told they had to give my knife back, they said it was "lost". I have an arrest record, and because of that bullshit I got taken out of the eligibility pool for LEA. Oh but there's a bright side! I could pay an attny to have it taken off! Greaaaaat. At the age I am now, I just don't even care anymore...but this story kinda peeled the scab off a little bit.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Not sure if you're directing that towards me or the OP, my story happened in NJ
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I have seen a boot used as a weapon. Does that mean we are all in danger of being busted for weapons possesion because we are wearing boots.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Yup, better wear those birkenstocks in any weather!
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Just keep a baseball and glove in the car along with the bat.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have an arrest record, and because of that bullshit I got taken out of the eligibility pool for LEA. Oh but there's a bright side! I could pay an attny to have it taken off! Greaaaaat. At the age I am now, I just don't even care anymore...but this story kinda peeled the scab off a little bit.

You shroud care and you don't need an attorney to expunge your arrest record in NJ. The process is explained below and looks easy enough to me.

If you save the .pdf file and download/install the free version of PDF-XChange Viewer  you can key in all the required info, save and print the forms out.

NJ - HOW TO EXPUNGE YOUR CRIMINAL RECORD

PDF-XChange Viewer
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Its still kind of hard to explain why their is a 16-penny nail driven through the sweet spot though
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Better yet drive on the right side of of the road and within your own lane, don't obstruct  vehicles attempting to pass you, don't have an open alcoholic beverage in the vehicle, don't drive while intoxicated, and most importantly don't tell the arresting officer you carry a baseball bat in your vehicle for protection.

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better yet drive on the right side of of the road and within your own lane, don't obstruct  vehicles attempting to pass you, don't have an open alcoholic beverage in the vehicle, don't drive while intoxicated, and most importantly don't tell the arresting officer you carry a baseball bat in your vehicle for protection.

That works too!
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its still kind of hard to explain why their is a 16-penny nail driven through the sweet spot though

In that case, the guy was just stupid.  That will look like a weapon to most people and when you say "I had this in the car for protection." it states your intent to use it as a weapon, I guess. Should have just left it and said nothing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You have to admit that holding the beer in the glove would be pretty funny....

And at the same time thinking the cop was an ump and telling him he needs glasses and  his mother wears combat boots.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have an arrest record, and because of that bullshit I got taken out of the eligibility pool for LEA. Oh but there's a bright side! I could pay an attny to have it taken off! Greaaaaat. At the age I am now, I just don't even care anymore...but this story kinda peeled the scab off a little bit.

You shroud care and you don't need an attorney to expunge your arrest record in NJ. The process is explained below and looks easy enough to me.

If you save the .pdf file and download/install the free version of PDF-XChange Viewer  you can key in all the required info, save and print the forms out.

NJ - HOW TO EXPUNGE YOUR CRIMINAL RECORD

PDF-XChange Viewer

Thanks for the link
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#20]
The splinters can kill you.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Is that a story from jersey?

Yeah.

Sorry. Should have clarified.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top