Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 1:01:35 PM EDT
Are federal efmj's and corbon pow'r ball kosher over there?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Are federal efmj's and corbon pow'r ball kosher over there?

I'm not the AG, but I think they are OK.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The more important question is what your intended usage might be.

As an example, it is perfectly legal to purchase hollow point ammunition, take it home, possess it on your own property, take it back to the range and shoot it up at the range.

If one should be unfortunate enough to be forced to defend themselves at home, it is ok to use appropriate self-defense hollow point ammunition.

On the flip side, if one is illegally carrying a gun in NJ, having hollow point ammunition will simply add to the existing charges of unlicensed carry.  Driving around town will hollow point ammunition in the car (not directly between home, range or retail purchase) would also be a violation.

So the question is, what do you plan to do in NJ that you think would be legal with FMJ or EFMJ but not with hollow points?

Perhaps you are out of state LEO and planning to carry in NJ?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I just ask because I spoke to a guy who, through whatever work he does, was able to get a permit to carry for NJ.  When the subject of hollow points came up, he didn't think pow'rball was legal to use in pistols there.  I told him I was pretty sure pow'rball and the efmj's got around the hollow point law crap.  

Just wanted to make sure I didn't give him bad advice is all.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on how the AG defines "dum-dum" as that term is used in the legislation.

EFMJ's have the appearance of straight up FMJ's to the casual observer.

f.Dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets. (1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet,

(2) a. Nothing in subsection f. (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land, nor shall subsection f. (1) be construed to prevent any licensed retail or wholesale firearms dealer from possessing such ammunition at its licensed premises, provided that the seller of any such ammunition shall maintain a record of the name, age and place of residence of any purchaser who is not a licensed dealer, together with the date of sale and quantity of ammunition sold.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#5]
i also believe there is another part in there about " any ammo that expands"
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:23:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Even before HR-218 Federal EFMJ was considered the Unnoficial "Official" Retired Officer carry round, since they aren't exempt from the Hollowpoint ban. Pow-r-ball  im not so sure about, but the EFMJ's are GTG
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#7]

i also believe there is another part in there about " any ammo that expands"

I'm pretty sure there isn't.  A search through the online statutes produced zero hits for "expand" and "ammunition", nor "expansion" and "ammunition".  The term "expand" appears nowhere in all of 2C:39.  The only appearance of the word "expand" in the NJAC, Title 13 Chapter 54 refers to the State Police expanding the hours of operation for NICS.

Let's not go inventing additional laws...  we have enough real ones to deal with already.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Powerball is the recommended round for retired LEOs in NJ. JHPs are the required round for on or offduty carry. It seems ridiculus to  not to carry JHP, as it is the more responsible round to limit over penetration and co lateral damage. I can't even carry a mag of FMJ if I need the penetration?

And as to:

Depends on how the AG defines "dum-dum" as that term is used in the legislation.

seems this should apply to NJ elected officials?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top