Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2008 4:29:10 PM EDT
I will be spending the weekend in Philly with the wife and kids (7 & 4).  We plan to take in the sites in Center City.  Promised the kids they could walk around the city at night (Rittenhouse Square) and experience the city at night.  With the recent number of high profile shootings in Center City, I would like to have my G19 (I have a FL CCW).  Normally I have no problem carrying when in the city, but I am usually in a suit and on business.  How can I carry my G19 when I will be wearing very little clothes, sweating like a pig and chasing two young boys around the city?  I only have the G19 for a carry gun and a leather IWB holster.  

Ken
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
You could do the Florida touristy look and wear a fanny pack in the front with your piece in it.
It's going to be plenty warm for an IWB unless you do the Hawaiian touristy look with a 2-sizes-too-big shirt not tucked in.

And while you're in my hometown, thin the herd a bit, wontcha?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't carry if you plan to see any of the historical sites.  You have to go through security which includes metal detectors.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Don't carry if you plan to see any of the historical sites.  You have to go through security which includes metal detectors.

Never thought of that.  Do they have a locker for guns?  How they do handle people carrying?  

Ken
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure about lockers, but I will gladly hold your firearm till 5:30 when I leave work.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Not to steal the tread..... but i have a Florida Non Resident ccw permit and i live in New Jersey.
Can i legally carry in the city of Philadelphia? I knew i could carry legally in the state of Pennsylvania but...I thought if you wanted to carry in the city of Philadelphia you had to have a different ccw permit issued from the city.
I try to avoid Philadelphia at all costs because i thought i couldn't legally carry their. If that is not true it would change things for me.
Any help would be appreciated!    thanks
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Not to steal the tread..... but i have a Florida Non Resident ccw permit and i live in New Jersey.
Can i legally carry in the city of Philadelphia? I knew i could carry legally in the state of Pennsylvania but...I thought if you wanted to carry in the city of Philadelphia you had to have a different ccw permit issued from the city.
I try to avoid Philadelphia at all costs because i thought i couldn't legally carry their. If that is not true it would change things for me.
Any help would be appreciated!    thanks

Philadelphia is part of the Commonwealth, and have to follow the laws of the Commonwealth.  They are not exempt.  I'll dig up the CCW handout that the PAOFA.com website has when I get a chance.

eta for grammer.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#9]
With your Florida permit, you can open carry everywhere in PA except Philly
You can concealed carry everywhere, including Philly

But you'll need those pleated pants and some amount of chutzpah to concealed carry that 870
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I didn't think one needed any permits to OPEN carry, as open carry is perfectly legal without any permits/licenses.  Licenses to carry firearms are only issued to carry concealed, or to open carry in Philly.

Unless, of course, my reading comprehension has reverted back to third grade
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks for the replies   .sterling18 and njJoniGuy

i am so glad i can carry in philly now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Your choices with the G19, as previously mentioned, boil down to fannypack or untucked shirt.

Either one is perfectly acceptable and I have done both.

For these situations though, I normally bring my G26 riding in a pocket holster.

That has worked well for me thus far.

Some museums have high security, others have none.

Best method would be to call in advance to inquire about security.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Back from our trip in Philly.  Glad I decided not to carry.  We ended up visiting the Mint and most of the buildings run by the Park Service in Olde City.  None of the places allow weapons of any kind and do not have lockers.  Anyone carrying is SOL if trying to visit these places (could always run to your car and stash the gun).  Plus it was really hot and I had two little boys climbing all over me the entire time.  They really need to install lockers at the buildings, but with security concerns that will never happen.

Thanks for all of the input.

Ken
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top