Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2008 3:00:59 AM EDT
Ok, deftly stepping aside the issue of whether it's OK to participate:  $200 for all your beaters

Link

NYC Offers $200 Bank Cards for Illegal Guns

NEW YORK (AP)  -- Law enforcement authorities are inviting people to turn in their illegal guns this weekend for $200 -- no questions asked.

The program will be held Saturday at six churches in Brooklyn. People can turn in rifles, handguns and shotguns -- even if they're loaded -- as long as they're in plastic or paper bags or shoe boxes.

Each gun is worth a $200 Chase Bank card -- limit three per person. BB guns and air pistols are worth $20 each.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly promises the transactions will remain anonymous. He said the aim is to get weapons off the streets.

``Unfortunately, Brooklyn and New York City are still very much awash with guns,'' Kelly said. ``Police officers put themselves at great risk to make gun arrests.''

Plainclothes officers will be on hand at the churches to accept the firearms, and officials said anyone stopped en route to the drop-off points with handguns won't be prosecuted as long as the weapons are bagged or boxed.

Randolph Ferdinand, pastor of the Helping Hands Ministry, which is one of the participating churches, said he hopes the program is successful.

``We're in the middle of the mess,'' he said. ``But we believe all things are possible, and we want a better life for our young people.''

Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes said a similar initiative netted nearly 600 guns in 1999 and 650 in 2000. He said there was a marked decrease in gun violence after the programs.

This year, city officials have $300,000 to spend on 1,500 weapons and are hoping to run out of money.

The police department has an ongoing cash-for-guns program in which guns can be dropped off at any police station in exchange for $100. So far, the department has spent about $450,000 and received more than 4,000 guns.

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:09:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:18:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I heard about that this morning on the radio. I'm really thinking about bringing an Ithaca model 49 and getting $200.00 for it. I paid about $100.00 for it about 9 months ago and after a closer inspection of it I think it wasn't even worth the hundred bucks. I wouldn't mind getting $200.00 for it and putting it towards a nice black rifle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:38:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I love it LIMIT 3 per person

only to be lost in the property room
fucking rediculous

It would be great to use the bank card for AMMO
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#4]

awash with guns

Come on now....
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
I love it LIMIT 3 per person

only to be lost in the property room
fucking rediculous

It would be great to use the bank card for AMMOYes to be lost in the property room!!   Classic,  have to keep that money turning hands down in tammany hall somehow..
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Might be a good event to dump that M48 I have with the missing hardware and rusted out barrel...
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking of selling my AR-7 pistol I bought on a whim but this is a much better deal, also I can drop off 2 M44s :-D .
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Gad I remember when I was little my late uncle had found an old handgun in one of the Finger Lakes while SCUBA diving.  The action worked but I would not have wanted to try and get any ammo in to it.  I never did find out what happened to it but that would be a sweat deal at $200.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#9]
You bet, I think I might actually try to take advantage of this.  I just hope they take rifles.  Too bad I have to drive into the hood though...  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll make anyone here a deal.

If you're too lazy or busy to drive out there, I'll give you $100 cash up front and I'll take them over there for you  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Gad I remember when I was little my late uncle had found an old handgun in one of the Finger Lakes while SCUBA diving.  The action worked but I would not have wanted to try and get any ammo in to it.  I never did find out what happened to it but that would be a sweat deal at $200.

That was probably my grandfathers.  He had a few pistols that weren't registered.  When he died my grandmother had a friend throw them in one of those lakes (I don't know which one) because she always hated them and I guess had no idea how to properly dispose of them.  This was about fifteen years ago.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#13]
"Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes said a similar initiative netted nearly 600 guns in 1999 and 650 in 2000. He said there was a marked decrease in gun violence after the programs."

My ass it decreased from the buy backs.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I heard about that this morning on the radio. I'm really thinking about bringing an Ithaca model 49 and getting $200.00 for it. I paid about $100.00 for it about 9 months ago and after a closer inspection of it I think it wasn't even worth the hundred bucks. I wouldn't mind getting $200.00 for it and putting it towards a nice black rifle.

Dude,
That is funny!
Do it!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:37:32 AM EDT
[#15]
To participate in this, would give them credibility and support the anti's.

Yeah, I could come up with a few $50.00 crap guns to make $150.00 on, but I will NOT support the anti gun movement!

Bill
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:32:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No comment

I'm pretty sure that counts as a comment.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:47:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yeah, I could come up with a few $50.00 crap guns to make $150.00 on, but I will NOT support the anti gun movement!

Bill

I see it a little differently than you. The whole idea is that they're trying to take illegal weapons on the street. If everybody decides to take in junk guns and essentially sell them for way too much, their whole plan is blowing up in their faces. I think bringing in legal guns that are pretty much worthless and having the state give you $200.00 for each of them is a big fuck you to the state of New York. That's what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bill

I see it a little differently than you. The whole idea is that they're trying to take illegal weapons on the street. If everybody decides to take in junk guns and essentially sell them for way too much, their whole plan is blowing up in their faces. I think bringing in legal guns that are pretty much worthless and having the state give you $200.00 for each of them is a big fuck you to the state of New York. That's what I'm doing.

qft...  Now, to decide which church to go to...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#19]

I think bringing in legal guns that are pretty much worthless and having the state give you $200.00 for each of them is a big fuck you to the state of New York.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I can see the next hood rat caught with a gun saying "  I was just on my way to the gun buy back program at my local church"
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I wonder if you could bend up three $15 AK receiver flats (legally firearms) and get $600
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Anybody have the address for the churches?  Tried doing a google search but couldn't find any info.

$200 would be some nice stuff at the shack next week.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Make sure you paint them rainbow colored stripes before you hand them in.

It does say "illegal guns".  I wonder if they're sticklers on that. I also wonder if I get a receipt? That would be fun going out to police headquarters and getting it taken off my pistol license.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#24]
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07172008/news/regionalnews/200_gun_buyback_120294.htm
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#25]
hummm,

Maybe I should run out and buy three mosin nagant for what $200 bucks and make that back and $400 more.

Nice profit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Or, maybe we can look through the local fun shop for under $50 guns.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:22:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Article with locations, thanks Brick.

East New York, bring your kevlar, lol.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:21:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Don't worry there will be plenty of off-duty cops there turning in junk handguns at $200 a pop.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't worry there will be plenty of off-duty cops there turning in junk handguns at $200 a pop.

I read that off-duty cops and retired police cannot participate!

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:06:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read that off-duty cops and retired police cannot participate!

[LOL[

But GF and wives can.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#31]
To bad I'm in Miami (where the 2nd Amendment is still king) because I can get High Points for $100 a pop new. So a three hundred dollar investment would become a $600 dollar investment. That would be enough for me to build another AR-15.

Maybe I can convince City of Miami PD's scum sucking Chief John Timoney to do the same. He's anti-2nd Amendment. And a big fat ass snow bird. So yeah.... maybe I can get a cheap priced AR-15 out of the deal.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, I just got back from Brooklyn/ There ended up being a huge turn out and it took three hours from when I got in till when I left. Still not bad though. I sold a $100.00 gun to the state of NY for $200.00  Hundred dollars for sitting in an air conditioned church for 3 hours isn't bad I guess.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#33]
took me  about an hour to get through the one on New Jersey Ave

Me:  Less one rusty Ithaca Model 49, value $75

City of New York:  Less two hundred dollars
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Now that makes me sad. I would have traded you two guns to trade in for the Ithaca.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#35]
that Ithaca won't be missed, it was a POS
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I also traded an Ithaca 49. Mine was really pitted on the outside with a shitty bore. The front sight was chipped really bad, and the wood sucked. I took the adjuster out of the back sight so that it would lay on the barrel and the thing actually shot pretty well. No matter what though, it was worth much less than the state of NY was offering, so it had to go.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Previously there was a discussion about cash/goods for guns with a very divided opinion:
Hell yea I'll sell this POS for wayyy more than it's worth
OR

There's no way I'm selling anything to the low-life, feel-good, gun-grabb'n scum no matter how good a deal it is.
Pros & cons for both arguments, capitulation for neither, once again we've been divided.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Went to the Junius Ave location to give in a rusted up M48 and an old beat up Mosin who's barrel has long been shot out.  The place was kind of packed so my friends and I had to wait about an hour and a half to hand them in.  I felt really bad when I had an exchange with one of the collection officers:

Officer:  Do you know what this is?

Me:  Yes Sir, a Mosin in 762

Officer:  Do you know what this rifle did?

Me:  Yes Sir, helped win WWII

Officer:  Yes, it helped win WWII and now its going to be destroyed.

Officer:  What a shame...

Officer:  What a damn shame...

The sad fact is that I have to make room in the safe, and there is no way I would have gotten 200 bucks for either of them so it was adios...

Did see a younger woman hand in what looked like a German Officer's Luger Pistol.  The rest were all pocket revolvers and sawed of 12's and .410s.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Did see a younger woman hand in what looked like a German Officer's Luger Pistol...  

And you didnt make a side deal?....."Ill give ya $300 for that old thing...Heck..you look like a nice lady...$400...but thats it!  You drive a hard bargain!"
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Did see a younger woman hand in what looked like a German Officer's Luger Pistol...  

And you didnt make a side deal?....."Ill give ya $300 for that old thing...Heck..you look like a nice lady...$400...but thats it!  You drive a hard bargain!"

Nah, I don't have a pistol permit.  That and everyone had these pistols wrapped up in towels, plastic bags, socks etc. so you don't see them till they hit the table.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:19:11 AM EDT
[#41]

Buyback program nets 687 weapons

By Dorian Block, Kamelia Angelova and Brendan Brosh
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Saturday, July 19th 2008, 11:31 PM

A gun buyback program in Brooklyn took nearly 700 guns off the streets Saturday, a district attorney's office spokesman said.

Twelve assault weapons and 25 shotguns were among the ordnance turned in at six churches across Brooklyn, a spokesman for Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes confirmed.

Each of the 687 guns netted a $200 Chase Bank card for the person who turned it in. The transactions were anonymous with no questions asked.

"We have a steady flow," a police source said outside one of the sites during the collection. "These are guns that people don't want in their houses. These are guns that people bring from the South.

"For $200, I think it's a bargain," he added.

A receptionist at the Grace Baptist Church on New Jersey Ave. in East New York noted "a pretty good turnout."

"Everyone is happy to do the right thing and turn in their weapons," she added.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:03:23 AM EDT
[#42]
i think the anonymous part is complete bullshit, hence hence the cash cards....

just my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Maybe I can convince City of Miami PD's scum sucking Chief John Timoney to do the same. He's anti-2nd Amendment. And a big fat ass snow bird. So yeah.... maybe I can get a cheap priced AR-15 out of the deal.

You wouldn't believe how many Native  Floridians hate the fat-assed "snow birds" that move down South and try to  fuck things up the was they are up North.  

City of Tampa, FL has a photo imaging system that "looks" at a picture of a person passing through a security point, then compares that image to a data base of wanted/watched persons.....the couple hours spent in the Church waiting your turn was a perfect opportunity to visually identify who you were and if you were a person of interest.

Another piss-me-off point: If the City were holding any other function at a house of God the ACLU (and their cronies) would be screaming about the "separation of Church & State"  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#44]

July 20, 2008
New York Times
Swapping Guns for Cash, at Church
By COLIN MOYNIHAN

There was a time, in the 1970s and ’80s that handguns were so coveted on the streets of Kings County, that the borough gave rise to a law enforcement legend known as the Brooklyn Bounce. If you were to throw a gun from a window in Bay Ridge or Bushwick, so the legend went, it would be eagerly grabbed before it had a chance to bounce more than once.

Over the last decade or so, violent crime has dropped in Brooklyn, as it has in the rest of New York City, but plenty of guns are still in circulation. So for several hours starting on Saturday morning, six churches in central Brooklyn tried to help remedy that by inviting people to anonymously drop off firearms in exchange for cash cards worth hundreds of dollars.

The gun buyback program, which was financed by the New York Police Department and the Brooklyn district attorney’s office, was intended to complement an existing Police Department program that gives $100 to any person who turns in a gun to any police facility in the city.

People who showed up at the churches on Saturday with a working pistol, rifle or shotgun were given $200 cash cards for each weapon, with a limit of three payments. The cards can be used at stores or to withdraw money at A.T.M.’s. And while the police officers inside the churches were also accepting air guns and BB guns, people who surrendered those received $20 apiece.

On Saturday morning, the Brooklyn district attorney, Charles J. Hynes, visited the Southern Baptist Church in East New York and said that he was optimistic about the program. “We are hopeful that this will have a measurable effect in a further reduction of gun violence and murder,” he said. “I think we’re going to run out of money tonight.”

Two hundred thousand dollars had been allocated for the buybacks. Mr. Hynes said half came from his office’s asset forfeiture fund, which holds money confiscated in drug cases, and half was contributed by the Police Department.

Similar programs were carried out in 1998, when about 700 weapons were turned in to police precincts, and in 2000, when about the same number were handed over inside the lobby of Mr. Hynes’s office on Jay Street. Mr. Hynes said that he and Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly had decided to revive the program after being approached by Congressman Edolphus Towns.

Churches were picked as drop-off spots, Mr. Hynes said, in the hope that people who might feel anxious about bringing unlicensed weapons to a law enforcement building would feel more at ease at a place of worship.

At one of the churches, the Helping Hands Ministries in Brownsville, a line of people waited to enter the building. They were holding cardboard boxes, plastic bags and paper sacks containing firearms and bullets.

“We know there is an excess of guns in our neighborhood,” said Randolph Ferdinand, the pastor. “And they are in the hands of the wrong people.”

In the church basement, people sat in plastic chairs, waiting for their turn to present the weapons they had brought. Police officers examined the firearms to make sure they were in working order, and then participants departed with their cash cards.

Some complained about waiting two hours or more to complete the process, but most praised the program for taking instruments of deadly force out of circulation.

There was Fran Fiore, who traveled from Staten Island with a friend, Pat Argenziano, who turned in his three 12-gauge shotguns that had once been used for hunting in the Catskills. “They should do this more often,” Ms. Fiore said. “It saves lives.”

Kevin Joseph, a pastor at a church in Jamaica, Queens, turned in a .22-caliber pistol that his mother brought with her when she moved to New York from Florida. Mr. Joseph said that he had been bewildered about how to safely get rid of the weapon, and he considered it a bonus that he had accomplished that goal and received $200 in the bargain.

“I’ll let my wife decide what to do with the money,” he said as he was leaving the church. “She’s the one in charge of spending.”
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/07/20/nyregion/20guns.pop.jpg

July 20, 2008
New York Times
Swapping Guns for Cash, at Church
By COLIN MOYNIHAN

There was a time, in the 1970s and ’80s that handguns were so coveted on the streets of Kings County, that the borough gave rise to a law enforcement legend known as the Brooklyn Bounce. If you were to throw a gun from a window in Bay Ridge or Bushwick, so the legend went, it would be eagerly grabbed before it had a chance to bounce more than once.

Over the last decade or so, violent crime has dropped in Brooklyn, as it has in the rest of New York City, but plenty of guns are still in circulation. So for several hours starting on Saturday morning, six churches in central Brooklyn tried to help remedy that by inviting people to anonymously drop off firearms in exchange for cash cards worth hundreds of dollars.

The gun buyback program, which was financed by the New York Police Department and the Brooklyn district attorney’s office, was intended to complement an existing Police Department program that gives $100 to any person who turns in a gun to any police facility in the city.

People who showed up at the churches on Saturday with a working pistol, rifle or shotgun were given $200 cash cards for each weapon, with a limit of three payments. The cards can be used at stores or to withdraw money at A.T.M.’s. And while the police officers inside the churches were also accepting air guns and BB guns, people who surrendered those received $20 apiece.

On Saturday morning, the Brooklyn district attorney, Charles J. Hynes, visited the Southern Baptist Church in East New York and said that he was optimistic about the program. “We are hopeful that this will have a measurable effect in a further reduction of gun violence and murder,” he said. “I think we’re going to run out of money tonight.”

Two hundred thousand dollars had been allocated for the buybacks. Mr. Hynes said half came from his office’s asset forfeiture fund, which holds money confiscated in drug cases, and half was contributed by the Police Department.

Similar programs were carried out in 1998, when about 700 weapons were turned in to police precincts, and in 2000, when about the same number were handed over inside the lobby of Mr. Hynes’s office on Jay Street. Mr. Hynes said that he and Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly had decided to revive the program after being approached by Congressman Edolphus Towns.

Churches were picked as drop-off spots, Mr. Hynes said, in the hope that people who might feel anxious about bringing unlicensed weapons to a law enforcement building would feel more at ease at a place of worship.

At one of the churches, the Helping Hands Ministries in Brownsville, a line of people waited to enter the building. They were holding cardboard boxes, plastic bags and paper sacks containing firearms and bullets.

“We know there is an excess of guns in our neighborhood,” said Randolph Ferdinand, the pastor. “And they are in the hands of the wrong people.”

In the church basement, people sat in plastic chairs, waiting for their turn to present the weapons they had brought. Police officers examined the firearms to make sure they were in working order, and then participants departed with their cash cards.

Some complained about waiting two hours or more to complete the process, but most praised the program for taking instruments of deadly force out of circulation.

There was Fran Fiore, who traveled from Staten Island with a friend, Pat Argenziano, who turned in his three 12-gauge shotguns that had once been used for hunting in the Catskills. “They should do this more often,” Ms. Fiore said. “It saves lives.”

Kevin Joseph, a pastor at a church in Jamaica, Queens, turned in a .22-caliber pistol that his mother brought with her when she moved to New York from Florida. Mr. Joseph said that he had been bewildered about how to safely get rid of the weapon, and he considered it a bonus that he had accomplished that goal and received $200 in the bargain.

“I’ll let my wife decide what to do with the money,” he said as he was leaving the church. “She’s the one in charge of spending.”

Save the life of what, deer?

Thats the church I went to.  The reporter was refused admission to the building so had to report from outside.  I got the willies when I first pulled up because of the big Obama sign on the door.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I got the willies when I first pulled up because of the big Obama sign on the door.  

Well when he's president look for even more gun turn in programs.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#47]
No comment.

Lick the boots of your captors comes to mind if I was to make a comment.
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#48]
That reporter is a close family member of mine.  He's no friend of NYPD.

As an aside, I walked into another church on that list with a cigar box containing 3 POS revolvers in 32 S&W, 22 short and 38 S&W that cost me well under $150 in total.  $450 in profit for one hour's wait and a 35 minute drive to Crooklyn.  The POSs were purchased specifically for this exercise.  

I have no compunction about exploiting the offer at hand.  By my observation, I did not see any modern sidearms or mag-fed rifles being exchanged whiole I was present.  What I did see were several older and quasi-collectible hunting longarms and one sad exchenge of two US Military sidearms, one a S&W M1917 and the other a 1911 45 ACP (unknown date & age), both wrapped in kitchen towels, in full rigs and in good condition...obviously cared for over the years.  The bearer was an elderly, genteel and frail black lady and I could only surmise that they were her late husband's/brother's/uncle's, etc.  These were spirited away post haste.  I guarantee you they did not end up in a photo-op pic.

If only those sidearms could talk.  I can only HOPE that they were snagged by an LEO and that they'll end up, incognito, in his collection rather then be destroyed along with the trash this useless municipal exercise accumulated.  Blatant self-touting and useless opportunity on the part of the gov't.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Maybe I'm a bit of an idiot for even asking this, buy why wouldn't they catalog these weapons, find out which ones are in fact needed as evidence in crimes, and sell the rest. They'd be making money from the sale and if they're the ones organizing it they can be sure they're only getting sold to qualified individuals. I'd have no problem buying a firearm from a LEO. I just did last week. The guy was cool as hell.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Maybe I'm a bit of an idiot for even asking this, buy why wouldn't they catalog these weapons, find out which ones are in fact needed as evidence in crimes, and sell the rest. They'd be making money from the sale and if they're the ones organizing it they can be sure they're only getting sold to qualified individuals.
There are no qualified individuals as far as NYC is concerned. Guns are bad. Guns are evil instruments of death, mayhem, and baby murder. Didn't you get the memo?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top