Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2008 8:31:56 AM EDT
I'd like some new ideas for GATM# 6 guys!
Last year the .22 match was a big hit (THANKS TO FP1201) as well as the 3 gun (SP10)

What would YOU the shooter like to see this year?

As most of you know Annieo_LOL and I will be getting married the last of June, so we'll need to plan for late July/August/or September.

Throw out some topics, helpful hints, or constructive criticism to make this as memorable year as past get-togethers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
what? over 30 hits with no posts?
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]
How about a 50BMG shoot this year?
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
what? over 30 hits with no posts?

Some people like to digest what they've read before making a comment....
.22 and three gun would be good... Need more targets!
1/2" drills are fun, especially with the right targets...
Swap meet...
Tannerite...
Combat shotgun course?
Perhaps some instruction and/or drills by MDTS or students?
Precision match?
Maby a little Trap, Skeet, or just sling 'em in the air?
And for the "Jersey crowd: Hookers & blow  
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 4:36:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 6:58:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I VOTE .22, TANNERITE, AND PLENTY OF THE JERSEY GUYS!!!  

We know the what's on the Cuban contingents mind... don't we?

Maybe we can get MDTS to come this year, and have the cadre of his students put on a show for you guys who haven't been to one of his classes.

I like the 3 gun and precision stuff too.

We'll have to talk to the powers that be about .50 stuff.

Tannerite....defiantely!

LOTS OF FOOD

.22 matches were great last year, and probabaly just as important this year with the price of ammo

Link Posted: 2/2/2008 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#6]
We really could use more reactive targets for the .22's
Stuff that "swings & chings" is the best for improving your skills.
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Black powder is always always fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the IPSC style shooting that SP10 hosted and would like some .22lr shooting, I'm planning on having the GS-5 by then. Tactical shotgun shooting would be cool.
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#9]
for those of us who have never been and don't know much about it.  could you give me the low down?  where? etc.?
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
for those of us who have never been and don't know much about it.  could you give me the low down?  where? etc.?

It's around the Utica area of NY. It's a great shoot to go to. Only competition is friendly competition. Great people and food. It was my first time going to a shoot and it was a great experience. There are many differnet shooting "events" that happen over the two days (you can camp out overnight there.) Last year there was a CMP type event, IPSC, .22lr, etc.
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=267792

Hard to believe year 6 is fast approaching.
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#12]
looks like an absolute blast.  i was born in utica and grew up in westmoreland.  my parents still live in the area.  i would definately be up for this!
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#13]
- tannerite
- mad minute
- 3 gun
- 22 event(s)
- combat shot gun
- tannerite

Link Posted: 2/3/2008 4:39:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
- tannerite WITH TANNERITE
- mad minute  WITH TANNERITE
- 3 gun  WITH TANNERITE
- 22 event(s)  Tannerite doesn't work with .22's
- combat shot gun WITH TANNERITE
- tannerite   WITH FROZEN STUFF!      

Link Posted: 2/3/2008 5:06:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
- tannerite WITH TANNERITE
- mad minute  WITH TANNERITE
- 3 gun  WITH TANNERITE
- 22 event(s)  Tannerite doesn't work with .22's
- combat shot gun WITH TANNERITE
- tannerite   WITH FROZEN STUFF!      

Tannerite with $#!^metal guns?
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#16]
This sounds like a blast!
How did I miss these before?

All that has been listed sounds like fun!
Is it a camping thing and is it family friendly?
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Mad Minute

Tannerite (has that one been mentioned?)

Some kind of former service rifle competition, i.e. Rifles no longer in US or other service.

More .22 stuff

Definitely the 3 gun again, that was a hit, even if I didn't

EMPTY propane cylinders, they made great targets. I have a large quantity of the small camp stove size that are empty now that would be great for something on the .22 range

Not sure what the course is called, but some timed drills, shooting from different obstacles like the skids, or something made by us.

More Scotch drinkers

More food-on that note, I have started assembling a footlocker with plastic plates, metal silverware, cups, condiments, pans, utensils, all the stuff that cost each year and cuts into the food $$. Hopefully this is something that will stay together in the crate and be usable each year. Also built a couple of portable gunracks to give a little more table room, for both pistol and rifle, short and tall.

Prizes of some sort. I bought an extra Arfcom shirt from that special order that was just completed, to use as a prize next year, maybe someone has something else they would like to see there, or donate themselves.
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This sounds like a blast!
How did I miss these before?

All that has been listed sounds like fun!
Is it a camping thing and is it family friendly?

Yes on both. You can camp at the club, sleep indoors (clubhouse, bring a cot and bag) or out in a tent, bring your own unless AD1 is able to bring the monster again. Food and drink happens after everyone has a little fun on arrival night (Friday) and ends...well, whenever, been known to go till the wee hours.....

Definitely a family friendly atmosphere and I would dare say encouraged. Can you imagine if YOU were ten or so and got to take part in a shoot like this? Wish I did that young.
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#19]
What about having a bowling pin shoot?
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Bowling pins are fun, problem is standing them up: If were shooting at rifle distance, they fall over due to the grade of the range.  For handguns we really could use a table for two resions: the ground isn't level and it's hard/rocky,  2nd shooting them off the table for time is the proper way.  Does anyone have a metal table that won't die from a barrage of .45acp?

Family is good-to-go!
Typically wives don't appear or stay (whew!) however boys will be boys no matter the age. My sons have attended a few times...no problems (except the youngest boy trying to sell my M1A for $800 so he could buy a dirt bike)  

I don't mind bringing what metal targets I have, but the VW Van doesn't like pulling the hill empty, let alone a loaded trailer.
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
...no problems (except the youngest boy trying to sell my M1A for $800 so he could buy a dirt bike)  

So very sorry I missed that!

Any version of events wil be great I'm sure.
The team approach was allot of fun,
SP10 will come up with some challenges for sure.

Link Posted: 2/3/2008 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bowling pins are fun, problem is standing them up: If were shooting at rifle distance, they fall over due to the grade of the range.  For handguns we really could use a table for two resions: the ground isn't level and it's hard/rocky,  2nd shooting them off the table for time is the proper way. Does anyone have a metal table that won't die from a barrage of .45acp?

If there was enough interest in a bowling pin shoot I'm sure I could throw together a setup from wood and saw horses that would be okay on non level ground and could take getting shot w/ some rounds.
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 5:13:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bowling pins are fun, problem is standing them up: If were shooting at rifle distance, they fall over due to the grade of the range.  For handguns we really could use a table for two resions: the ground isn't level and it's hard/rocky,  2nd shooting them off the table for time is the proper way. Does anyone have a metal table that won't die from a barrage of .45acp?

If there was enough interest in a bowling pin shoot I'm sure I could throw together a setup from wood and saw horses that would be okay on non level ground and could take getting shot w/ some rounds.

Ask Aimless, he's our resident expert on shooting tables and desks!
Sorry Aimless I had to go there...
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask Aimless, he's our resident expert on shooting tables and desks!
Sorry Aimless I had to go there...

Ha waite 'till the next time you need a Lawyer...see who laffs then.
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
no problems (except the youngest boy trying to sell my M1A for $800 so he could buy a dirt bike)  

Almost had him to $600 on that, though buying your van and all contents for $2k was much more tempting...I really woulda gave you guys a ride home

I don't mind bringing what metal targets I have, but the VW Van doesn't like pulling the hill empty, let alone a loaded trailer.

That is some hill isn't it? I don't think that the rest between there and your location equal up to that last one...

The bowling pins are time consuming just in getting the damned things to stay upright much of the time, what about something like a piece of flat steel with a short piece of re-rod sticking out the bottom? Maybe even small squares of Plywod with a barn spike through em to give a reliable flat spot for setting on? Bowling pin T's...

For the table, I like Rich219's idea, just use a plank across a couple of horses, maybe have an end of the day drill and see who can cut through the thing first? I also generally have a few tables hanging around of little or no use, just firewood for the summer gods...

Link Posted: 2/4/2008 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Setting the pins is a PITA, but they are decent (CHEAP) reactive targets. Setting them on wood for a level surface is a very good idea, and one I have used at Otisco. Of course, Otisco is a bit more level than Greenfield.

Keep in mind we set up a fair number of pins for the 3man shoot. We could set up small clay birds (minis) at 100 yds for the precision rifles to speed things along rather than pins at 200. There are a lot of options.
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Setting the pins is a PITA, but they are decent (CHEAP) reactive targets. Setting them on wood for a level surface is a very good idea, and one I have used at Otisco. Of course, Otisco is a bit more level than Greenfield.

Keep in mind we set up a fair number of pins for the 3man shoot. We could set up small clay birds (minis) at 100 yds for the precision rifles to speed things along rather than pins at 200. There are a lot of options.

How about a simple suspension affair  like 2 metal fenceposts with a line, then hang the pins, they will still sway or if you hit the string on the pin it'll fall... suggest limiting the pins to 2 or 3 so they don't knock each other around making them too difficult to hit the pin beside the one already hit
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
no problems (except the youngest boy trying to sell my M1A for $800 so he could buy a dirt bike)  

Almost had him to $600 on that, though buying your van and all contents for $2k was much more tempting...I really woulda gave you guys a ride home

That is some hill isn't it? I don't think that the rest between there and your location equal up to that last one...

The bowling pins are time consuming just in getting the damned things to stay upright much of the time, what about something like a piece of flat steel with a short piece of re-rod sticking out the bottom? Maybe even small squares of Plywod with a barn spike through em to give a reliable flat spot for setting on? Bowling pin T's...

For the table, I like Rich219's idea, just use a plank across a couple of horses, maybe have an end of the day drill and see who can cut through the thing first? I also generally have a few tables hanging around of little or no use, just firewood for the summer gods...

The bowling pins would be muuch better served on a table in the pistol range (even with .22's) Saw Horses & plywood...palletts....old picknic table...kitchen table, nite stand... Hey there;s an idea:  We could set up a "middle of the nite" scenrio gottta hop outta the cot, find your weapon, engauge the target(s)  
For pins down range, something is needed to make them more stable...it's a bitch walking back up the hill to discover half the pins have succumbed to gravity.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
... Hey there;s an idea:  We could set up a "middle of the nite" scenrio gottta hop outta the cot, find your weapon, engauge the target(s)

I'm doing exactly that this Wednesday at our winter defensive pistol league. Pitch black (indoor range), on a cot; at the buzzer-get up, grab your flashlight and gun from a "nightstand" and move to engage targets with simulated walls/rooms.

The course designer is using a dim cyalume stick on the nightstand to simulate a little light so guys can find their gear. It is PITCH black on the indoor range with all lights turned off.

Fun stuff.
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Another item and something that I use is just a piece of rod sticking out of the ground and the pins fit over it by way of the recess in the bottom. They need only stick out about 1 1/2 inches to secure them, but they fall when shot with either pistol or rifle, even .22 if placed right.

Maybe even a combo of ideas to try out Friday night, and use the best Saturday. I have a 7 foot aluminum folding table that is welcome to be sacrificed, as well as 4 or 5 decent, though heavy end tables, they would definitely hold up to a day of pistol fire.

I like the hangers idea too, we can do something about the excessive swinging, piece of pipe over a short piece of chain will let it "react" but without flailing all over.
Link Posted: 2/6/2008 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I thought of dampening the swing of the suspended bowling pins with a weight or chain attached, the queston is, how much is too much weight?
Link Posted: 2/6/2008 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I thought of dampening the swing of the suspended bowling pins with a weight or chain attached, the queston is, how much is too much weight?

You must have WAY too much free time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2008 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey we could screw 'em to a piece of plywood, that way they would stay standing up...of course you'll have to hit them dead on at PB range with a 12a. slug to knock them over, but there'll be no doubt they were hit.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2008 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Hey we could screw 'em to a piece of plywood, that way they would stay standing up...of course you'll have to hit them dead on at PB range with a 12a. slug to knock them over, but there'll be no doubt they were hit.  

You might be onto something here, it doesn't have to be a large piece, a simple 4x4 square would do it and it would still fall over pretty easily, or at least react with lots of sign. Easy and basically free to boot.

AD1, as far as the weights thing, we can do some "testing" to find what would be good. We need a test day anyway, once the air clears of this crappy weather.

Another item that I use often is pieces of 3 and 4 inch solid drain pipe, not PVC like in your house, but for lining drainage around your house. Thin wall, cut to length, leaves little to no trace as it stays together and has a decent reactive quality to it as they weight next to nothing and launch when hit right. It can be cut with a little angle to it to stand on the ground better and will take as many rounds as the pins.
Link Posted: 2/6/2008 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might be onto something here, it doesn't have to be a large piece, a simple 4x4 square would do it and it would still fall over pretty easily, or at least react with lots of sign. Easy and basically free to boot.

AD1, as far as the weights thing, we can do some "testing" to find what would be good. We need a test day anyway, once the air clears of this crappy weather.

Another item that I use often is pieces of 3 and 4 inch solid drain pipe, not PVC like in your house, but for lining drainage around your house. Thin wall, cut to length, leaves little to no trace as it stays together and has a decent reactive quality to it as they weight next to nothing and launch when hit right. It can be cut with a little angle to it to stand on the ground better and will take as many rounds as the pins.

Link Posted: 2/6/2008 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't be a wussie, put yer snow shoes on and go set targets.  
I was being a smart-ass about screwing them to a sheet of plywood..you'd have to hit 'em pretty hard or use very small screws if you really did it.

For a .22 target: I was thinking about makeing some wind chimes: they might be fun and a bit more challenging as they are likely to be moving all the time....get into practice for dispatching unprotected bird species.
Link Posted: 2/6/2008 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#37]
How about sticking a piece of rebar into the ground and then drilling a hole into the bottom of the pin around 1/2 - 3/4'' deep and then setting the pin on it. I would think that this would work.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Don't be a wussie, put yer snow shoes on and go set targets.  
I was being a smart-ass about screwing them to a sheet of plywood..you'd have to hit 'em pretty hard or use very small screws if you really did it.

For a .22 target: I was thinking about making some wind chimes: they might be fun and a bit more challenging as they are likely to be moving all the time....get into practice for dispatching unprotected bird species.

I wasn't talking about a 4' x 4' sheet, but 4x4" little blocks maybe small, couple of screws in the bottom to secure each to their own. I will try it tomorrow for the hell of it, still have some pins laying around somewhere unadulterated. I think they would be just enough to steady it, but not impinge on the knock over fun.

I like the wind chimes idea, how do you think small Coleman stove type propane tanks would sound?

The idea Rich has works too, I use a piece of 3/8's rod most often as that is what is lying around, but the present hole in the bottom may accommodate a re-rod and still fall off....think I will look into that tomorrow too, though I believe I have probably enough of the 3/8's to last also.

If I could get my hands on a plasma torch, I have thought about for .22, taking a piece of say 1/2" plate, cutting a bunch of 1/2 dollar sized holes in it and tape the Daisy BB gun "clay disks" to the backside, shoot through the hole to pop the disk. Maybe 9 holes in it on a 3x3 pattern.

Snowshoes? We don't need no stinking snowshoes! 4-wheeler has plenty of shoe for that
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Is it that time already?

You guys are really dedicated.  Right here, right now, it's 30 degrees and snowing!
I can't even think about June yet.  (But I probably will)

Party on, Dudes!
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Is it that time already?

You guys are really dedicated.  Right here, right now, it's 30 degrees and snowing!
I can't even think about June yet.  (But I probably will)

Party on, Dudes!

Heck Roger,
You saw my new range at the house, Courtney and Annieo_LOL shoot in all kinds of weather.

This year I want to put the finishing touches on the range with a concrete pad, bench and roof.

If you get a chance after the spring thaw to get over this way, you ought to bring the tractor and help convince my Dad into putting in the 200 and 250 yard range.

I'm gonna need help  clearing trees/brush for the finishing touches for those disances before the leaves come out!
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#41]
heh, scheduling a shoot already?

Heres a sample of how it looks here..

and yes, these are actual photos from yesterday...

Link Posted: 2/10/2008 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Been there, done that....besides I don't need a reminder; see that schitt everyday and I'm sick of it.
When the kids are thru school, I'm moving South: Come along or stay, but I'm going.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Hey Ad1,
It sounds like a road trip to me! (e-mail sent)
But i don't know if the Tractor can do it.  Maybe 30-06 is not enough to clear those trees , we'll have to invite fp1201 with his binary.  That oughta' do the trick!

(from The Green Berets)
Doc McGee, "why do you like blowing stuff up so much?"
Sargent Muldoon, "When i was 10 my dad bought me a chemistry set, now its bigger than the both of us."

But we are drifting from the thread.  I wonder if i should bring my Rock Island .45, SP10's El Presidente drills were kind of fun.  Remember?  You and me were the only ones to shoot it with an AK. Did pretty good, too, IIRC.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing you guys, and maybe i can drag along some new friends.  Maybe some old ones, too.

Edited bcous eye kant spel.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn! I'm a thread killer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#45]
A practical/tactical super duper combat shotgun thingy with reactive targets of some kind would be fun. El Presidente with balloons/pins?

Link Posted: 2/10/2008 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
A practical/tactical super duper combat shotgun thingy with reactive targets of some kind would be fun. El Presidente with balloons/pins?

Yes, a shotgun shoot/course w/ reactive targets.
Link Posted: 2/11/2008 1:40:40 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Maby this time I kill the final target (clay disk) 18 rounds it still couldn't hit it....oh well, I kept him pinned down.

shotgun is good, hitting the "protected" isn't.
Link Posted: 2/11/2008 3:03:27 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maby this time I kill the final target (clay disk) 18 rounds it still couldn't hit it....oh well, I kept him pinned down.

Gee, I shot the center out of my Clay....with a F@#% Sheetmetal gun, and ARTraffic has the photographic evidence of it!
Link Posted: 2/11/2008 5:42:56 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gee, I shot the center out of my Clay....with a F@#% Sheetmetal gun, and ARTraffic has the photographic evidence of it!

It was too close...now had it been a couple hunnred yards out there.....
Link Posted: 2/11/2008 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#50]
+ + +  on the "shotgun event" I got a knox copstock coming on Wed for one
of  my remmie 870
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top