Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2007 10:26:15 AM EDT
Hello - first post here.. just wanna see say first that this forum is great.  Not only is there specific categories of guns but a hometown page as well? niceee

I was wondering there was anyone who could give me some insight on applying for a handgun lisence (target and hunting) in nassau county.  I have read the official site and understand I need to go to the office in minieola to fill out the paperwork.  I am a 24 yr old male, I own a rifle (Saiga 7.62x39) but have never applied for a handgun permit.  I have ever had any legal trouble.  Some of the issues I keep thinking about are:

How difficult is it really?
How long does is usually take?
If they interview me, what is an acceptable answer for reason wanting it? security... target shooting... because ive always loved firearms..?!

Maybe a summary of someones experience?
Bascially I am looking for advise from those that have been through the process.  Any insite on the topic is much appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:30:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
go pick up the forms, get the references and other forms notarized, get the two money orders, go in get printed, then wait.  thats about it.  if you have a nassau cop friend they can probably go into the pistol section to help speed things up for you.  

Read the sign on the wall that says how long it takes, and wait that long!
It is that easy as long as your four references can get their forms notarized quickly enough.

Bill

They were great over there.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the input guys.. im going to go down next week and grab the forms.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#4]
If asked, tell them you enjoy target shooting.  If prior military, tell them you miss that aspect of your service.  When I applied a few years ago after a six month wait they finally called me, but called none of my references, and asked where I would secure a pistol.   Tell them you are buying a large and heavy safe, not a small portable lockbox.  If you live with anyone, they will ask how they feel about it, and possibly ask to speak to them to confirm.  They actually spoke to my spouse after I handed her the cordless !  It used to be that you can not use a police officer friend as one of the references, not sure if thats still the case.   If you get this in now, you should have it by the fourth of July.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Same as mentioned above.  Really painless to do, and everyone was actually very nice.  I was expecting to be treated like a criminal for even trying to get a license, but the peope there were very helpful.

Of course now comes the wait.  I submitted my application on May 18th.  Fingerprints on the 22nd.  All references in by June 16th (2 of which are current permit holders, one has full carry for business, wonder if that helps).  November 18th made 6 months from the start of the process.  I havn't heard a single thing from them.  No calls, nothing.  I even called my investigating P.O on May 27th and left him a voicemail because I had received my first speeding ticket ever and was pleading guilty to the ticket and I wanted to notify them.  I really hope that this didn't screw me and that's why I havn't heard anything yet.

If I don't hear anything by the end of December (that will make 7 months, close to 8), should I call them?  I know on the website and in the office, it says the current wait time is 6 months and not to call them, but if its well over the  months, would it be bad to call them?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:20:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I submitted all my paperwork and was fingerprinted in March. I had my lisence in August. Everyone i delt with was great. Only issue, and not much of one, my investigator made me write and noterize a letter saying that I no longer drink alcohol. I copped to a rehab stint back in '91. Figured it would be better to let them know up front rather that them finding out. I was suprised at how nicely I was treated during the whole process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top