Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2007 9:11:16 AM EDT
I live in the upstate ny area here in rotterdam ny, and all the clubs beginning with the one I belong to(GUAN-HO-HA FISH AND GAME CLUB) IN GLENVILLE NY, now have a no rapid fire policy, and no more human shape targets. They will kick u out if u are seen using one! You can sneak a couple of double taps every once and a while with your pistol, but thats all. Anyone else encounter this at their clubs, and is there anywhere else I can find to shoot without so many restrictions near or close to my area? I'm sure this might of happened because of some idiot hip shooting all over the place or something, but I just don't understand the no human silhouette target policy. Must be a fud thing? If anyone knows any place please let me know, and thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like your ranges have been spitzered.
I guess with all the competition from Ahhhhnold in Komifornia and the legislature (soon to be lame ducks) here in the PRNJ, the pressure is on Eliot to get back in the race to have the Most AntiGun State.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]
O, man...

won't be shooting there anytime soon.

you guys can keep NY and NJ.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I belong to the Watervliet Fish & Game Protective Assn. in Albany and the rules are about the same. But I belive you can use human silloetes, but I'm not sure. There are times that it is empty so you can sort of do that stuff.

It does sort of suck that we get so limited here. If any one knows a more fun place, please chime in.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I also forgot to say that I have been useing a b-27 repair center that goes to the offical nra silhouette target. The only thing missing is head and arms. I just get a mental picture of the whole thing or sometimes I place a not too obvious bullseye over the top for the head shot.
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought GUAN-HO-HA FISH AND GAME CLUB was IDPA affiliated.  If so how are they running matches?  I know Waterveliet is USPSA affiliated and they hold monthly matches with the standard huminoid silhouette.  It might be a bit of a drive but Dunhams bay fish and game has no restrictions on target type or rate of fire that I am aware of.  

PS check with Sara-Spa as well.
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It sounds like your ranges have been spitzered.
I guess with all the competition from Ahhhhnold in Komifornia and the legislature (soon to be lame ducks) here in the PRNJ, the pressure is on Eliot to get back in the race to have the Most AntiGun State.

I wish I had a gun for everytime I've heard you use the term "lame duck" in the past 2 months.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Clifton Park Sportsmans Club

or

up in Milton the Kaderyoss Fish and Game club (spelling?!)

both are friendly to rapid fire and EBRs
Link Posted: 11/7/2007 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not 100% on this but I think GUAN-HO-HA FISH AND GAME CLUB did away with the IDPA a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 11/8/2007 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Cherry Ridge doesn't allow pictures, but does allow military / police silouettes. As far as rapid fire goes, it depends on the range officer's mood. I was just up there this afternoon and we had 4 guys shooting AR's and one guy with a M1 and we were shooting at a pretty good clip without any comments from the RO. Had to tell you is rapid firing when 4 guys are all shooting Rock River AR's...
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#10]
GUAN-HO-HA FISH AND GAME CLUB now outlawing any 50 cal bmg type firearms! Just got the news letter!

The libs score anotherone!

What will be next, ar's and ak's. I gota find another place to shoot before this happens. Pretty soon all u will be able to do there is throw stones at cups!!
What a bunch a fud fag's. All they care about there is when the next beer order is comming in.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#11]
We have those topics come up from time to time here in Rochester, but we always avoid the gun control issues and rule on actual safety, not perceived safety when we enact of refine any rules. Our 'rapid fire policy' is stated:

A reasonable and safe rate of fire is where every round you shoot hits your target.

We allow the IDPA cardboard targetson any of our outdoor ranges, and LE Targets Photorealistic types, but only on the indoor range.

We do not ban .50 cal or any other legal firearm that you can possess in NY.
Ours is a private club, membership only. We also happen to be 5 minutes or so outside of Rochester, NY. Not too bad.

Good luck. Maybe it's time to find another club to shoot at

Dave
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#12]
thats the first time i've heard of someone saying what kind of target you can shoot at. next thing you know PETA is going to step in and say you can't shoot the targets with a  turkey on them because its discriminating againt them......
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the infro guy's
I am looking into a posible range in Amsterdam NY. where u pay 20$ to shoot, and u can shoot anything u want at any type of target. Has anyone herd about this place?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Max 65 yards.  No rapid fire, and no cans or bottles shooting.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
..but I just don't understand the no human silhouette target policy. Must be a fud thing?

It's a public relations thing. Public perception thing. We're all living (shooting) on borrowed time, before all the ranges are closed down.

Just to play devils advocate, do you shoot a lot of humans? I guess not, which is probably why you need the practice.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
..but I just don't understand the no human silhouette target policy. Must be a fud thing?

It's a public relations thing. Public perception thing. We're all living (shooting) on borrowed time, before all the ranges are closed down.

Just to play devils advocate, do you shoot a lot of humans? I guess not, which is probably why you need the practice.

Thanks for the kind words man! Its nice to meet u too
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#17]
OK, I'll chime in.....

If you belong to a club they most likely have a standard set of rules and procedures for changing policy.  I forget the name of the system but it's a standardized method.  Most will have a two tier system, general membership meeings, and executive committee meetings.  They create a lot of this crap in the Exec committee meetings but are supposed to present it to the general membership for approval.

Your reporting sounds like you don't go to those meetings.  You abandoned your rights at that point.  The old fudds in charge sold you out because they didn't even have to face your dissenting opinion.  I know those god damned meetings are quite boring and I seldom (if ever) attend myself.  I currently belong to two clubs and have belonged to 3 others.  I was only really active in one.  

We had some guys announcing rules that never went through the membership or even exec committee.  Like one instance a club board member (trustee IIRC) decided on his own that my friend couldn't shoot his scoped hunting .44 magnum pistol on the 100 yards rifle range and must use the pistol range that was only 50 yards.   No rule on the books, he just deciced it.  It got straightened out in the next meeting but it was offensive to say the least.

Some of the restrictive policies are just plain wrong and some are in reaction to unknown persons maliciously shooting up target frames, cables, ceilings, etc.  Most clubs I've belonged to don't have RO's unless there is a competition going on.  It's self policing and sometimes people "play" around when no one else is around. like shooting their rifle at the plywood target numbers below the target.

The .50 cal thing can be something as basic as it's chewing up the backstop and they're worried about liability.  I live in flat lands now and the berms are made up and not natural.  Most clubs should have the berms improved but they generally are 8-15 tall.  If that is the reason, hopefully it was discussed fully in the general membership meeting before being approved by the membership.

The battle over target shape is a spurious and obviously political one at best for the club.  The second amendment isn't just for bullseye shooters or bench rest and they need to be reminded of that during your club's meetings.  You need to tell them in no uncertain terms that rules like this are a cause for people to quit and go to other clubs.

I can remember some minor battles over rules at the aforementioned Watervliet Fish and Game. back in the 80's and 90's  The involvement of younger members did help reverse some of the silliness you described.  I don't know how many times some ole fudd would dare to say he didn't like my AR because no one needed them except for the mil. (meanwhile he wanted me to track down NM sights for m14's/garands at the state armory and five finger discount them for him-big negative on that happening!)  The second or third time, I jumped his ass (verbally) and didn't hold back one bit on how stupid views like that were divisive.

OK, that's my $0.03 worth.

Bottom line is I ask you to be involved in your club to make it be the club you want and need it to be.

SoS
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#18]
height=8
Quoted:
OK, I'll chime in.....

If you belong to a club they most likely have a standard set of rules and procedures for changing policy.  I forget the name of the system but it's a standardized method.  Most will have a two tier system, general membership meeings, and executive committee meetings.  They create a lot of this crap in the Exec committee meetings but are supposed to present it to the general membership for approval.

Your reporting sounds like you don't go to those meetings.  You abandoned your rights at that point.  The old fudds in charge sold you out because they didn't even have to face your dissenting opinion.  I know those god damned meetings are quite boring and I seldom (if ever) attend myself.  I currently belong to two clubs and have belonged to 3 others.  I was only really active in one.  

We had some guys announcing rules that never went through the membership or even exec committee.  Like one instance a club board member (trustee IIRC) decided on his own that my friend couldn't shoot his scoped hunting .44 magnum pistol on the 100 yards rifle range and must use the pistol range that was only 50 yards.   No rule on the books, he just deciced it.  It got straightened out in the next meeting but it was offensive to say the least.

Some of the restrictive policies are just plain wrong and some are in reaction to unknown persons maliciously shooting up target frames, cables, ceilings, etc.  Most clubs I've belonged to don't have RO's unless there is a competition going on.  It's self policing and sometimes people "play" around when no one else is around. like shooting their rifle at the plywood target numbers below the target.

The .50 cal thing can be something as basic as it's chewing up the backstop and they're worried about liability.  I live in flat lands now and the berms are made up and not natural.  Most clubs should have the berms improved but they generally are 8-15 tall.  If that is the reason, hopefully it was discussed fully in the general membership meeting before being approved by the membership.

The battle over target shape is a spurious and obviously political one at best for the club.  The second amendment isn't just for bullseye shooters or bench rest and they need to be reminded of that during your club's meetings.  You need to tell them in no uncertain terms that rules like this are a cause for people to quit and go to other clubs.

I can remember some minor battles over rules at the aforementioned Watervliet Fish and Game. back in the 80's and 90's  The involvement of younger members did help reverse some of the silliness you described.  I don't know how many times some ole fudd would dare to say he didn't like my AR because no one needed them except for the mil. (meanwhile he wanted me to track down NM sights for m14's/garands at the state armory and five finger discount them for himhat
OK, that's my $0.03 worth.

Bottom line is I ask you to be involved in your club to make it be the club you want and need it to be.

SoS
Thats really cool that u said that. I am going to go to a meeting as soon as the next one comes up. I looked alittle further into the matter and found out that some of the younger members (punk's) were shooting rapid fire from the hip, and not even aiming. There is always some one running it for everyone. They should of just kicked them out of the club, but who knows why they didn't? Even so it kinda stinks. The majority of shooters I see there are semi auto owners. The hunters just sight the rifles and shotguns in once a year, and never look back. I guess there is not much to be said of what can be done about it. People are people, and some of them are idiots who reck it for everyone. Safety is #1 so we can't have this happening or someone is gona get hurt. I'm sure if they could have a RO there all of the time, none of this would of taken place.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I hear ya regarding what happens with no one watching.  sucks that the cost the club money and degrade the facility.

Glad you're willing to help steer the boat.!

Good luck man!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top