BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2007 2:40:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:29:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Towns on the North Shore or pretty good in general.  I know people that live in Shoreham  and they like it there. The homes for what i can see are kept up well.  Check into the schools because I live about 15 minutes south of shoreham and my school district is horrible.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:57:22 AM EDT
[#3]
baron368, what's your district that's so horrible?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey All,

New member here. Hello to everyone.

Rocky Point and Shoreham are both really nice and safe areas "generally speaking". There are a few not so nice parts in Rocky Point, but nothing terrible.

The thing you need to watch out for is to make sure that you don't move into the Longwood or Middle Island school districts if you have kids. Longwood especially incorporates an area of Coram that is among the worst places on Long Island.

Stay up north towards the sound, and take up scuba if you move out there. Lots of great shore diving and spear fishing opportunities right off of the beach. The Shoreham jetties are great for Blackfish....
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#7]
WTF is wrong with you? Get out while you're young and before you're saddled down with a wifey-poo, a couple of crumb munchers and a mortgage.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
baron368, what's your district that's so horrible?

William Floyd
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
Wading River here...

The district to the south mentioned above is Longwood. My neighbor taught there and it's not horrible and not your district.

Parts of Rocky Point are in the Longwood school district. My wife and I were considering moving there and did a lot of research on it. You have to be careful with the zoning. Longwood has gone downhill over the last 5 to 10 years, and it wasn't exactly great before.

If you don't consider sending your kids to school with MS13 and Crip gang members horrible, then have at it. Take a drive through Gordon Heights (also Longwood) to see who their classmates will be.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I lived in Sound Beach till 2005 then I moved to VA. I had kids so it was nice to be in the Miller Place School District. ( Sound Beach is split between MP and Rocky Point districts).

It was a good place to live, not much trouble and the taxes were good (a little over 3k when we moved)

We were a 5 min walk to the beach off Woodhull Landing Rd.

For Long Island it had a pretty nice local feel.

But sure as hell happy I moved
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:21:51 AM EDT
[#13]
LI:

Traffic up the wazoo. What are you going to do in ten years when it is even more congested

Two of the most anti-gun counties in the state

High real estate prices

Some of the highest sales, school and property taxes in the state

Some of the highest utility rates in the state

Unless you have an airplane or boat on LI Sound/ocean don't expect to get off the island in a SHTF emergency.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:35:14 AM EDT
[#14]
The wife and I used to shore dive out in Greenport all the time. One day we decided to take a motel room so we could do a morning dive the next day, and cut out some driving. We tried taking a walk that evening, and I have never seen a neighborhood change so drastically from day to night. The place goes from Disney to downtown Detroit within an hour
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey,
I live in Shoreham and think it's great. (I grew up in Wading River.)
Rocky Point is okay. It sometimes has a "low end" vibe...but it's fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top