Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2007 4:26:04 PM EDT
This question is for my brother.
We are a little confused about the NY AWB.
A) A gun that has a detachable mag and a pistol grip cannot have 2 or more of the list of "evil" features
B) Does the detachable mag and pistol grip count as 2 of the "evil" features?

If A is correct, then it could have no more than 2 of the following features-  bayonet lug, fixed flash-hider, collapsible stock...

If B is correct, then the fact that it is an AR takes up 2 of the evil features
(detatchable mg and pistil grip) makes all the others banned? So no bayonet lug, flash-hider, collapsible stock...?

I read the text of the NY ban at the top of this forum, but I'm still confused by the legalese. It repeats some stuff twice, so I'm not sure of some things.

Thanks in advance

EDIT TO ADD- He lives in the Endicott area, near Binghamton. Are there any additional laws in that area?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I can add another question to this one.

What if a NY resident was to put one of those california mag release buttons with the set screw on their AR.....it would no longer have a detachable mag. would this allow teh use of a colapsable stock?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I can add another question to this one.

What if a NY resident was to put one of those california mag release buttons with the set screw on their AR.....it would no longer have a detachable mag. would this allow teh use of a colapsable stock?

Yes, I believe so, as long as the magazine is fixed.  For the guy up top, in NY, use of a collabsible stock, any flash hider, and bayo lug is not allowed if you have a pistol grip and Detachable magazine.  You'd have to have a fixed stock, a ground off bayo lug, and a permanently affixed muzzle device that is not a flash hider.  i.e. Muzzlebrake.  Good luck to ya bud.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#3]
question 1 ...B
question 2 ...yes
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the quick response
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#5]
In NYS, as with the federal law, a rifle "qualifies" to be an "assault weapon" if it is semi-automatic and can accept a detachable magazine; accepting the magazine is not an "evil" feature itself.  Once you have yourself a semi-auto rifle that can accept a detachable magazine, if it has 2 or more of the following features, it is an assault weapon:

1.) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicously beneath the action of the weapon
2.) A bayonet lug
3.) A threaded barrel that is capable of accepting a suppressor or flash hider
4.) A rifle grenade launcher
5.) A flash hider
6.) A folding or telescoping stock

If you have a post-ban AR- type rifle, it can have a pistol grip, but no other feature.  Once you have 2 or more, your rifle is violating the law.  

If however, your rifle or lower receiver was made before Sept. 14, 1994, it called a pre-ban, and can be loaded with all your favorite evil features.  Don't be confused with vendors from other states who list their rifles and receivers as "pre-ban" on online stores and auction sites- they usually aren't.  They mistakenly call their rifles "pre-ban" when they are actually "no-ban."
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Binghamton area has no local AWB laws.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

But there is the state AWB.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But there is the state AWB.  

That is true, he asked specifically about the Binghamton area though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the clarification.
I wasn't 100% clear if it was "more than 2 features" or "2 or more features" it is banned.
Pistol grip and detachable mag is all that is allowed.
Wow, that's a dangerous gun, I better warn my brother to be careful around it, if he doesn't watch it it might cause crime.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wow, that's a dangerous gun, I better warn my brother to be careful around it, if he doesn't watch it it might cause crime.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top