Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2006 1:08:32 PM EDT
I dont have a freakin clue how to re load, but I can see Im gonna have to. I want to start with .308 and move to 5.56. I dont even have the equipment yet, but I already bought the brass, powder and bullets
So Im a bit optimistic,
Can any of you locals help a brother out ? I just got this DPMS LR 308 from the EE , brand spankin new and beggin to go to Calverton this weekend, after the trip, Im sure I ll have more brass!!!
I need direction and advice.
Thanks,
Paul
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Start herewww.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=9 and then invest in some good reloading manuals................................................................................................................

ps Take your time and be safe!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#2]
It is not hard to do your own reloading, I've been at it for 40 years now, and I like you needed help when I started. What I did was read as much as possible, look at equipment etc. Now it is alot easier with the internet. If you live where or near a range talk to the people there about starting to reload, most people are friendly and will be more than happy to answer questions. See if anyone lives near you, check out gun clubs etc. Where in NY are you from? My reloading presses are MEC for shotgun, Dillon press, RCBS rock chucker, an unknown press used for pistol ammo.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Im trying to hook up and watch someone actually load some ammo, I knew a guy in Pa. that was really good, I called but havent gotten a call back, havent seen him in a dozen years and dont know if the number was still good.
Im on Long Island Near the Bethpage Golf course. I also have a place In upstate NY near Middletown that I go to quite a bit.
I dont need to do anything extravagant, just a good reliable simple setup that will enable me to do maybe 100 rounds at a time ( over the course of an afternoon or evening ) to keep up with with I shoot at the range.
I think if I can see someone actually doing the process, it will make things that much easier. Im not a really good "directions" guy, but I can build just about anything once I have seen the end product or the process involved.
Thanks,
Paul
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
The main thing to decide is in my opinion the long run.I started with a rcbs single stage but have since added to both my handgun and longgun collection.I now use a Dillon RL550 to keep up.As far as a progressive goes it's pretty easy and convenient to use.The initial costs are high but with it I can do about 400 rds. in the time I could do 50 with my single stage.Caliber changeover is quick to do as well.If you plan to shoot alot a progressive may be for you.Have 450 lonely .45 auto cases in need of it's services come to think of it.
Shoot 'em often,We'll make more
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't worry about too much stiff. Right now you only need to do one thing. 1st thing to do is buy a reloading manual (or 2 or 3 or 8). then READ THEM. You have to learn theory first.

It's not hard to learn to get started. I started by watching and helping my dad when I was a kid. By Jr. High I was loading solo. You will never stop learning to reload.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#7]
PaulT,   The reloading process is way easier than you think.  Just two things to get right.  One :   Follow the manuals advise, and check everything twice.  Two:  Don't do anything but reload, while learning ( and afterwards) distractions will be a major problem manufacturer.  Read the basic's section in the reloading manuals.  Pick a simple basic bullet and powder combination (powders for .308 and 5.56 can be the same!  Use goood quality tools and learn how they work.  Your first reloads may shoot better than factory.  Sierra 155 Palma's and a good accurate 52 grain HP for the AR.  Good shooting.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:07:01 AM EDT
[#8]
IM sent
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:43:27 AM EDT
[#9]
As a kid I used to reload with my dad , we used the lee loaders I now have, but I tried them yesterday and dont think thats the way to go for me. I have a box of old time reloading stuff that me and my Dad used in the 1970s, and as in a previous post, I shot a couple boxes of 308 we had reloaded in 1973, all of it worked perfectly. I have read a few books and LOTS of internet info and Im not too concerned about much except sizing cases and OAL of brass. Also I worry that the semi auto might damage the brass.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:39:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Pault, IM sent to you. Get back to me when you can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top