Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 9:25:57 PM EDT
Just curious... what are the county requirements for obtaining a pistol permit in Putnam County?

I looked all over on-line & I can't find any info specific to this particular county.

Fees? Character references? Saftey classes?

What the heck is required???

Thanks.    
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:45:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Why don't you call?

Pistol Permits (County Clerk's Office)
Phone: 225-3641 Extension: 307

That's right off the Putnam County website...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#2]
You must be a county resident for six months.

You need four NY state references. They can be from anywhere in the state.

You need a safety class that is given for free by the Sheriff's office.

I think the fee is around $100 for everything.

You will get a target and hunting license because the previous Sheriff decided he didn't like us commof folk packing heat to the stop and shop. Ammendments take about 5 working days and the county clerk's office is very gun friendly. One of the clerks notorized both my CT and FLA parmits applications for free.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You must be a county resident for six months.

You need four NY state references. They can be from anywhere in the state.

You need a safety class that is given for free by the Sheriff's office.

I think the fee is around $100 for everything.

You will get a target and hunting license because the previous Sheriff decided he didn't like us commof folk packing heat to the stop and shop. Ammendments take about 5 working days and the county clerk's office is very gun friendly. One of the clerks notorized both my CT and FLA parmits applications for free.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Putnam sounds a lot better than Westchester.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#4]
But it still sounds like crap.

I just hate restrictions tacked on by petty  bureaucrats.

The NYS pistol permit process as a whole is absolute garbage.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder in the NRA &/or NY gun organizations are willing to take NYS to court.

Specifically, on the issue where if you move from one county to another, you have to repeat the entire application process (references, prints, etc). I've racked my brains, and I can't seem to find any other type of licensing that requires this.

Not electrician's licenses
Not being a doctor / nurse / dentist/ embalmer
Not being a Professional Engineer
Not being a security guard
Not a painter, a prostitute (politician) nor programmer.
Not a CDL license holder.
Not a cable company, a radio station nor a strip club (subject to local ordinances of course).

Not a livery driver, a livery car company.
Shit, you don't even need that much paperwork if you're moving your MOB operations from Fulton to the S. Bronx.
Not a daycare (think about the KIDS!!!!), not for a zoo or circus or school.
Not for a garage, a jewelry store, a deli.

Did I miss any?

My argument is that those requirements, which are already mandated by the state are unneccessary, duplicitous, redundant, etc etc. If the state is doing such a GREAT job of managing the database of REGISTERED handgun owners and their guns, why does each county need to re-invent the wheel?

I understand the NYC is an almost lost cause for now, but why is it so hard for the STATE to set the rules by which all counties follow?

And what is the great big frigging hangup with giving a little to get a little? Every range, every gunshop I frequent, I hear the common cry

"oh NO, you don't want to negotiate with those bastards at the state level!!!! They'll take away our "non renewable" permits and mandate training.

SO F'ING WHAT??? While we're bitching and moaning about this, we can't fall over ourselves fast enough to send in our prints and NRA certification to Florida and Utah for their permits.

The reality is: We're NEVER going to be a shall issue state until you can convince my wife/mother/other nervous nellies that you're safeguarding the process to ensure that those who carry understand the law and the mechanics of a handgun. For that, we are going to need a "minimum standard" test and some other crap.

Hey, sorry for the digression. My wife went out and left me with a cranky kid with a fully loaded diaper.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Dutchess is not too far away.  No restrictions for now.

It took me awhile to make it a habit to strap on my SIG all the time.  Having a restricted license in Westchester for 15 years makes it un-natural to do such a thing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#7]
ml2150, I've always wondered that too.  Bottom line is gun owners are unpopular with the sheeple and easy to legally harrass without any sympathy.  I tell non gun owning (but not gun banning) people I know that as a group, legal gun owners overall are far more trustworthy than most other groups.  Not only that, with the laws varying from county to county despite the fact we all live in the same state imagine if drivers licenses varied in each county.  How many DMV buildings would be on fire cause they pissed off the wrong people.  Lord knows how many wackos are on the road.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top